Wednesday 29 June 2011

Smoky Lime Chickpeas

It's been a busy day.  Lots of cooking and baking and good food shared with a friend.  I'll share them with you soon.  Today I have a quick post on some snacks I made last night to nibble before dinner.  Smoky lime chickpeas, based on Susan's Chipotle Lime Peanuts.

Peanuts are off the menu since we found out about Sylvia's allergy.  However we all love chickpeas.  Sylvia ate them plain for dinner but I baked some with the seasoning.  It seemed a great way to use one of the limes off our tree in the backyard.  It also meant I could serve up a fairly plain Scottish Vegetable and Barley Soup which is not high in protein.

The chickpeas were lovely and full of flavour.  The sharp lime flavour on the marinade mellowed with cooking.  My only change would be to try a bit of garlic powder on them.  I would have been interested to find how long they keep but we ate them all before dinner.  They were quite soft so maybe they would have dried out in the fridge overnight.  Must find out.

The other joy last night was that Sylvia, who hasn't been too keen on veg lately, leaned across the table to where I was cutting up carrots and started eating slices off the chopping board.  It is always nice when she decides to eat a vegetable rather than me having to convince her to do so.  Once I saw she liked it, I cut a carrot into flowers (see an example in the photo at the top) and she loved it.  If only feeding kids was always so easy!

For other ideas about baking seasoned chickpeas see these Taco Chickpeas!

Update - Mel noted she had made crunchy chickpeas in the comments and kindly went away and blogged about them - I must try them.

Smoky Lime Chickpeas
Adapted from Food Blogger
makes about one and a half cups

juice of 1/2 large lime
1 tsp honey (or other sweetener)
1/2 - 1 tsp smoked paprika
shake of chilli powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp finely ground salt
about 1 tsp olive oil
400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Mix all ingredients together and toss with chickpeas.  Line a small roasting dish with baking paper and bake for about 20-30 minutes at 200 C.  They are done when most of the dressing is absorbed.  Eat warm or room temperature.  Ours went in an evening so I am not sure how long they keep. 

On the stereo:
Ballads: Moody Blues

15 comments:

  1. Love the flavours in these chickpeas Johanna! A while back I made something similar with more of an Indian spiced seasoning - cumin, coriander, chilli powder and from memory I used some onion and garlic powder. My advice is to eat them on the day when they are nice and crunchy as mine went a bit soggy on day 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful way to prepare chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm keen for anything with lime in it at the moment...so yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love love love baked/roasted chickpeas! I'm usually very basic with my seasoning, so I love the idea of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could see myself munching on these all afternoon! I love the seasoning on them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, looks like my comment got lost. :( However, these chickpeas look fab and like a thing to make ASAP! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great, I tried baked chickpeas once, but no matter how long I baked them they stayed soggy. Not sure what the trick is?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments

    Mel, interesting that your chickpeas were crunchy as I found mine stayed soft.

    Kath, I took a while moderating comments because have been quite busy - sorry if you thought your comment hadn't come through

    K - mine were soft too but maybe Mel has some advice on how to get them crunchy! (Though I enjoyed them soft when they were warm out of the oven)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, an ingredient list I love. My only experience with roasting chickpeas was non-crunchy too. Mel, tell us your secret!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm surprised to hear that no-one else has had crunchy ones. It was quite a while ago and I can't recall where I sourced the recipe from but from memory they took longer and a higher oven temperature than was stated to become crunchy. Maybe I should whip out a tin of chickpeas and have another go...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes please Mel - would love to hear how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Smokey lime sounds like a delicious seasoning for chickpeas. I'm completely addicted to Angela's salt and vinegar roasted chickpeas: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/08/03/easy-salt-vinegar-roasted-chick-peas/

    I like baking them long enough so that they're crunchy (but be careful you don't over bake because they burn faster than you think). I've tried roasting chickpeas without soaking in vinegar, and just adding some oil and garlic and onion powder, which was really yummy too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)