Sunday 11 August 2024

My Monthly Chronicles, July 2024

July was filled with amazing meals, some fun outings and organising my life before my new job started this week. Last week I had a car service, a bike service and what Sylvia called a teeth service (but most of call a dentist).  I also managed to leave a scarf behind in the city, lose my wallet and lose another back bike light (I think one was stolen a few weeks ago).  It was a month of ice-cold bike rides, heavy rain, fun outings - including an amazing evening walk around Lightscapes in the Botanic Gardens - and the spectacular opening of the Paris Olympics.  So here is a round up of the busy month (or if you want to read about food etc closer to home, you can check out In My Kitchen July 2024.)

BrewDog Bar, Coburg

We had a hectic but delicious lunch at BrewDog Bar (Pentridge E Building, Champ St, Coburg) before the cinema.  We got there later than planned and ordered quickly.  Then there was a delay because were served kimchi fried chicken instead of kimchi fried cauliflower.  The staff then hurried to bring out the cauliflower, along with our Mary Jane pizza (aka margherita), beans & greens tacos and s'mores waffles, plus complimentary chips to apologies.  We left with a lot of takeaway food but made sure we ate the waffles because of the big scoop of ice cream which was covered with chocolate sauce, torched marshmallows and crushed cookies.  I loved our seat in one of the outdoor "cells" and that the tacos were easy to eat quickly.

At the Cinema: Despicable Me 4: After BrewDog we went to the cinema to see Despicable Me 4.  We have a fine appreciation of the Minion humour after Sylvia went through an intense Minion phase.  So we loved the movie and laughed a lot.  Great fun with silly lines like "Why can't you be more like your sister Edith?  She lies all the time." and "It's always something, I can never focus on just being evil".

CIBI, Collingwood

It is many years since a visit to CIBI (33-39 Keele Street, Collingwood).  In fact when we went there for lunch recently it looked really different.  When I asked I found it has moved next door to a bigger place.  Yet again, we were in a hurry and were served the carnivore version of the CIBI lunch plate instead of the vegan option ($27).  It felt like forever waiting for the right lunch but worth the wait.  Sylvia enjoyed her latte and I loved my hot yuzu drink while we waited.  My lunch was a delicious plate filled with a Pumpkin fritter, Sweet potato and brussel sprouts, Cauliflower and tofu, Beetroot and radicchio salad, Pear with pistachios, Pickles & CIBI rice blend.  Sylvia had the Kinoko udon noodle soup ($25).  Her bowl was filled with a praiseworthy roasted mushroom and leek, abura age (tofu), onsen egg, house made shichimi, chrysanthemum leaves, and a vegan broth.  

Allergy Doctors: When we arrived at the Allergy Doctors in Abbotsford, it was annoying that we had to wait 30 minutes for the appointment.  This is not so unusual for clinicians these days.  Anyway, it was good to check on Sylvia's peanut allergy, even if only to confirm that it was still present, and also get an indication that there might be a buckwheat allergy to explain Sylvia's recent reactions to it.

Jour, Collingwood

It was not long before we returned to Jour (29 Keele Street, Collingwood), which is almost next door to CIBI.  Jour is a beautiful cafe with a retro French influence and "contemporary take on vintage".  Sylvia had the Shakshuka with sourdough toast, E had a salmon, dill and feta quiche, my dad had the portobello mushroom and truffle tartine, and I had the sweet potato and dukkah soup.  My soup was a bit spicy for me so I asked for yoghurt.  The staff obligingly brought me a bowl and Sylvia shared it because her tomato sauce was quite intense.  We all loved our meals but in particular, the sourdough toast was absolutely amazing.  We finished with dessert.  My Chia and rhubarb  cake was nice but a bit dry, Sylvia raved about her Canele, and the warm bread pudding with chocolate sauce was so good. 

Shadow and Sunrise

Last year in November we took our cat Shadow for his annual vaccinations and found there were world wide shortages.  In July, he finally got his vax from the vet.  As he is about 11 years old and has previously had kidney disease, we agreed to collect a urine sample at home.  For those lucky enough to have never done it before, we had to get him to wee on non-absorbent litter so we could use a pipette to take a sample to the vet.  I was very relieved that the results of the kidney test were all clear.  The photo above is of the morning we took the sample.  It was very early and meant we saw the sunrise.  Sylvia got up as well and took this photo.


