Sunday 21 September 2014

Sludge soup, Smoky buffalo hummus and Smooth cashew chocolate butter

Welcome to the Sunday edition of Vegan MoFo brought to you by the Letter S with some speedy recipes with dubious claims to be included the my stable of recipes starting with S.  Sadly I don't have time to tell you about my new blender - that will have to wait for another day.  I can say I am very happy it is making dips, nut butter and smoothies.  However I still love my hand held blender for soups.

Firstly let me thank Janet for inspiring me to make a buffalo hummus recipe that has been in my bookmarks for ages.  My blender made far smoother dip than my cranky old food processor does.  E and I found the dip very pleasing.  A little bit smoky, a little bit spicy, a really good hummus.  Sylvia still prefers the hummus I buy from the shops.

I couldn't wait to try a nut butter in the blender.  It took minutes.  Hurrah.  I even dug out a recipe for chocolate cashew butter with a touch of coconut.  I am just trying to use up my coconut butter.  No doubt coconut oil would also work.  I liked it but with the melted chocolate it firm up too much when cool and I didn't have as much control over the sweetness as I would like.  I have my eye on a chocolate coconut butter with cocoa and maple syrup.  Something like this.

However I am sure that we would all love me to repeat this chocolate coconut cashew butter.  It was so soft and spreadable when just made.  Great on toast.  Once colder I loved it spread on apple slices.  And strangely enough, it disappeared within the day.  I blame E and Sylvia.  I think some of it was eaten straight from the tub.

Lastly I am sharing a sludge soup.  It was made primarily from purple carrots, cauliflower and chickpeas.  It looked like the sort of thing that Daleks would eat.  On the first night I would have been more than happy to give them the whole saucepanful.  It was ok but not great.

The second night it was graced by that mysterious alchemy that happens when soups and stews sit overnight.  I loved it.  The balance of flavours was just right.  I could have eaten the whole saucepanful myself.  I didn't.  It lasted a few nights.  I am sending this soup to Shaheen of Allotment to Kitchen for her Vegetable Palette event which this month focuses on purples and blues vegies and fruit.

More recipes for blenders from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Cauliflower alfredo pasta sauce
Hurry up pumpkin alfredo
Pepper-crusted cashew goat cheese
Pumpkin and chocolate bread pudding 

Buffalo Hummus
Adapted from Oh She Glows and Taste Space

400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt flakes
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
2 tsp tahini
1 tbsp hot sauce (I used Frank’s Hot Sauce)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 red capsicum, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil (or water)
Cayenne pepper, to taste, for serving (I didn't use any)

Blend all ingredients together until smooth.  I did this for a few minutes at a low speed (between 2 and 3) with some scraping down in between.

Chocolate coconut cashew butter
Adapted from Cooking with Cakes

115g raw cashews
1/4 cup dark choc chips
 2 tbsp coconut butter
1 pinch salt

Blend cashews until finely ground.  Add coconut butter and blend until smooth butter.  Melt choc chips and mix in with a pinch of salt.  It will be very soft when first made and firm up as the choc chips cool.

Sludge Soup (aka Purple Carrot, Cauliflower and Chickpea soup)
An original recipe from Green Gourmet Giraffe
Serves 4-6
 
slurp of olive oil
1 onion
1 small beetroot chopped finely
2 large purple carrots
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups stock
4-6 cups water
1 cauliflower
1 tin chickpeas
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp onion salt 
1 tsp salt, or to taste
black pepper

Fry onion in oil for about 5 minutes.  Add beetroot and purple carrots and fry another 5 to 10 minutes or until softening.  Stir through garlic.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes until vegetables soft.  Puree. (I used my hand held blender.)

On the Stereo:
Down in the valley: Handsome Family

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food September 2014.  This year for Vegan MoFo my theme is The Letter S.  Today is S for Some recipes I couldn't fit in during the week.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2014 Vegan MoFo posts. 

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy that blender! So great when you can make your own butters and spreads :D Love those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of the chocolate cashew butter, looks delicious. The soup sounds tasty and not a combo i've seen used before. I love ti when flavours develop overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chocolate cashew butter looks soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, congratulations on the blender. That is exciting! Your chocolate spread sounds great, and I like the sound of the hummus and soup too.

    I also thought you'd appreciate my discovery of smoky paprika rice cakes in the supermarket yesterday. They are by far the best flavoured rice crackers I've seen here to date!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any hummus is great by me...... The chocolate cashew butter sounds delightful........ And the idea of Dalek food made me laugh! I love the way things develop overnight into something good! Tasty mix of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recognize that blender! It's a Froothie (I think anyway...)! I have one too and absolutely love it. Makes everything so smooth- nut butter, soup, sauce, smoothies!
    Your choc coconut cashew butter sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee for your new blender! I find I like hummus better with the food processor but that's mainly because I can't all the hummus out from the bottom of my blender. HA! I am glad 2/3 of you enjoyed the hummus. Nice! Also, sometimes I find my curries also taste better as leftovers. It makes it difficult when I decide to not photograph because I don't like it and then I like it later. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! this all looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All great sounding recipes, but the Chocolate coconut cashew butter sounds divine. Yum. Looks like you got a Vitamix =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not totally sold by the purple carrot soup. I made one a while back myself and disliked it http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/roasted-caroot-soup-and-carrot-scones.html but I trust you too, so may have to try your version one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowzers Johanna, the colour of that soup is something else. You do it a great injustice calling it sludge soup as the colour is quite spectacular - very weird though! As for the chocolate cashew butter - I'm in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow awesome blender - all your recipes look so smooth :-) Gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)