I wish I could tell you that I am making amazing meals at home but they are often grabbed in haste. Having Sylvia at home from school last week, having 4 medical/dental appointments (quite a few already planned as check ups and a flu jab), means I am so pleased to have a weekend to relax and have some time to sort the house.
It is amazing to think that I made these muffins a week and a half ago. It seems like a lifetime ago that the kids were at school and my workplace was open. But already I was working from home and missing all the food we share at work and being able to nip out to shops at lunchtime. I was craving freshly baked food. These muffins were inspired by leftover fruit that I wanted to save. Even then I was aware that I had to use my food wisely. And I had bought a bag of passionfruit that we had forgotten. Sylvia took some to school but a few showed spots of mould. We also had a bruised orange, some leftover wedges of orange from Sylvia's lunchbox, and a decaying box of strawberries. Some was beyond redemption. I salvaged what I could.
passionfruit and strawberry muffins that I made four years ago. It seems like another lifetime ago, having energy for volunteering, sharing food, children playing together at a working bee! I first turned to a bookmarked passionfruit teacake but it wasn't quite what I wanted. I did get inspired by it to use some coconut. These muffins were made late at night after Sylvia went to bed and eaten often at the computer while I worked at home. Home baking is a great comfort. I am now working up to baking hot cross buns!
Meanwhile I have been thinking about music for CoVid19. So I will leave you with two lists. One is a CoVid19 play list and one is a list of CoVid19 humourous versions of popular songs that have given me a laugh (because we need to laugh!).
My CoVid19 playlist
(that I would put on Spotify if I had an account!)
- From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly
- The fear - Pulp
- What about me - Moving Pictures
- Don't stand so close to me - The Police
- My wandering days are over - Belle and Sebastian
- Doctor doctor - Thompson Twins
- Changes - David Bowie
- It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) - REM
- Regret - New Order
- All in this together - Ben Lee
- In between days - The Cure
- i will survive - Gloria Gaynor
- Dancing with myself - Billy Idol
- Subterraean home sick blues - Bob Dylan
- All by myself - Eric Carmen
- Fire and rain - James Taylor
- There is a light that never goes out - The Smiths
- Stayin alive - The Bee Gees
- I'm still standing - Elton John
- Here comes the sun - The Beatles
10 Funny CoVid19 videos of popular songs:
- My corona home (Kokomo originally by The Beach Boys)
- Coronavirus rhapsody (originally by Queen)
- I can't get no santiser (originally by Rolling Stones)
- Wash your hands (originally by Taylor Swift)
- Imagine there's no bog roll (originally by John Lennon)
- Torn (originally by Natalie Imbruglia)
- Yesterday (originally by The Beatles) -
- We didn't spread the virus (originally by Billy Joel)
- Somewhere over the rainbow (originally sung by Judy Garland)
- Stayin Inside (originally by the Bee Gees)
Apple, passionfruit and macadamia muffins (gf)
Purple passionate pine pom juice (gf, v)
Strawberry and passionfruit icy poles (gf, v)
Strawberry passionfruit muffin (v)
Tropical orange and carrot smoothie (gf, v)
Passionfruit and Orange Muffins
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe
Makes 12 mini muffins
2 tbsp chia seeds - plus 4 tablespoon water - soaked
3/4 cup milk ( I used soy)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate (baking) soda
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup chopped strawberries (or more passionfruit pulp)
1/4 cup passionfruit pulp
1/2 cup orange juice (or more passionfruit)
Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tins.
Mix chia seeds with 4 tablespoon of water and set aside. Also mix milk and vinegar to curdle for about 5 minutes. (I think I did the chia and milk mixtures together in a small mixing bowl.)
Mix flours, baking powder, bicarb soda, sugar and coconut in a large mixing bowl. In the small bowl, mix chia mixture, milk mixture, passionfruit, orange juice and strawberries. Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture and mix until combined.
Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewed inserted comes out clean. Leave in tins for 5-10 minutes and then remove and cool on a wire tray.
NOTES: these are quite light and fruity. They could be iced or frosted if desired. I tried one with cream cheese on it and it was ok but I preferred the one I spread with peanut butter.
On the Stereo:
No Need to Argue: the Cranberries