Tuesday 16 September 2014

Simple vegan chocolate cupcakes

Sylvia had just arrived home from school.  She was hungry.  Usually she is happy with bikkies and hummus as a snack.  Instead she suggested I make chocolate chip and cola muffins.  Those muffins were great but quite rich.  I wanted something lighter.  I remembered the vegan chocolate cupcakes that I baked for her birthday.

Back then I had accidentally added only half the flour.  They were good but very soft.  I decided to make them as the recipe said.  Then I tweaked them.  They were excellent.  More substantial and satisfying this time.  We all loved them.

Somehow Sylvia has gone off icing (frosting) on cakes.  Perhaps she has picked up on my dislike of it.  Too sweet, she says.  I just sieved a bit of icing sugar (powdered sugar) on top.  Somewhere - Pinterest no doubt - I saw someone had placed lace over their cupcakes to make pretty patterns with icing sugar.  It didn't quite work the same with me.  Possibly my cupcakes were too small or the paper doily not lacy enough.  It just looked like a light sprinkling of snow.  Which is not a bad thing.

I am sending these little cakes to Stuart of cakeyboi for September's Treat Petite blog event.  The theme is Anything Goes.  He runs the event with The Baking Explorer.

More vegan sweet treats from Green Gourmet Giraffe:

Vegan chocolate cupcakes
Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World via Chow
Makes 24-30 mini cupcakes

1 cup soy milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 plain white flour
1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup rice bran oil
1/2 cup of choc chips
icing sugar, for sprinkling

Mix soy milk and vinegar in a large jug and leave aside to curdle.

Preheat oven to 180 C and line two to three mini muffin 12 cup tins with mini muffin papers.

Mix dry ingredients in a medium large mixing bowl. Whisk the sugar and oil into the milk mixture. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined. Spoon the mixture into cupcake papers, filling about 3/4 to the top.

Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked (when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out cleanly). Cool on a wire rack.  Sprinkle with icing sugar or frost if desired.

On the Stereo: 
Nightclub Jacks and Undertakers: Chicken Tractor Deluxe

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food September 2014.  This year for Vegan MoFo my theme is The Letter S.  Today is S for Same Same Tuesdays.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2014 Vegan MoFo posts. 

9 comments:

  1. We love these cupcakes too, although lately we have been making the choc cupcakes from Oh She Glows. My Sylvia insists on icing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look quite similar to my classic, never fail vegan chocolate cupcakes. They are always amazingly fluffy and I agree with you and Sylvia - icing really isn't required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been able to get the lace pattern on top using icing sugar and a doily either. I wonder what we're doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're vegan, but they are so lovely and light! Very impressive x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. H has been madly baking chocolate cakes here lately, because she should be studying! I think it's called procrastabaking or something, isn't it? I love the S for Simple - very resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little guy doesn't like icing either and also complains it's too sweet. I've never tried chocolate and cola muffins! These vegan muffins look great and I think a sprinkle of sugar as 'icing' is just perfect xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to enter - a petite treat indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funnest after school snack ever! Or just plain, "whenever I feel like it" snack time. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always a sucker for simple cakes! :-) These look really moist and delicious.
    I prefer no icing on my cakes too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)