I wish it was easy to celebrate their first birthday. I wish they were here to enjoy it. Nevertheless they are with me in my thoughts. They have been appearing on my blog if you only know where to look and they will continue to do so. There will be cake today. Happy birthday Alex and Ian. Always remembered.
Ben Jonson (1573–1637)
It is not growing like a tree
In bulk, doth make Man better be;
Or standing long an oak, three hundred year,
To fall a log at last, dry, bald, and sere:
A lily of a day
Is fairer far in May,
Although it fall and die that night—
It was the plant and flower of Light
In small proportions we just beauties see;
And in short measures life may perfect be.
To see others' experiences see Wife in the North's article, Jane Hansen's experience as told in the ABC Australian Story television program and her book Three Seasons, and Mary Coustas' article in The Sydney Morning Herald.
- All Saints Day, also known as All Hallows or Hallowmas.
- The Day of the Dead, a day to honour dead children and infants in Mexico.
- The Youruba people in West Africa have a statue carved, called the Ere Ibeji, to represent each child when their twins die.
- In Japan, the god Jizo is believed to be the guardian of children who died before their parents, especially those who have been stillborn or miscarried, and his statues can be found at roadsides and gravesites.
- 2008: Remembered with a candle cake
- 2009: Remembered with a number two cake
- 2010: Remembered with a number three cake
- 2011: Remembered with a monkey cake
- 2012: Remembered with a rocket cake
- 2013: Remembered with owl and spider cupcakes
- 2014: Remembered with a monster cake
- 2015: Remembered with ghost cupcakes
- 2016: Remembered with a medieval castle cake