Wednesday 26 October 2011

Vegan Mofu Burgers, Sauce and an Award

This is a post that demonstrates the best of Vegan MoFo: sharing food with bloggers, finding great recipes, veganising favourite recipes, and making connections in the vegan corner of the blogosphere.

One of the first recipes I spotted on Vegan Mofo that took my fancy was the Quinoa and Sun-dried Tomato Burgers on Miranda Writes.   I've never made burgers with quinoa before but have meant to.  I love sun-dried tomato.  The minimal amount of flour made them easy to de-glutenise when K and Toby came for dinner.  They went down a treat with some asparagus sauce and salads.

The burger recipe is one of those ones that is not quite as quick as it looks.  While it just directs you to blend up all the ingredients, shape and fry, a few of the ingredients require preparation - such as cooking quinoa and chopping sun-dried tomatoes.  I changed around the flavours and grilled them rather than frying.  They were delicious, though I found the sun-dried tomato flavour quite intense.  The mildness of the asparagus sauce was exactly what they needed.

Fortunately the burgers and sauce were fairly straightforward to put together, if not as quick as I would like.  Mymain energies were saved for the cheeze for the pumpkin cranberry walnut and goats cheeze salad.  The asparagus sauce was based on one I have made a few times before with yoghurt.  It was incredibly easy to veganise.  I also tossed some tomato, cucumber and avocado with lemon juice.

Fortunately I had prepared quite a bit ahead of time.  It can be slow going when there are small children about.  When I thought I would quickly run out to the backyard to get the washing, Sylvia suddenly took fright.  She was even anxious when I tried to go outside because there was something "really scary" out there.

We had a lovely time with K and Toby.  They brought along amazing raw cacao fudge cake pops for dessert.  As they left, Sylvia warned them that it was "really dark" outside.  I suspect it was just a ploy to stop them leaving because then next day she was making a house for them on the verandah!

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe
This time last year: Pea pate - sandwiches
This time two years ago: Snags, coleslaw and Julie/Julia
This time three years ago: My Personal Vegetarian 100 List

Quinoa and Sun-dried Tomato Burgers
Adapted from Miranda Writes
Makes 8 small burgers

1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
1 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (mine had been in oil)
1 cup lightly packed chopped baby silverbeet (microwaved 30 minutes and wrung out of all water)
1 handful parsley, finely chopped
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp linseed meal (flax meal)
2 tbsp millet flour
1 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
1 tbsp arrowroot
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp seeded mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder (I used 1 tsp onion granules)
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
Salt, to taste (I didn't use any)
oil spray, for cooking

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend well.  The recipe said to blend it until smooth.  Mine was mostly paste but still had some chunks of sundried tomato and some texture from the quinoa.

Chill in the fridge for at least an hour.  I left mine overnight.  Form into 8 small burgers (or 4 larger burgers).  Have some water on hand to keep your hands damp so that mixture doesn't stick to them too much.

Lay out burgers under the grill (broiler) and spray with oil.  Grill until crisp and browned.  I didn't time but you need to leave them for 5-10 minutes, checking every now and again.  Turn over carefully (they will be very soft underneath) and spray uncooked side with oil.  Grill until this side is crisp and browned.  This side will take less time.

The burgers are great with asparagus sauce and salad or Miranda suggests garlic aioli, lettuce and tomatos in a bun. 
    Asparagus sauce
    inspired by this recipe

    2 bunches of asparagus, chopped - about 2 cups
    70g silken tofu
    1 tbsp white miso
    squeeze of lemon juice

    Cook asparagus until soft but still green.  I cooked mine for about 4 minutes in the microwave with a little water.  Blend with remaining ingredients until smooth.  Check seasoning.  Serve warm.

    And now for the Leibster Award!

    Lastly I was delighted to be nominated for the Leibster Blog award by Jeni and K and Toby.

    “Liebster” is German and means ‘dearest’ or ‘beloved’ but it can also mean ‘favorite’. The idea behind this award is to bring attention to bloggers who have less than 200 followers and show your support during Vegan Mofo!

    The rules of winning this award are as follows:
    1. Show your thanks to those who gave you the award by linking back to them.
    2. Reveal 5 of your top picks and let them know by commenting on their blog.
    3. Post the award on your blog.
    4. Enjoy the love and support of some wonderful people on the www!

    I have chosen some of the great new bloggers I have discovered during Vegan Mofo.  There are so many that I have tried to pick ones that haven't already been given the award. 

    Kitchen Operas - gorgeous photos and fascinating foodie ideas
    Liz Lemon Nights - interesting reflections and delicious food
    The Crabby Crafter - attitude and adventure in the kitchen
    Scissors and Spice - glorious colours and fantastic flavours
    Corrina Darling - creative baking and great advice

    On the Stereo:
    Transparency: Frank Zappa

     
    This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2011.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more Vegan MoFo posts.

      10 comments:

      1. Thanks again for dinner, it was all so delicious. Btw, what was she talking about making us a house with?

        ReplyDelete
      2. Thanks K - loved having you over - don't know what your house was going to be made with - possible some bark from the garden - E was at home with her and told me about it - and I thought it was cute

        ReplyDelete
      3. They look fabbo, must make these and I love the sound of the asparagus sauce too.
        <:-)

        ReplyDelete
      4. what a wonderful way to use two of my favourites - quinoa and sundried tomatoes!

        ReplyDelete
      5. Those sound really delicious Johanna and I always think you finish off your meals with lovely sides. I fear this is where I fall down. I like the sound of the avocado and yoghurt dressing too, must try that. Hope it was just a ploy for Sylvia and she wasn't scared. Oh and congrats on the award my lovely friend :)

        ReplyDelete
      6. Congratulations on the award Johanna - very well deserved :)

        I really like the look of those burgers. In addition to sounding delicious, they are that little bit different to most veggie burgers. Very appealing.

        ReplyDelete
      7. What a delicious meal! I bookmarked these burgers too as I have been wanting to try some quinoa burgers and these ones sounded great. I'm particularly interested in your asparagus sauce, I'll have to try it one day.

        Congrats on the award, I really wanted to pass the Liebster onto you and K but thought I should spread it further for the sake of MoFo. I did have a feeling that it would come your way soon enough. :D

        ReplyDelete
      8. I always forget how delicious sun dried tomatoes are, because I grew up without them (mum's allergies again!) This looks like such a fabulous meal, Johanna :)

        ReplyDelete
      9. Thanks Jeni - it is a favourite sauce from years ago that suddenly came to me

        Thanks Lisa - they do seem a natural pairing

        Thanks Jacqueline - I try and have sides for extra colour and veg but I confess I don't always manage it - but the asparagus sauce is a great way to get some veg and colour in a meal without salad or veg on the side :-)

        Thanks Kari - they are quite different to other burgers I have tried - far more intense

        Thanks Mel - would be interested to hear what you think of the burgers - and the sauce - nice of you to say so about the award - I have visited lots of new blogs through the award so I think you are right!

        Thanks Hannah - I only buy them every now and again but it is great when I have them

        ReplyDelete
      10. I think I missed that other asparagus sauce you posted because it seems like something I'd remember! It sounds so yummy. I never think to make sauces to go with things. The burgers look really good too.

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)