Farewell to a scooter: we sold the scooter that Sylvia used to ride to primary school.  It sold quite cheaply online but at least we knew it was going to someone who wanted it.  I was sad to see yet another sign of Sylvia's childhood leave but it is better that it is used than rust out the front where we kept it on the verandah (even if we had our awnings repaired so they don't leak on the verandah any more).

Tylers Milkbar, Preston

We had an amazing meal at Tylers MilkBar (656 Plenty Road, Preston).  Sylvia had a vegetarian Top of the Morning Burger: fried egg, baked potato hash, grilled halloumi, our jalapeños, spring onion, rocket & smoky mayo.  I had Kasundi pumpkin soup with a cheese and coconut bacon toastie,  She had an iced latte and I had a Ooray Plum & Wild Hibiscus Gurbuchi by LORE 8.  My drink was delicious.  It was my first time trying this drink that was a kombucha made out from a tea of Indigenous leaves.  I was impressed by the service, the concern for dietary requirements and the cute grocery section of the milkbar.

Project 281, Brunswick

I had a lovely meal at Project 281 Coffee Roasters (281 Albert St, Brunswick).  I had the poke bowl with salt and pepper tofu on guacamole, pickles, tomatoes, seaweed salad, edamame and rice.  Great tofu but I wanted more of it and less of the avocado.  Sylvia wanted to pick up her big breakfast burrito and was not pleased by the drizzled sauce but she loved the fillings which included egg, hash brown and haloumi.  Sylvia found her iced peach tea refreshing.  I was entertained by my intense "gangster hot chocolate" which involved pouring the hot chocolate over a grid of chocolate. 

Bake Alley Bakes, Coburg North

We made our way through the back streets of Coburg North to Back Alley Bakes (10 Leslie Avenue).  It is a tiny hole in the wall bakery that sells amazing sandwiches, pastries and sweet foods.  We shared an impressive sandwich with grilled broccoli,  pickled cabbage, spring onion paste and kimchi mayo.  It is not often than a vegan sandwich is so good nobody could resent them not adding meat.  And they said they have vegan sandwiches every day.  We also loved the cauliflower and miso bechemal danish.  

Our sweet food was less complex but equally wonderful.  Sylvia had what she said was a best ever cinnamon bun with a lovely cream cheese frosting that wasn't ridiculously sweet.  I had a tahini cookie that was so so good: easy on the sugar and generous with the tahini.  We ate at a small and simple covered outdoor area.  I hope we will return.  The fillings and flavours change regularly and there seem to be no end of fascinating combinations on their social media.

 Stalactites, Melbourne CBD

Stalactites (177/183 Lonsdale St, Melbourne) is an iconic Greek restaurant that has been part of the Greek section of Lonsdale Street as long as I can remember.  Opened in 1978 by Konstantinos Tsoutouras, its stalactite ceiling and the name alludes to the caves near to his home city of Sparta in Greece.  We shared a delicious Vegetarian Platter for one which included tzatziki, hommus and eggplant, dips, dolmadakia, spanakopita, feta cheese, olives, veggie and feta fritters and pita bread.  Highlights were the olives, the spanikopita, the fritter and the hot fried pita.  We also had lovely baked zucchinis stuffed with rice, served with potatoes cooked in the tomato sauce.  And for dessert we had the Galaktoboureko which was far more custard than filo pastry and not really my sort of thing.


At the Theatre: Trophy Boys.  

After our Stalactites dinner, we headed down to the Arts Centre's Fairfax Studio to see Trophy Boys.  This is an amazing play written by and starring Emmanuelle Mattana.  Four schoolboys are preparing for their debate, arguing in the affirmative that Feminism has failed women.  It was thought-provoking and hilarious as the boys (played by women) discuss how to make the argument without being called sexist.  It is very clever with disturbing insights into male culture.  Equally fascinating was staying for a Q&A with the actors and director at the end.

