Our spring weather has been rather fickle lately. When it started to rain, I rushed out to photograph and harvest the silverbeet. I needn't have bothered. No longer had I rushed in the door, then the rain stopped.
I've had a series of these sort of small misadventures lately. Not that I have much to complain about:
- Bad news - I knocked over a plastic container of flour. The plastic was so old and brittle that a piece broke and flour went everywhere.
- Good news - When I made bread with the remaining flour, I found the lump of plastic before the bread went into the oven. (Honestly I thought I had taken out the broken plastic before tipping the flour into another jar!)
- Bad news - Sylvia tipped heaps of sand out of the sandpit all over the backyard.
- Good news - She was having such a lovely time playing on a warm and sunny day that I couldn't be too cross!
- Bad news - I arrived at work today to find my 'Rennie Mackintosh' necklace that I wear most of the time had disappeared.
- Good news - I found it when I got home. Hurrah!
I am sending this borscht to Deb of Kahaki Kitchen for her Souper Sundays event.
Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: CC Tamarind Tempeh with Noodles
Two years ago: Pate, Goslings and Bubbies
Three years ago: HoTM: Chocolate Sesame Cookies
Four years ago: Biscuits like birdseed
Sweet potato, silverbeet and black bean soup
an original recipe
1 tsp olive oil
4 pattypan squash, diced
3 garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt or to taste (depending on your stock)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 large sweet potato, diced and roasted
large handful of silverbeet (chard), chopped
400g tin of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small avocado, diced
Fry onion in olive oil for a few minutes and add squash and garlic for a few more minutes. Stir in cumin and smoked paprika. Add stock, roasted sweet potato, silverbeet, black beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve scattered with avocado chunks.
On the Stereo:
Fold your hands child, you walk like a peasant: Belle and Sebastian
Vegan Month of Food October 2012. Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my Vegan MoFo posts.