Tuesday 24 October 2023

Sir George Pub, Jugiong, NSW

Who doesn't love an Australian country pub!  I decided that was where I would stop for lunch on my Canberra to Melbourne drive.  I had never heard of Jugiong previously but my timing was excellent for discovering a new place to stop on the Hume Highway.  Country pubs are grand and imposing, commandeering your attention and beckoning you inside to a cosy and nourishing embrace.  Sir George Pub, built in 1852 to feed and water travellers, is a large whitewashed pub with an elegant wooden verandah and solid thick stone walls.  I was impressed with its vegetarian offerings, fancy mocktails and charming rooms.

The entrance leads down a corridor to a newer part of the hotel flanked by the old stone walls.  The shelves displayed some of the sourdough breads, regional wines, jars of jam and sauces for sale.  I am not sure if the blankets at the bottom were for show or for sale.  There is also a homewares shop upstairs.

I really loved the sign by the counter: "Stand awkwardly here and wait to be seated."  I could do that!  But ordering was at the counter and I found that it was best to have a table number when I ordered.

With my food ordered, I headed to the bar to order a mocktail.  I was so tempted to eat inside in this cosy area but as you can see there was sunshine calling me outside. 

I ordered the Garden Grown mocktail.  It comprised Seedip 108 (non-alchoholic gin), apple juice, lemon juice, honey syrup, rosemary, and garnished with a sprig of lavender!  It was excellent and even more fun because I was able to watch the bartender create it.  Being an audience to the joyful performance of cocktail-making - measuring, pouring, puddling, squeezing, stirring - is a rare treat for me.

Instead of settling into the cosy heritage rooms inside, I went outside for some fresh air.  This was welcome in the day mostly spent inside my car.  It was lovely to sit outside in the shade and enjoy the views of the gardens with purple flowering vines.

When I ordered I had chosen a Zucchini Lasagna from the Tagalongs menu thinking it was another set of smaller dishes.  I had not twigged until later that it was the kids menu.  But this explained when it came why it was presented quite blandly.  That is kids food for you!  

Fortunately I was wise enough to want a few more vegetables so I had also ordered a Roasted Butternut Pumpkin from the Smalls menu.  It came served beautifully with parsley and onion, romanescu sauce and almonds.  It tasted amazing with the charred skin, soft flesh, fresh herbs, creamy flavourful sauce and the crunch of nuts!

I was so happy with my meal choices.  Either alone might have been either too stodgy or too much vegetable but together they were a delight!  It was a large meal and I ended up taking some of it home to eat as leftovers.


I also loved this avenue of snow pear treats in blossom.  It was no surprise to read that the Sir George is a venue for weddings and other events.  The gardens are so pretty.  I am sure it must be popular.

I really loved Sir George Pub.  It was very inclusive as can be seen by the mocktail, the vegetarian kids meal and the wonderful vegan and gluten free pumpkin dish.  While not cheap, I was so satisfied and happy that I did not feel the need to stop for much more food on the remaining 5 hours drive home. 

With our recent Voice referendum, I had had lots of discussions about equity being beneficial to everyone.  In the menu was a fine example of that.  At the back they had a glossary.  You might think this is to help country folk and foreigners.  But, as one of the so-called "city elites", I found it helpful to see some of these fancy terms spelled out because we all have a lot to learn!  And we are better people and kinder company when we are doing it together than with all the ugly division the No vote in the Voice referendum has created.

I am delighted to have discovered the Sir George Pub at Jugiong.  I don't often drive along the Hume Highway but when I do I hope to return here.  Meanwhile I am very happy to recommend this splendid pub, with its beautiful spaces and delicious food, to others.


Sir George Pub

320 Riverside Dr, Jugiong NSW 2726
Phone: 1300 345 613
Open Tues - Sun for lunch and 7 days a week for dinner
www.sirgeorge.com.au

More posts from my trip:

 

3 comments:

  1. We went here a few years ago and they have done such a great job with it. The bread was also amazing, so much so that we brought a loaf along on our travels and it stayed fresh for a few days until we got home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we really enjoyed our stop at Jugiong a year or two back. We had lunch at Long Track Pantry. We checked out the accommodation in the little cottages; soooo expensive so I guess we won't stay there in the future :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)