Project 281, Brunswick (revisited)

I returned to Project 281, this time with friend and former blogger Faye.  She had a vegan version of the big breakfast burrito and I had the Vegan okonomiyaki.  Mine was presented beautifully with tofu, wasabi mayo, nori, pickled ginger, pickled cabbage and wakame.  It tasted every bit as good as it looked.


On the television:
we have been watching Charmed from the late 1990s and early 2000s.  It is entertaining but a bit of a blast from the past to see some well known faces of the time.  It has been sad to watch Shannen Doherty, who recently died, but also great to see her in one of her iconic roles.  We also had a blast from the past watching Doogie Howser M D.  It was fascinating to see Neil Patrick grow from a baby faced teenager into the adult that we know today.

 Gloria, Brunswick

After Project 281, Faye and I walked around to Gloria (391 Sydney Road, Brunswick) for desserts.  It is such a welcoming cosy space with painted walls, couches and plants.  Fay had a coffee and basque cheesecake.  I had a hot chocolate and a pandan tart.  The cafe is vegan so the cheesecake was made with tofu and had a nice lemon flavour.  The gloriously green pandan tart was good with lots of coconut flakes in it, but it was quite filling and I took some of it home.  Sylvia was very pleased to try it.

Tokyo Lamington, Carlton

I stopped by Tokyo Lamington (258 Elgin Street, Carlton) late in the day after a weekend ride but did not fancy the flavours that were left.  It is a small but stylish lamington shop that also does some savoury food.  I returned on National Lamington Day with Sylvia.  We began with an impressive onigiri, ume soda for me and latte for Sylvia.  

The main event was the lamingtons.  Mine was an amazing Mulled Wine flavoured mulberry-coloured sponge cake, a filling of chocolate frosting with mulled wine jellies and the traditional chocolate and coconut coating.  Sylvia had the Fairy Bread lamington which had a vanilla frosting filling and a coating of white chocolate and 100s and 1000s sprinkles.  She liked it but did not love it.  To celebrate National Lamington Day we were also given a lovely original lamington and a lamington-flavoured latte.  Sylvia was so impressed that the latte tasted of lamington and not just a mocha latte with coconut flavours.  At about $8 a lamington, they are not cheap but there are many interesting flavours such as ume, pandan and Galaktoboureko.  They offer different specials regularly so it is fun to revisit.

Helping Hands Mission Op Shop, Sunshine

Some months bake we loved visiting the Helping Hands Op Shop at 85-89 Hampshire Rd, Sunshine, so we were happy to be out that way when we visited My Dream Cake in Albion.  It is a fantastic op shop, even better than the Preston store. While it is not filled with such quirky decorative touches, it has more great options and cheap prices.  The staff are also lovely.  (See what we bought in In My Kitchen.)


Paris Olympic Games: The opening of the Paris Olympic Games featured one of my favourite cities in the world.  It was live at 3am in Melbourne, which was far too late for me but I did find a video overview of the olympics opening on YouTube.  Spectacular and fun as the parade made its way down the Seine River.  I loved that iconic buildings such as The Louvre, The Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower had starring roles!

Mitko Deli and Cafe, Albion

While in Albion we also visited Mitko Deli and Cafe (39 Perth Avenue).  It is a small Polish deli and cafe on a small suburban shopping strip with a few tables and chairs out the front.  We were so impressed by our light lunch.  We shared a cheese and leek bourek which was a generous serve and absolutely delicious.  Sylvia's drink impressed us with the fancy latte art and she was impressed with the coffee. I had a poppy seed cheesecake, in memory of Polish friends I lived with many years ago who used to rave about poppyseed scrolls.  It was magnificent.  Dense, delicious and not too sweet.  We also loved the pierogi that we took home from the deli.

Udon Izakaya Maedaya, Melbourne CBD

Sylvia has been raving to me about the wonderful udon at Udon Izakaya Maedaya (168-174 Bourke St, CBD) for some time now.  So we were both excited to go there before Lightscapes in the Botanic Gardens.  She had discovered online that we could ask for a vegan broth for the noodle soup, though I could not see it on the menu.  The staff were also very helpful in letting us know what was vegetarian.

