Advice for new bloggers
- Food Blog Alliance - if you have a question, this is an excellent place to look for an answer
- Green Gourmet Giraffe (me) - My Top Ten Tips for Food Bloggers
- Dine and Dish - Tips for the Aspiring Blogger
- Choosing Raw - My Ten Top Tips for New Bloggers
- Sarah's Cucina Bella - Advice for New Bloggers (round up of her advice posts)
- How to start a blog - a blog about starting a blog!
- The write stuff (advice from a journalist and a blogger) - The Kitchen Maid
- Will write for food - Dianne Jacob
- How to blog by Tony Pierce - busblog (a good read with some good inspiration even if some needs to be taken with a pinch of salt)
- How to get traffic for your blog - Seth Godin
- Australian Copyright Council info sheet on recipes: legal protection (February 2012)
- My latest discussion on copyright (with useful comments)
- Law Geek Down Under - Law for Food Bloggers
- Seth Godin - Simple Thoughts about Fair Use
- Justcook NYC - Recipe writing cheat sheet
- Urban Vegan - Overused food writing terms
- Will Write for Food - 7 Most common recipe writing errors
- 5 keys to writing excellent blog posts - Problogger
- Before you hit publish - V3 integrated marketing
- My guide to writing totally awesome blog posts every single time - MackCollier.com
- Paying attention to your archival posts - Problogger
Useful links with comment discussion about the difference between Australian and American ingredients:
- James and Matt on Chilli powder in American recipes
- In the Mood for Noodles on Australian cooking conversions
- More useful cooking conversion info on my blog at Kitchen Notes and Baking Basics
- Food Blog Search - a search engine that just searches blogs
- Veg Blog Search – a search engine that only searches vegetarian blogs
- Foodie Blog Roll – listing of over 1000 other food blogs
Blog event listings
- Pinterest - a visual pinboard of images from pages you like (eg food photos) that you can organise into pin boards. (See my post on pinterest, delicious and eat your books)
- Delicious - a great site where you can tag and organise your bookmarks
- Since Google Reader closed in July 2013, I have stopped using a blog reader and reverted to my sidebar blogroll. See my post: Google Reader is closing... and I am not sure I am upset for more information and readers suggestions of blog readers.
- Cookbook Recipe Database - a free site that has indexed cookbooks
- Eat Your Books - this site is gradually indexing cookbooks (and some blogs) so if you sign up (for a nominal fee) you can choose the books you own and search your cookbooks by ingredient and other categories. (See my post on pinterest, delicious and eat your books)
- Good Reads - has a cookbook genre with reviews and recommendations.
There are heaps of posts giving advice on photography. Here are a few that I have found useful:
- 6 Bittersweets - My Take on Food Styling and Photography (a lot of reading including good basic info about exposure, styling and lots of links)
- Food Gawker - Photography Tips
- Simply Cooked - Light box for staging food photography - step by step
- The Well Seasoned Cook - Tabletop Photography Tips for Green Beginners
- Mowie and Meeta - 41 food photography tips (quick notes from Blogger Connect event)
- Vegan Yum Yum - Food Photography for Bloggers
- Kalyn Denny at BlogHer - Helpful food photography tips from fellow bloggers
- Serious eats - Guide to Food Photography (helpful explanation of white balance)
- I Eat Therefore I Am - Food Photography Tutorial with Ewen Bell - Simple Tips to Dramatically Improve Your Photos
- Google Analytics - free statistics software (if you are happy to share your data with Google). It allows you to collect statistics over time.
- StatCounter – statistics software - free if you just want to see stats for the last few days but costs to see stats in more detail.
- Technorati – I used to find out who was linking to my blog through Technorati but it changed and I found it harder to find info. I have also used Google Alerts s but it hasn't seemed so useful for this.
- Site Meter - an audience tracking tool - I have only seen it recommended but have not looked at it myself.
- Blogger and Wordpress also have blog statistics information as part of a blog account.
Technical stuff like html and Blogger
- Advice on adding Anchors (which are links within a post) - on my blog
- Blogger Tips and Tricks for those using Blogger
- Shabby blogs backgrounds - free backgrounds- I used this until recently but have been warned off them due to malware. Am on the lookout for other backgrounds I really like.
- Where's the beef - advice on Blogger back up
- Tinned Tomatoes - how to add code to a post as text
- Online photo editing packages are quite useful such as picmonkey
- Rachel Cotterill - How to create a favicon
- Bite Sized Thoughts - How to create a drop down menu in Blogger
- My reflections on installing drop down menus
- html tutorial - w3schools.com
- Photosnack - I haven't used it but have seen Jac at Tinned Tomatoes using it
- How to easily create tables in Blogger using MS Word - MyBloggerLab
- What to do when your content is lifted - Food Blog Alliance
- Sample Copyright Complaint Steps (how to file a DMCA notice) - Host Gator
- Whois.net - a place to find who is stealing your content
NOTE: While collecting links for this post, I found a useful list of resources at the Hungry Australian.
Update - I am adding a few new links here as I see them but I just saw the 150 links on How to be a Food Blogger by Recipe Girl - a great resource.