Tuesday 23 September 2014

Simple salad with sprouts

On a bad day, lunch is a peanut butter sandwich.  Sometimes I am quite proud of my lunch.  This salad started with a craving for bean sprouts.  It was just what I wanted.  Leafy, colourful, crunchy, juicy, sharp and sweet.  It is a bit like the crunchy salads that I posted about years ago.  I still make those sort of salads occasionally and this is one of them.

I am sending this salad to Deb for Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen.

More simple vegan salads from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Carrot with lime and mint 
Carrot, walnut and cranberry salad 
Cranberry and mustard coleslaw
Japanese snow pea salad
Smoky potato, bean and corn salad
Warm pea and lentil salad

Simple Salad with Sprouts
Serves 1 for a light lunch

handful rocket (arugula)
handful sprouted legumes (mine was a mix of legumes)
1/8 each red and yellow capsicum, sliced
1 mushroom, sliced
3 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 small spring onion, sliced
 
Dressing:
3 tsp cider vinegar
1 good tsp coconut nectar
1 tsp olive oil
1 scant tsp seeded mustard
generous pinch salt

Lightly whisk together dressing and toss through with salad ingredients.

On the Stereo:
Don't Try This at Home: Billy Bragg

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food September 2014.  This year for Vegan MoFo my theme is The Letter S.  Today is S for Same Same Tuesdays.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2014 Vegan MoFo posts. 

5 comments:

  1. I always buy salad goods with every intention of making a salad but I never seem to do it. Maybe I need to have dressings handy. Had to laugh at your other post about using up the verjuice, that is something I ALWAYS buy but never use (hello expensive Maggie Beer brand that was in the pantry longggg after the useby). Thank goodness there's the cheaper brand in Aldi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful salad - base and dressing both. I can just picture the crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love sprouts and have been meaning to get back into sprouting things...it's one of those things that I put off for no real reason (especially since you are rewarded with edibles when you do it!). Your lunch looks lovely and colourful. I have been taking more salads to work again in the last week since the weather has been warmer - before that I was always taking leftovers from the previous night's dinner - salad just never seemed so appealing on those cooler days. Love the choice of music by the way! Maybe he could be included in my posts - Billy Bragg - Braggs liquid aminos? No? Bit of a stretch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how crisp and colorful your salad is. It looks both satisfying and delicious. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple salads are always the best salads ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)