Sunday 13 November 2011

WHB Spinach pancakes - a little less ordinary

The traffic was busy. I had left Sylvia crying, got in the car and headed out to a nearby shopping centre with a Direct Factory Outlet. I turned the radio to a golden oldies station. I felt like a suburban cliche. Then I remembered that I had made gluten free spinach pancakes. The sort that would not look out of place in a Dr Suess book. I felt a little less ordinary.

The first time I saw these pancakes on Spabettie, my heart did a little flip flop of excitment. Such a glorious green. I remembered them when I didn't know what to do with all the spinach in the fridge. I also had plenty of eggs so I decided to try her original version rather than her vegan version with chia seeds. I stuck with her gluten free vibe, using a mix of flours inspired by Ricki that I first tried in these burgers.

Spabettie didn't include any seasoning in her recipe but my pancakes tasted a bit grassy without. With a modicom of seasoning they were wonderful. I tried them plain, with cheese and with hummus. By far the best combination was with hummus, tomato, salt and pepper.

Everyone loved them. I made them while E and Sylvia were out the back. Sylvia came in to help in her inimitable way - pressing the buttons on the food processor and eating the raw flours. I was pleased that she ate the green pancakes enthusiastically. She then asked for some pink pancakes for Dolly!  When I told E that they were GF he was surprised. 

As for the trip to the shopping centre, I turned the radio over to the yoof station Triple J, though I am well out of its demographic.  It didn't stop me buying neutral sheets (ugh - why don't they make fun sheets for grown-ups?).  However, Triple J was playing far more interesting music, even if I didn't know most of it.  It made me think that shopping centres often try and please everyone and end up being bland.  If you go out on a limb with a challenge, it will be hit and miss.  Though you don't always succeed, when you do it is brilliant.  Just like these spinach pancakes.
 
I am sending these spinach pancakes to Anh of A Food Lover's Journey for Weekend Herb Blogging #309, the event coordinated by Haalo and founded by Kalyn.

More savoury pancake ideas on Green Gourmet Giraffe
Blinis with sour cream and beetroot chutney
Cheese and chive pancakes
Corn pancakes and salsa
Pancakes filled with potato and lentils 
Pudla (chickpea pancakes) with green peas (gf, v)

Spinach Pancakes
Adapted from Spabettie
Makes about 14 smallish pancakes
  • 3 good handfuls of spinach - about 3 packed cups (most of 150g packet of baby spinach)
  • 3 eggs (or 3 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp water)
  • 3/4 cup flour (I used 6 tbsp millet, 4 tbsp quinoa, 2 tbsp arrowroot - 1 tbsp = 15ml)
  • 1-2 pinches of salt, or to taste
Place the spinach and eggs in food processor and process until a smooth green mixture - this took me quite some minutes so be patient.  Add flour and a pinch or two of salt.  Process until smooth.  Drop dessertspoonfuls of batter into a warmed and buttered frypan over medium heat. Cook for 1-3 minutes (I can't actually remember how long).  Mine didn't bubble up like regular pancakes when they were ready but when flipped they were slightly browned on the other side.  Flip and cook on the other side until lightly browned.

On the stereo:
Beautiful Girls: Rob Clarkson

13 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! I'm already looking forward to trying the chia seed version, and have noted your seasoning recommendations.

    Also, in the second photo, is that Sylvia's hand reaching for chocolate digestive biscuits? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color so much!!
    Thanks for participating in WHB Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great colour! If they don't make spinach appealing, then I don't know what would!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great colour. Just makes you feel healthy even looking at them... I really need to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so fun!! I love the bright colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed at how green they still are, even after cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lisa - that's what I thought when I saw them

    Thanks Kari - will look forward to hearing how they go with chia - and no it is no digestive biscuits that sylvia is reaching for - it is rice flour!!!

    Thanks Anh - always glad to be part of WHB

    Thanks Caked Crusader - I agree that this is one of the most appealing way of eating spinach I have come across

    Thanks Ashley - the colour is great isn't it

    Thanks Shaheen - they were a little browned on either side but I too was amazed at how the colour just got more intense with cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lou - yes they are a healthy way to eat pancakes

    ReplyDelete
  9. What amazing & tasty looking spinach patties!

    They look heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, this is really extraordinary. Need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, woww...these are crazy. I want to try this now! Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I'm so behind on blog commenting that I haven't seen this yet--and belated thanks for the shout-out! They look deceptively simple, but such a gorgeous shade of green. Must try with that same combo you mention of hummus & tomato--sounds just like my kind of breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)