- About Me
- About this Blog
- Recipe Index
- Reflections and Reviews
- Kitchen Notes
Friday, 22 June 2018
Cindy and Michael's review late last year soon after opening. They enjoyed it but the dishes didn't look mind-blowing - with only one vegan main - and nor did the place. Move forward 6 months, a new chef and the place seems to have hit its stride. The majority of dishes are vegan with quite a few gf options, and lots of innovative dishes, as one would expect of a head chef who spent 6 years at Ottolenghi restaurants. Looking back at Cindy and Michael's photos, some nice decorative touches have been added to the retro wallpaper such as the collection of Australiana plates high on one wall of the dining room.
The pierogi does not seem to have the slaw on the side in the latest iteration of the menu which is a shame but maybe it will come back. I had the pierogi today with the caramelised onion and silverbeet. (Sadly the chickpea pancake had disappeared from the menu which had got great reviews.) This serving had more pierogi with the vegies hidden underneath. Again the dumplings were superb and wonderfully warming on a winter's day.
I saw the chef walking past and asked him if it was served warm. He said he could microwave it and I said yes please. He took it into the kitchen and yelled, they hated it! I assume he was joking. I hope so because once it was warmed up I loved it. The rhubarb was cooked to melting perfection and added great flavour. It contrasted nicely with the crunchy texture of the toasted slivered almonds.
Green Man's Arms
418 Lygon St, Carlton VIC 3053
+61 3 9347 7419
Hours: Mon-Thurs: 4pm til late, Fri-Sun: 12pm til late
Tuesday, 19 June 2018
vegan fluffy pancakes recipe but which one suits you best and then how it suits you best.
Regular readers know I am not keen on eggs. We don't always have them in the fridge and when we do, I find they don't get used. So I decided to use some up in pancakes. As I am not so keen on the taste of them, I sought a recipe with just one egg rather than 3 or 4. This suited me but I tried the suggestion to put 1/4 cup of batter to make uniform pancakes and then I just reverted to my usual habit of spooning batter into the pan and making a few at once. My mum always did and I find I always do too.
Now that you have made your pancakes for breakfast, you might have cancelled your newspaper subscription like we have and no longer have it in the front yard when you get up on a weekend. If so and you would like some online reading, I have some fascinating links for you below.
(The drinks in the above photo are from one of the talented cocktail makers at my workplace.)
- How to stay focused when you get bored working towards your goals - The Mission
- Against Metrics: How measuring performance by numbers backfires - Aeon
- What most people get wrong about men and women - Harvard Business Review (This is one of the best articles I have read about men and women being treated differently in the workplace.)
- The dangerous playgrounds of the 1900s - Rare Historical Photos
- I really love all the questions in the Conversation's Curious Kids series. It includes fun questions such as Why do some people find some foods yummy but others find the same foods yucky?, Do sharks sneeze? and Why don't cats wear shoes?
- 15 awesome reading nooks for kids - Book Riot
These handy hints are ones I have tried and found brilliant:
- Using a squeegee to clean hair out of carpets or upholstery - Buzzfeed
- Easiest way to put on a doona or duvet cover (the burrito method) - Country Living
- 4 cheap and easy way to unclog your kitchen sink without any nasty chemicals (I did the bicarb soda and vinegar method) - Wonder How To
- Why do Americans refuse to give up tampons - The New Republic
- The Bike-Share Oversupply in China: Huge Piles of Abandoned and Broken Bicycles - The Atlantic
- Windows of opportunity to harness solar energy infrastructure - Roads Online (Imagine a film over your windows that will generate solar power!)
More fun pancake ideas from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Banana oat pancakes
Nutella stuffed pancakes (v)
Pumpkin buckwheat pancakes
Spiced carrot pancakes
Spinach pancakes (gf, v)
From Cafe Delites
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarb (baking) soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk (plus up to 1/4 cup extra if needed)
1/4 cup butter , melted
extra butter for frying
Mix all ingredients together. Heat frypan to medium high heat. Use a metal spoon to run about 1/2 - 1 tsp of butter over the warmed pan. Spoon 1 - 2 dessertspoonfuls of batter into the pan. I usually fry about 3-4 at a time. When mixture is starting to bubble flip them over and then leave another minute or so and turn out onto a plate. They are best warm but very edible a room temperature too.
NOTES: I used soy milk and vegan margarine instead of dairy milk and butter. If you have self raising flour, you could use 2 cups of self raising flour rather than 2 cups plain flour and 4 tsp baking powder.
On the Stereo:
Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters: In the Twilight Sad
Sunday, 17 June 2018
this discussion Pablo Instant Coffee was horrible. The jar is quite large and it seems odd for a couple who were never big coffee drinkers.)