Sunday 2 October 2011

CC Apple cider brussels sprouts

Last weekend.  A trip to Preston Farmers Market.  Lots of cooking.  Lots of leftovers.  A bag of brussels sprouts in the fridge.  A new copy of Lauren Ulm's Vegan Yum Yum.

I wanted green.  A quick visit to my blog will tell you I love green.  The wearing of the GreenGreen for hopeLeafy greensGreen saladsGreen soupGreen smoothiesGreen gardenGreen homes

Green was the theme of the Cookbook Challenge last fortnight.  So many wonderful green foods and recipes.  Time was tight.  I kept it simple.  Apple Cider Brussels Sprouts was quick and easy.  Fry the sprouts, cook them in cider, make a mustard sauce with cooking juices and toss sprouts in it.  Presto! 

We served them with leftover Silverbeet and Ravioli Stew.  I think this side dish would be wonderful with bangers and mash or a roast dinner.  Check the Cookbook Challenge round up for more green ideas.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Pumpkin soufflé pudding
This time two years ago: High tea walnut, quince and maple syrup biccies
This time three years ago: NCR: 'Chinese' Soup

Apple Cider Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from Lauren Ulm's Vegan Yum Yum
Serves 4 as a side dish

2 tbsp olive oil (or margarine or butter)
450g brussels sprouts
1 cup apple cider or juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp wholemeal flour
1 tsp seeded mustard
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt (I used 1/4)

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over a medium high heat in a heavy based frypan.  Add brussel sprouts and fry for about 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.  Add apple cider or juice.  Turn down heat to medium and gently cook for about 4-7 minutes until tender.  (Lauren did 4 minutes but I found mine needed an extra few minutes to be tender when I poked a sharp knife in).  Use a slotted spoon to remove sprouts and set aisde.

Stir the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, flour, mustard and salt into the apple juice.  Use the back of the spoon to break down any lumps of flour.  Bring to the boil.  It should thicken slightly.  Toss the sprouts in the cider sauce and serve hot.

On the Stereo:
Heavy Weather: Weather Report

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2011.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more Vegan MoFo posts.

10 comments:

  1. This looks so good - 3 of my favorite things! I love brussels sprouts, cider, and mustard! {And I too, love all things green, hence naming my blog differentshadesofgreen. ;)}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - apple cider + sprouts = yum!! Must remember this one for when sprouts are coming out my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this book for ages and can't believe I haven't tried these yet! There are heaps of great recipes in Vegan Yum Yum, hope you enjoy cooking from it and posting more about what you make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, green is great! :) I love green foods, too. How do you like Lauren's book? I have it and have enjoyed the recipes I've made (though I must admit some are too involved for me). Stunning photos, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like everything you served with them, but I do hate brussel sprouts, I am afraid :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking that it might be time to test the waters of brussel sprouts again...perhaps my tastes have matured enough to give them a go (I feel like such a child in not liking them!). This could be the recipe that makes it possible :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous, Johanna! You know how I love Brussels sprouts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kristen - you and I share a lot of loves - am sure you would love this dish

    Thanks Chele - I am glad I made it with the remainder of the sprouts this year - strangely a winter that was low on sprouts

    Thanks Mel - I only recently bought the book after swithering over it quite a few times - glad I did - lots of things I want to try in it and even a few I have already made from Lauren's blog

    Thanks Ricki - this is my first try of Lauren's book but I really like it - very fresh and modern - and who could resist the great photos - I agree some seem a bit more work but there seem lots of easy ones like this one too

    Thanks Jacqueline - I hated brussel sprouts until a friend followed rose elliots recipe for boiled sprouts and converted me - have never looked back - maybe this is the recipe for your road to damascus moment with sprouts

    Thanks Kari - I hated them - now I love them - you can change but I guess they are not for everyone - though I recommend trying them again

    Thanks Hannah - you will love this - is very easy and cheaper than Colin spencer's sprouts recipe that uses cointreau (though that is very good too)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I not notice this recipe in Vegan Yum Yum?! I love trying out different ways to cook brussel sprouts and this one sounds really good. I love green too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an under valued vegetable yet so very very good. I love the idea of it being cooked in cider. Win win for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)