Thursday 1 November 2018

Remembering Alex and Ian 11

It is the 11th anniversary of the birth and death of our stillborn twins Alex and Ian.  I wish they could be here to celebrate their birthday with us.  I wonder what their life might have been like.  And I remember them often.

Each year on their birthday, I share some links on stillbirth from the media and internet.  There is so much online these days that this is just a few articles that caught my attention. (More can be found in my annual remembrance posts for Alex and Ian.):

Kristina Keneally says her stillborn daughter 'changed her forever' in maiden speech - The Age newspaper 27 March 2018

5 ways to help parents cope with the trauma of stillbirth, The Conversation, 26 October 2017

Miscarriage is real, common, and we need to talk about it more - The Age newspaper 24 May 2018

"Zara Tindall fights back tears as she opens up about devastating miscarriages", Hello Magazine, 7 September 2018 (Zara Tindall is the Queen's granddaughter)

I went through a 10 hour labour to be told my baby didn't officially exist, Hayley Richardson on Kidspot, 21 August 2018

https://www.refugeingrief.com/ - website of Megan Devine who wrote It's OK that you're not OK.

I had a miscarriage 19 years ago, and I am still grieving, Melissa Bianco on Scary Mommy

Senate inquiry into stillbirths in Australia: Heartbreaking public submissions show tragedy affecting 1 in 100 pregnancies, news.com.au 29 May 2018

Let me see my baby: How to talk about stillbirth and the death of a child, ABC news, 26 April 2018

‘There has been so much loss on my journey to motherhood’ Hilary Harper in MamaMia, 12 May 2015

Decades after stillbirths, long-grieving parents find answers in mass graves, ABC news, 7 October 2018

6 comments:

  1. I wish I were sending well-wishes for the big 11th birthday. I wonder if they would have been into Harry Potter and hoping to get their Hogwarts letters? I've watched Sylvia grow up so much over the course of following your blog and can only imagine how lovely and big Alex and Ian would be by now too.

    Earlier this year, I watched a documentary on a British charity that offers support for people who have been affected by stillbirth or neonatal death (Sands, I think, is their name?) and thought of you and your boys. Much love for you and your family on this day especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Johanna, I'm sending you long-distance hugs. Your boys are so loved and truly, it is heart wrenching to imagine what they would have been like as newly-minted teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Undoubtedly your life would have been richer with them in it, I really admire the way you honour both Alex and Ian on their Birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for another thoughtful post bringing attention to this important issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your remembrance posts are beautiful. Alex and Ian have an amazing mum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and love are with you Johanna. Your sons will always be remembered and loved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)