We shared the udon soup, lotus chips and edamame.  I ate the tempura vegetables that come with the soup.  They were lovely but Sylvia is not a fan of tempura.  It offers a wide range of alcoholic drinks but also has some really interesting non-alcoholic drinks.  I had the yuzu matcha lemonade and Sylvia had frozen strawberries in fruit syrup and lemonade.  We were so happy with our meals and our drinks (though Sylvia found her drink very sweet).  It was a light meal so we could have room for the snacks at Lightscapes.

Jackson Dodds, Preston

The design at Jackson Dodds (611 Gilbert Rd, Preston) first caught my eye.  They have lovely images on the exterior walls and inside the ceiling is draped with vines and little hot air balloons.  I am happy to report that the food was also very good.  I had the Frankenstein fritters: pea corn and haloumi and fennel and apple salad and romanescu sauce and seed.  I was a bit too gung-ho with the lemon juice and wished I had given the sweetness of the apple more chance to shine through but, having said that, the fritters and salad were wonderful together.  Sylvia was very impressed with Red Velvet Hotcakes with marscapone, seasonal fruit, raspberry caviar, berry sauce and maple syrup.  All too often cafes are miserly with serving fruit but the beautiful red hotcakes came with a really generous serve of banana, apple, orange and berries.


Bundoora Homestead Cafe, Bundoora

We visited Bundoora Homestead Cafe (7 Prospect Hill Dr, Bundoora) with my parents while at Bundoora Homestead for Open House Melbourne.  We did an interesting tour of the grand Nineteenth Century building.  It was lucky we got outside to admire the homestead from the grounds before the rain poured down.  It was lovely to sit in the former billiards room sharing a cheese and chive scone and a plain scone with jam and cream.  I was glad to have a herbal berry pot of tea but it was so sweet that it was almost like cordial in hot water.  Then we wandered about some more and read the storyboards about the history of the building and local Indigenous people in the Truth Telling rooms.

Oasis Cafe, Fairfield

We didn't eat much at Bundoora Homestead because we had planned to go to lunch at Oasis Cafe (92-96 Station Street, Fairfield).  Oasis is a large Middle Eastern grocery store and cafe.  The pizzas, salads and cakes look amazing on display along the counters.  I had the falafel plate with hummus and pita bread.  I was very happy with my choice of a tabouli salad and a lentil bean salad as an option on the plate.  My parents shared a chicken and spinach pizza and a spinach and cheese spring rolls.  Sylvia's Breakfast Mezze was the most impressive.  She had beautifully presented Lebanese baked eggs, shashuka, grilled haloumi, labneh, pickled vegetables, foul medammas, fresh cut vegetables and pita bread.  On the side were hash browns.  She loved it.

I asked for kombucha and was told I could go into the grocery and purchase some from the fridge.  The range of different brands was impressive.  I was very pleased with my choice of blackcurrant and elderberry Buchi kombucha.  My dad had a tropical juice with lucuma and the others had coffees.  For dessert we shared a slice of knafeh (beautiful but too creamy and sweet for me) and baklava.  What a great feast!

Open House Talk by John Gollings
City Wine Shop, Melbourne CBD

Towards the end of July I went to the Open House Heritage Talk by John Gollings at the Capitol Cinema with Heather.  We heard stories about some of his stunning architectural photos over his decades as a photographer.  Afterwards we went to Udon Izakaya Maedaya (see my first visit above).for lovely tempura and okonokiyaki.  Finally we decided to grab a cuppa elsewhere.  Heather was keen for a coffee but we had to walk up to Spring Street to find that the City Wine Shop at number 159 hadn't closed their coffee machine for the night at 10pm.  I ordered a hot chocolate and asked them to make it really chocolatey.  Above is the chocolate which was really intense.  Perhaps too intense but amazing on a chilly evening.  I was impressed that they took my request seriously.


