Monday 8 September 2014

Super smoothie with berries, pear and banana

Today I bring you our current favourite breakfast smoothie.  It is especially good for late winter when it is harder to find fresh fruit I want to eat: yes I eat a lot of fruit but I get fussy at this time of year.  We usually have porridge for breakfast but occasionally I buy bananas and they are not too manky.  Overripe bananas don't do it for me in smoothies.  They go into pancakes and cakes.

Sylvia loves it when I make smoothies.  I like them thick but have worked out that if they are too thick she struggles to drink them because she insists on using a straw.  Pears really help to thin down a smoothie.  Sometimes I just only use half a banana.  Ice blocks also help.  For this smoothie I just wanted to use up the last of a small bunch of bananas we had. 

It is a great way to start the day!  Healthy, easy and satisfying.

More Smoothies on Green Gourmet Giraffe:

Breakfast Smoothie
serves 2-3

1 banana, peeled and broken up
1 ripe pear, cored and chopped
1 handful frozen raspberries
1 small handful rolled oats
2-3 tsp chia seeds
1 1/2 cups soy milk

Blend all together until smooth.  I use a hand held blender

On the Stereo:
Secrets profane and sugarcane: Elvis Costello


This post is part of Vegan Month of Food September 2014.  This year for Vegan MoFo my theme is The Letter S.  Today is S for Speedy Smoothies.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2014 Vegan MoFo posts. 

9 comments:

  1. I don,t really drink or make smoothies, I have always found them a little too heavy on the belly, but give me porridge. I am looking forward to tucking into a bowl full when the cold starts creeping in, something about it reminds me of my childhood days. Glad that Sylvia likes her smoothies though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum this looks great! I love smoothies for a quick and nutritious meal or snack. Although sometimes I try to add too many things like tahini etc and they are rejected...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ kate I haven't managed to get greens into a smoothie that sylvia will drink - one day .....

      Delete
  3. Yum, that looks like a tasty and stunning breakfast smoothie and thank you for the tip, I didn’t know that pears help to thin a smoothie since I prefer thin smoothies. Yesterday I made myself a quick smoothie: frozen handpicked blueberries, pineapple, mango, coconut water powder (seriously it is handy, but not tasty on its own). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @rika - the pears I refer to are the really ripe juicy ones - I have found myself buying them and letting them get really soft for smoothies - normally I like to eat pears a bit crunchy

      Delete
  4. I do love oats in smoothies, but have forgotten to use them recently. Thanks for the reminder! This sounds like a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is so similar to my favourite smoothie - I love the combination of pears & raspberries. So refreshing =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like over-ripe bananas in smoothies either, but I always freeze them now so that they don't have that strong taste. I don't like them when they aren't realllllllllllly cold too. Love the pear - great time of year for really tasty pears.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)