Monday 15 September 2014

Sesame Hummus Bites

The truth is that I find Sylvia's lunches quite boring.  It makes me a little guilty for not giving her more interesting food.  Yet she seems quite happy with them and has little desire for new ideas.  Every now and again I try a little harder.  Like when I made Emma's Sesame Hummus Bites.  She resists my new ideas.  Then I think why bother and happily eat the leftovers of yet another failed lunch attempt.

Honestly I thought I might be onto a good thing with the Sesame Hummus Bites.  Sylvia loves hummus and she loves carrot.   Perhaps I should have factored in that she wont eat my homemade hummus.  It has to be from the shops.  Yet I still didn't expect a huge list of other women she would prefer to be her mother when I insisted that she try these little balls.

On the up side she ate two of them.  (She seemed to like the sesame seed coating!)  So there was some justification for reducing the spring onion and spicy flavours!  On the downside, it just seemed too much to expect her to eat any at school without my gentle persuasion.

At least I enjoyed them.  And forgot them.  And rediscovered some left in the fridge a week later and enjoyed them all over again.  So I can confidently tell you that they last up to a week very well.  They are great little snacks.  They would work brilliantly in a platter, or a picnic, as well as in a lunchbox of someone less fussy than Sylvia.  They are just the thing for a hot summer's evening when you don't want to turn on the stove.  And I can confirm that they are great with salad and work well in a salad sandwich.

I am sending these cookies to Healthy Vegan Fridays #12, hosted by Kimmy of Rock my Vegan Socks and Robin of Vegan Dollhouse.

More vegan finger food from Green Gourmet Giraffe:

Sesame Hummus Bites
Adapted from Coconut and Berries
Makes 20 balls

400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 spring onion, white part only, finely sliced
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 medium carrot, finely grated
1-3 Tbsp water, or as required
3 tbsp chickpea flour, or as required
1/2 cup sesame seeds (white, black or a mixture)

Mix chickpeas, spring onion, lemon juice, tahini, paprika and salt in food processor.  Stir in carrot by hand.  If required add water or chickpea flour to make a firm paste/mixture that you can roll into balls (make a little ball to test if it holds together).  I found my mixture very wet even with only adding 1 tbsp of water and added 3 tbsp of chickpea flour to bind it.  Lightly dry fry sesame seeds.  Roll chickpea mixture into walnut sized balls and roll in sesame seeds.

On the Stereo: 
A Story to Tell: Starbucks presents powerful songs from the coffee house - Various Artists

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food September 2014.  This year for Vegan MoFo my theme is The Letter S.  Today is S for Speedy Mondays.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2014 Vegan MoFo posts. 

12 comments:

  1. It's such a challenge to find foods that kids will eat! This one looks amazing. And adult-friendly too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I forgot about this recipe. I bookmarked it too. Too bad Sylvia wasn't too keen. More for you, I suppose? I wonder why she doesn't like homemade hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She'll get over it eventually. And she'll be so grateful for your cooking mojo when she does. Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing little balls of tastiness Johanna and I Iove the addition of carrot! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for trying the idea out Johanna. Sorry it didn't meet Sylvia's approval but I'm pleased you still enjoyed it.
    As boring as you find Sylvia's packed lunches, I imagine she loves the familiarity of repeated meals. My nephews and niece seem happy to eat the same thing over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really great idea! I was just thinking yesterday how I wanted to have some more good savoury snacks to take to work - I find it easy to make little fruit balls and stuff like that which are easy to eat between clients or while driving to appointments, however I can't really take a jar of hummus and crackers AND keep my hands on the wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great but I think my Sylvia's reaction would be the same as your Sylvia's! I often think that my Sylvia's lunches are a bit boring too, but she is so particular it is hard to mix it up and she gets stuck in her ways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very guilty of giving my son boring lunches to take to school. I used to give him more adventurous options but they'd always come home and with the heat, I'd have to toss them. I save the adventurous options for when we're at home and if he doesn't eat them, someone else will. I'm glad Sylvia ate two of these xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, children! What an unfair backlash to present these and be given a list of potential other mothers in return! I think they look lovely and your face presentation made me smile. I'm sure Sylvia will be glad you pushed her food boundaries as she gets older - for many children even store bought hummus may be foreign and avoided so you're clearly ahead of many families anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hummus & Sesame Seeds? You are speaking my language, lady. They look yummy and it's super to know they last a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness these are adorable!!
    I wish my mum would have made these for me when I was little ;p
    Thanks so much for sharing these awesome little bites on Healthy Vegan Fridays - I always look forward to your contributions =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids often like simple things to eat hey! I think anything out of the ordinary just makes them stand out at school as the one who is 'different'!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)