Friday 30 August 2024

Street art in Melbourne: Fitzroy

I recently took some photos of street art around Fitzroy.  At home I found other Fitzroy street art photos that had been in draft dating back to 2014.  So today I am sharing some old and new street art that shows the rich culture of the streets of Fitzroy.  

Above are ABC kids tv superstars B1 and B2 (aka Bananas in Pyjamas) turned gangsters.  Artwork in Rose Street.

Above and below, from the Fitzroy Faces community art project in which a group of street artists got a piece of wall to paint.  The above little girl is by Sofles.

This moody Fitzroy Face is by Rone.

A stencil art of a man carrying a giant carrot by the steps of Temple and Webster's wonderful shop on Brunswick Street.

I can't remember where this was - somewhere around the veterinary clinic I think.  Love the old school boom box.

This artwork is in Gore Street near Greeves Street where a friendly neighbour collects food scraps for composting.  That's why the little kid on the little girl's shoulders is dropping a banana skin in the box.

On the wall of the Johnston Street Veterinary Clinic in Elliot Street.

This is west of Johnston Street around Napier Street?

Corner of Greeves and George Streets.

I love the painting on this cafe in Rose Street.  I just wish I had taken photos of it years ago when it was fresh.

I happened across this artwork on the corner of York and Brunswick Streets.  I love how alive the paintings of windows make this building.  It is fascinating it is by a big insurance company AAMI.  A week or two after I took this photo, I passed by again and the building was painted black on the side instead of this colourful streetscape.

This dragon painted on the wall seems like a protective motif. 

Here is a wonderfully colourful painting on a residential wall that seems quite early Twentieth Century. West of Johnston Street,

A cute little tram.

The tram is part of the artwork on this IGA supermarket on Brunswick Street.  The fruit and vegetable characters are pretty cute.

Beautiful wattle pbranchesainted on a wall in North Fitzroy off Rae Street.

An angel hugs a child.

Fitzroy Street north of Westgarth.  This picture is the kooky Fitzroy I love and miss.

More Fitzroy Street art - colourful birds!

More Fitzroy Street.  An ode to the Ukraine people?

More Fitzroy Street.  I laugh when I see this quote: "I can do what I want (only on Tuesdays)". 

A pink bird in a grey tree on Fitzroy Street near the corner of Leicester Street.

John Lennon painted on the wall on an alleyway at the back of Rose Street Market.


A fantasy world with a pink spotty owl flying over a spotty kangaroo.  On the wall of a child care centre on Napier Street next to the old Fitzroy Town Hall.

A Fitzroy mural on the wall of the Night Cat nightclub.


Another Rone artwork in collaboration with Wanderlust: Never Say Never Again.  It makes me think of Covid but I think it might be from pre-Covid.  Just recently I was there again and saw it covered with graffiti - not sure if it cleaned regularly or just in decay.

This is the picture I found from 2014.  I am not sure why I did not post this earlier.  Possibly the angle.  It is hard to get all of the pink mural into one photo.

Just recently I took this photo of the same mural 10 years later.  You can see how much the pink has faded but isn't this pussy cat cute and intriguing!

"Everything's Gunna Be Alright"!  I also wonder if this from Covid lockdowns but perhaps it is a message we always need.

More street art from Fitzroy:

Street Art in Melbourne #3 Fitzroy
Street Art in Melbourne #4 She dreamt of running away
Street Art in Brunswick, Clifton Hill, Collingwood, Fitzroy
Street Art in Melbourne: Chapel Street, Fitzroy and surrounds

3 comments:

  1. The interesting, thought-provoking and often beautiful street art of Melbourne...a true gift you have shared with us--thank you! Have lived in many places (including Melbourne, years ago) and have never seen such a rich variety of meaningful, memorable street art. Very special, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they are all amazing but the Fitzroy Face by Rone is my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a real soft spot for street art - it either provokes, or amuses, or beautifies, but I feel like it's always interesting. As a confirmed cat person, the kitty with the eye patch wins it for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)