Friday 19 October 2012

MLLA Hummus revisited

Sylvia and I made a quick dash through the supermarket before her swimming lesson.  I didn't want a tub of hummus sitting in the warm boot of the car so I suggested we make some at home instead.  She agreed and helpfully carried some tins of chickpeas to the cash register.  Fast forward to dinner time.  I made a wonderful dip.  Suddenly Sylvia decides, as only a 3 year old can, that all she wants is supermarket hummus.  We finally compromise by adding an extra tablespoon of lemon juice.

I have been using a version of this hummus recipe since leaving home. Before I had even heard of The Moosewood Cookbook.  My friend Nicki had a copy of the book and wrote out the recipe for me.  It was a revelation.  This was before I had oodles of cookbooks and access to many more online version.

So perhaps it is no surprise that the eighth post on my blog was hummus.  That is over 1000 posts ago.  The problem was that I had recently got a copy of the revised Moosewood Cookbook.  I hadn't been sure what version to use on my blog.  Now I am a bit more confident and I have experimented with this recipe many times since posting it.  It seemed a good time to revisit the recipe.  And put up better photos of hummus (actually they don't really make it look that smooth do they?).

The Moosewood recipe makes a lot of dip.  I find that it is too much for us.  Sometimes it has not lasted the time it takes us to eat through it.  I also prefer more tahini than the revised Moosewood version and am wary about using too much garlic.  I have tried adding yoghurt or water but it can be a bit watery if it sits too long so this time I added some olive oil.  It makes for a smoother hummus (as you can see in the bottom photo).

Hummus is a classic dip that is a perfect base for adding other vegies.  I highly recommend roasted pumpkin, spinach or smoky red pepper variations.  We also love a beetroot hummus from the supermarket.  I must find a recipe for it sometime.  Though no doubt Sylvia will prefer the bought version!

I am sending this to My Legume Love Affair (#52), founded by Susan of the Well Seasoned Cook and hosted by Sra of When My Soup Came Alive this month.  And if you are interested in vegan dips, check out Cold and Sleepy Cooks who is blogging dips all October for Vegan MoFo.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Pumpkin cranberry salad
Two years ago: SOS Tahini Muesli Bars or Mama Mia!
Three years ago: MLLA Chana Masala
Four years ago: Lysy’s smoky burgers

Hummus
Adapted from From Mollie Katzen’s Moosewood Cookbook 

1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
A small handful of parsley, finely chopped
1 small spring onion, finely sliced
440g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
generous 1/3 cup tahini
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 and 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp - may have been too much)

Blend in food processor.  Check and adjust seasonings. Keep in the fridge in an airtight container.

On the Stereo:
Naked Raven: self titled

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2012.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my Vegan MoFo posts.

20 comments:

  1. I almost always add more tahini to my hummus also because, well...it's addictive and oh so delicious. Love your version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like tahini in mine too!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Joanne (and GG) - I have found I need a decent amount of tahini too - love it

      Delete
  2. Would Sylvia fall for it if you kept and rinsed a few supermarket hummus tubs, made your own, then stored it in the bought tubs? ;) Though perhaps that's missing the point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - I love your devious mind - maybe I should try that - though I think mine has a little more texture than the bought stuff

      Delete
  3. I love hummus too. Been making some this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a chickpea and hummus craving this week...your version here looks lovely and I am always intrigued by how slight changes to a recipe make such a difference. In theory, hummus is hummus but in reality, hummus 1 is not the same as hummus 2 at all! (As perhaps Sylvia deduced, although I think homemade wins over supermarket :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - we eat lots of chickpeas in lots of ways - can never get enough of them - agree that it is odd how everyone has their own version that is slightly different - and the homemade is definitely better than bought - esp the tub I bought most recently that was slushy

      Delete
  5. I love making homemade hummus, it is so quick and easy and makes up twice the quantity at half the price. Plus when I make it I know exactly what is in it. Love that your daughter is the chief taste tester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gourmet Getaway - hummus is quick and easy but I regret to say that I still buy it from the shops too because I don't get around to making it as much as I would like

      Delete
  6. Johanna, do you mean add vegetables to the chickpeas? That sounds really good! BTW I tried to look at the Pinterest board but nothing came up :( Perhaps it's my connection!] :( BTW beautiful day in Melbourne today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I mean blitzing up vegies with the chicpeas and tahini and seasonings - hope that makes sense. A great way of getting more vegies into the diet. Sorry you couldn't see the pinterest link - have tested it and it works from my end - as I suggested on your blog - try my pinterest account to find the board (see my About Me page for a link)

      Delete
  7. I love hummus though I've made it just once at home - mostly eat it in restaurants, and not many serving it here! We don't get it at stores, either. I once made a garlicky hummus full of coriander, loved it. Your post makes me want to do it again. I just might, tomorrow - I have a bowl of soaked beans sitting in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sra - I make hummus at home every now and again - we eat dips a lot more in summer so now that it is warming up I am in the mood for hummus - there are lots of different versions of hummus in our supermarkets. Hope you do try it again as it is so good when home made

      Delete
  8. Yum - shamefully I have never made my own hummus. Poor form I know ... its just the ones at my local shop come in all sorts of lovely flavours already decided for me. Are you buying my sob story???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chele - I understand - I wish we only had home made hummus here but so much to do and so little time - but I highly recommend trying it at home at least once

      Delete
  9. LOL - kids can be contrary. However, your homemade hommus looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - oh yes sometimes I think Contrary is her middle name :-)

      Delete
  10. I love tailoring hummus to how I feel or what I am pairing it with. This recipe sounds like a good classic version, far better than what you could get from the supermarket. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)