Sunday 26 June 2022

Wild Timor Cafe, Coburg

Lately I have enjoyed visiting Wild Timor Cafe in Coburg a few times.  It is slightly South of the main shopping strip, which I imagine is very convenient for the people living down that way.  It is also just near a second hand book shop and the St Vincent de Paul opportunity shop.  It is a cafe run by the Wild Timor Coffee Company that was set up in East Timor to help sustain local villagers.  So you can have your ethical coffee and then head off for a spot of sustainable shopping too.


I checked back through my photo archive and found that I had been here for a beetroot chckpea burger with kale and tahini in 2015.  It seemed so long ago but I remember enjoying the meal which I had with my mum.  The  menu has changed since then but they still do burgers, albeit haloumi burgers right now.

 

I was surprised at how little the interiors seem to have changed according to my photos 7 years ago (from which I have spared you).  They still had the blue tiles by the counter and distressed brick walls but they are looking fresh so I guess thay have had a refresh since I visited.  I think the blackboard is new.

I recently met a friend there and could not resist trying the drink special: bubblegum kombucha.  It was a weird combination of a modern health drink and childhood junk food.  The bubble gum flavour was there in the chemical artificial way it is in a stick of gum.  Once was enough but it was fun to try.


My friend Kerin was slightly late and sent a text asking me to order her a dirty chai latte.  It was the first time I had heard the term and had to check if it was a typo.  So I learnt it means chai latte with the coffee!  And I had the fruit toast with butter.  It was delicious.  A little like brioche.  Soft and rich with a hint of lemon.


I met Faye there for lunch a few weeks later.  She chose the vegan version of the Breakfast burrito: spinach tortilla stuffed with mushrooms, beans, advar relish, avocado, jalapeno and tomato salsa, and red cabbage slaw.  It looked impressive and she was happy with it.

I was tempted by the Hola hibernation bowl, a tex mex combo of beans, corn, rice, avo, rice and more.  But instead I chose the Wild poke bowl of brown rice, edamame, cucumber, cabbage, carrot ribbons, broccoli, avocado, lemon, pickled radish and ginger, marinated tofu, with a creamy vegan dressing.  It needed the extra dressing and lemon but was lovely and healthy.


And then I met Kerin there again and had the watermelon and rhubarb juice which was superb.  Refreshing and great flavour.  I also ordered the special: Polenta bites with rocket and chilli tomato sauce.  I would have liked them crispier but otherwise they were pretty good.

Update May 2023: I had these amazing French Toast with berry compote, seasonal fresh fruit, orange cream and caramelised bananas on the side.  It was the perfect way to warm myself up on a cold morning and so satisfying.  I am not usually a baked bananas person but these were wonderful with the rest of the dish.  I think it was on the specials.

Good food.  Friendly staff.  The space is not huge and can fill quickly on weekends but is worth a visit.

Wild Timor Cafe
282 Sydney Rd, Coburg  VIC  3058
Hours: 8am - 3pm
wildtimorcoffeecoburg.com

6 comments:

  1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella27 June 2022 at 14:40

    That sounds pretty much like the perfect cafe scenario! I really like the look of that burrito! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they serve the ethical coffee from East Timor, and what an array of delicious food. Such an interesting Cafe.the Wild Poke bowl looks so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirty chai- hmm. Not sure about the combo of tea and coffee at all! The cafe food has loads of menu inspiration. The breakfast burrito- wow. And the polenta bites look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dirty chai latte? nope never heard of that one:) The burrito looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have travelled past this cafe so many times and never tried it! Thanks for showing so many of their dishes, I should obviously give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of a dirty chai latte either. It's not the most appealing of names. The cafe looks fab though. I really miss good eateries in the New Forest. Cornwall had a lot more to offer in that department.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)