Melbourne Pride Tram 

After I left the City Wine Shop, I found I had left my scarf there.  So Sylvia and I headed back to the city the next day to collect it.  As we were back in the city, we again had dinner at Udon Izakaya Maedaya.  That was my third time in a week and great experience each time so I hope to write it up, especially as we loved the tofu salad on that visit.  We were happy to see the fun LGBTQIA+ pride artwork on the tram that you see above.

Melbourne City Circle Tram

Sylvia is fascinated by the City Circle Tram which is an old W Class tram that travels the bounds of the CBD as a tourist attraction and free trip around the city.  I was going to share a picture of the tram on Spring Street but love all the detail on the pride tram that I wanted to share a picture of the City Circle Tram on the pride tram.  I hope one day Sylvia will reach her elusive ambition of travelling on the City Circle Tram.

Code Black, Brunswick

On another chilly day, I met with Jo for a hot chocolate at Code Black (15/17 Weston Street, Brunswick) after I dropped my bike off for a service.  It was so cold I had another hot chocolate.  This time I did not ask for a really rich hot chocolate but I was very pleased with the one I was served.  It came in a heated black jug and intense in a really good way.  It was neither too milky nor too sweet.  This was just what I needed.   


New Victorian Container Recycling Scheme

The idea of encouraging recycling with payment has been around for a long time.  When I was a kid, we had a cash-a-can scheme.  We collected big bags of aluminum cans and got paid by the weight.  Some cheeky kids filled their cans with stones to get more money.  This year we have a new statewide recycling scheme where we have to feed our empty drink containers into a machine which reads the barcode and gives 10c per can or bottle or juice box.  It is a bit clunky that we then need to take the docket to a supermarket for a cash refund.  I like that there is also an option to donate the money.

Gotham Doughnuts, Coburg

When we last went to a drink container recycling refund centre, we noticed it was opposite the new Gotham Doughnuts store at 40 Sydney Road Coburg.  We have passed it a few times and were excited to see it was finally open.  They have fun decorations in the store and lots of choice.  As well as doughtnuts there was a vegan breakfast option and I was told there would be more soon.  See our purchases of Frog in the Pond and Biscoff doughtnuts in In My Kitchen.

All good except I got home and could not find my wallet.  I wanted to check if I had left it at Gotham Doughnuts.  The store had only been open a week so I could not find the phone number online or by phoning another store.  I had to go out and finally went without my wallet (thank goodness for phone banking).  It was a relief on the way to the shop that Sylvia rang to say someone had seen my wallet in the road and brought it to our front door.  Thank you, kind stranger!


Christmas is coming: Gotham Doughnuts is already advertising Christmas doughnuts on its website.  I was surprised to see the first sign I had noticed this year about booking Christmas parties.  Already!  The year is passing too quickly and we will be at the end of the year before we know it!


In the News: 

  • Iran got a new reformist president.  
  • In France there was relief that the prospect of a far right president was defeated by a coalition of centre and left parties, though it sounds a challenge to not have an outright majority for any party.  
  • The UK election was momentous for seeing the Tories end their 14 years of power when they were soundly defeated by Labour's Keir Starmer in a landslide victory. 
  • Soon after Keir Starmer was voted in as UK Prime Minister, the nation was shocked by anti-immigration riots, set off by misinformation about who had murdered three children at a Taylor Swift craft session.
  • Donald Trump also named J D Vance as his running mate for the presidential elections.  See Marsh family satirical take on JD Vance sung to the music to Dancing Queen.
  • One of the big stories in politics in Australia was Senator Fatima Payman crossing the floor on a vote about recognition of Palestine as an independent state. 
  • In the USA presidential campaigns took an interesting turn when current President, Joe Biden stepped aside as Democrats presidential candidate and his current Vice President, Kamala Harris took up that role as candidate.  It was good to have some hope in an intense month of politics.

3 comments:

  1. Fab post, thanks! this was yet another interesting and fun read. So much variety, culture, beauty in Melbourne. You live in a special place, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and delicious month - you have been busy but in the best way! Those lamingtons look so good and now I want to try a lamington latte! Loved the global news round up at the end of the post too - July was a big month for one and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at the sheer variety and high standard of vegetarian food you get locally. I have nothing like remotely like this here. What a treat to read through your post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)