Monday 10 October 2011

Vegan choc chip cookies

Great choc chip cookies should look like a pug dog.  They have the same sort of wrinkles as though they don't quite fit their skin.  Inside they shrink into a chewy gooey mess and the outside just can't keep up.  Obviously being vegan doesn't mean you can't have your choc chip cookie.  If I had a dollar for every time I have seen vegan choco chip cookies on the 2011 Vegan MoFo posts, I would be rich woman!  Today I add my own attempt!

When I baked these choc chips cookies a couple of weekends ago, it took a lot of energy to convince Sylvia that they weren't for her breakfast.  They were for the grand final celebrations.  Not that my family appreciated them much.  They didn't appeal to the celiacs, or the choc chip averse, or those who just wanted to eat crisps.  More for us!

Fortunately, we loved them in our house.  They were amazing warm out of the oven.  Once cooled they were quite soft yet incredibly moreish.  Angela suggested using a little oil instead of margarine to make them crisper.  I might just try it.  Next time I also should chop bigger chunks of chocolate.  Never mind.  They were a great snack in the park the next day and disappeared within days.

I am sending these to Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes for her Bookmarked Recipe Event.

Other Vegan Chocolate Cookies (Biscuits) on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Afghans
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudgies 
Chocolate tahini cookies
Pumpkin fudge cookies 

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Oh She Glows
Yield: 36 cookies
  • 1 flax egg: (1 tbsp ground linseed or flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water)
  • 125g margarine (I use Nuttalex)*
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup raw sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1/2 tsp and will leave it out next time)
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp molasses
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup plain white flour
  • 1/4 cup wholemeal flour
  • 2/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
Preheat oven to180 C (350 F) and line a large tray or 2-3 smaller ones with baking paper.  Mix linseeds seeds with 3 tbsp water and set aside.

Cream butter and sugars.  (I did this by hand but you could use electric beaters.)  Add vanilla (if using), bicarb soda, cinnamon, molasses and salt.  Gently stir in flours and then chocolate.

Drop heaped teaspoons of batter onto prepared tray(s).  You don't need to shape or flatten them as they will spread.  Bake for 10-12 minutes (I did 12 minutes) until just lightly golden brown.  Rest on try for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool.  Store in an airtight container.

* Angela suggests try substituting a tbsp of olive oil for one of margarine for extra crispiness.
 
On the Stereo:
Best of: Blur

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2011.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more Vegan MoFo posts.

11 comments:

  1. So why do my chocolate chip cookies always turn out looking like a great dane? I like them crispy too. Classic recipe. Thanx for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Great choc chip cookies should look like a pug dog" << hehe love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I have yet ventured to vegan baking, but I am keen to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I woke up on Sunday morning from a dream in which I was dictating a recipe for vegan choc chip cookies to someone! My version had raspberries in it, and when I tried making the cookies while awake, they predictably came out very soft and fell apart a bit. Tasty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, lovely :) I have actually found vegan chocolate chip cookies to be better than the original variety. But then again, I have never met a soft / chewy chocolate chip cookie that I didn't like at least a little! I don't have them often, but everynow and then they are just right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the analogy of the pug dog - very descriptive.
    But I'm intrigued - you know people who are chocolate-averse? How tragic for them. Do they have support groups?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I love the pug dog comparison...too cute! And too true. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks GiGi - great dane, huh? I'd love t see your cookies :-)

    Thanks Lisa - glad to share a laugh

    Thanks Anh - vegan baking is great - and fascinating - I particularly like all the egg substitutes

    Thanks Catherine - funny dream - raspberries sounds great - I recently made muffins with a strawberry reduction - maybe you could try that - last night I dreamt that I made watermelon and black bean burgers - I didn't try to make them though!

    Thanks Kari - I love choc chips cookies and sometimes make a huge batch that I put in the freezer and take out a few at a time - but I don't think I have made them vegan before - now I want to try them with oats which I love

    Thanks Amanda - my dad loves chocolate but doesn't like baked goods with choc chips which I think is even weirder than a friend who doesn't like chocolate at all! There should be support groups for such people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Joanne - it is try isn't it - maybe we could rename them pug dog cookies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw that recipe on Angela's blog and thought it looked great. It's been quite some time since I had choc chip cookies with white flour or real sugar, but these sound like a winner! My all-time favorite vegan cc cookies (if you ever want to try again) are Dreena Burton's Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies (from her second book, I think). Seriously better than those with butter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha I LOVE your description of what the perfect chocolate chip cookie should be!! :) These look delicious. I never get tired of trying out new chocolate chip cooking recipes and have been meaning to try Angela's version.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)