Sunday 27 November 2016

Aquafaba (chickpea brine) recipes - vegan and eggless

Aquafaba meringues were such an exciting discovery last year.  Using the aquafaba, also known as brine or the liquid drained off a tin of chickpeas, instead of egg white has been surprisingly successful.  Who would have thunk it!  It was like the last frontier in vegan baking had been reached.  As a vegetarian who has never liked egg, I have been delighted that I can go for months without buying eggs because if I want to bake, I can often use aquafaba instead.

Sometimes I add aquafaba and am not convinced it makes a huge difference.  It makes me wonder just how essential eggs are for baking.  Indeed I would go as far as saying that aquafaba is changing my traditions and opening up new opportunities.  (I still want to try making marshmallows, ice cream, a fruit meringue pie, nougat and mayonnaise.)  Below are some of the recipes I have enjoyed making with aquafaba.










For more recipes and advice on aquafaba, check out the Aquafaba (vegan meringues hits and misses Facebook Group.

This post is part of the Vegan Month of Food (Vegan MoFo) in November 2016.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2016 Vegan MoFo posts. 

Week 4's theme is Memories and Traditions

8 comments:

  1. I have not been experimental at all with aquafaba....still on my to do list. I love your beautiful meringues, and how cool that you can make royal icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been fascinated by aquafaba since I discovered it too and have made a few recipes, but not as many as you. I am hoping to get my Kitchenaid Mixer with the Whisker attachment and have a go at making some meringues for Christmas gifts. I know your collection of aquafaba recipes will grow and inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great round up. Like you, I have found that sometimes eggs don't need replacing at all in recipes, or at least not with very much. However, for egg heavy dishes (meringues being the obvious example) aqua faba is an amazing resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone who is yet to use aquafaba, this post is really inspiring! My local supermarket only sells tinned chickpeas without water, which has thwarted my dreams of trying it thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you get dried chickpeas? If you boil them yourself, I think the cooking liquid is aquafaba :)

      Delete
  5. Aquafaba meringues were something of a revelation to me - i think I mainly love them so much because of the face people make when you tell them what they're made of! 'Chickpea brine? Urgh!'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those crepes look amazing! I am going to try your recipe as I haven't found any vegan crepes I am really happy with yet - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an Aquafaba genius for sure! You have absolutely got the brine sussed haven't you? What an amazing selection of recipes! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)