Tuesday 11 October 2011

Pumpkin miso muffins

 
Leftover roast pumpkin.  I wanted to bake.  Danni made Pumpkin Miso Muffins at the recent bloggers potluck.  I didn't get to try them.  I wanted to.  That was a good excuse to try the recipe.

I made them in the evening.  They were to be part of Sylvia's dinner.  And a pre-dinner snack for us.  Dinner was going to be late.  Pastry was involved.

I used twice as much milk.  Roast pumpkin is far drier than boiled pumpkin.  I baked them in old gem scone tins that I picked up at an op shop.  The other cupcake tins came form my mum.  The muffins looked ugly when they went in the oven.  They looked ugly when they came out.

I liked them.  They had that sweet and savoury umami of miso, and a moist crumb thanks to the pumpkin.  Sylvia had a taste and left hers.  Then I put a candle in the muffin for Dolly's birthday.  A candle made it taste better.  She ate the whole muffin.  E found his expectations confounded.  He expected savoury and found it slightly sweet. I put the rest in the freezer for work lunches.  Too good for sharing.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe
This time last year: Salad dressing ideas
This time two years ago: All About Apples: history, culture and soup
This time three years ago: Milestones and Rissoles

Pumpkin miso muffins
Adapted from Just Bento
Makes 24 mini-muffins, or 10 regular size muffins

1 cup roasted pumpkin, mashed
1/2 cup milk (I used Vitasoy)
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white miso
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup plain white flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preheat oven to 180°C / 375°F. If necessary, oil or spray your muffin tins.

Mix together the wet ingredients and smoked paprika.  Add flour, baking powder and bicarb of soda.  Even after adding more milk than the original recipe suggested, I still found it quite a stiff batter.

Spoon batter into muffin tins. Smooth the tops if you want them to look even because they don't spread and smooth out as they bake.  Bake for 15-20 minutes for mini muffins, 25-30 minutes for regular size. The muffins will not rise much, but will be lightly browned on top. Cool on a rack. Can be frozen.

On the Stereo:
No need to argue: The Cranberries

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2011.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more Vegan MoFo posts.

10 comments:

  1. Pumpkin and miso? In a muffin? I'm seeing so many interesting ideas I would never have thought up this MoFo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great. Miso in a muffin would never have occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have thought to use miso like thi! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting combination. I did smile at your comment that "E found his expectations confounded" - my poor partner often has similar experiences and his taste buds don't always adapt well! It sounds like these were a success all around though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know the muffins would be worth it, but I'd have such a hard time resisting those gloriously glossy caramelised chunks of freshly roasted pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the sound of these. Perhaps I should open the last of my autumn harvest pumpkins.....I love the combination of soy and pumpkin so I think miso would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love pumpkin anything, and the miso flavouring sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks corrina darling - me too - mofo is overwhelming but lots of interesting stuff

    Thanks Laura - nor me - but it works

    Thanks Lisa - it is novel but interesting

    Thanks Kari - it is the trouble with too much experimentation - though E is usually quite good about it and tries lots of things

    Thanks Hannah - when I get a wedge of pumpkin I love to roast it and there are always ways to use it but sometimes it is so good it just gets eaten as is

    Thanks Liz - having a stash of autumn harvest pumpkins sounds like luxury - I love pumpkins in muffins so can highly recommend using them this way

    Thanks Cakelaw - I agree - not much that pumpkins don't taste delicious in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not entirely sure I'd go for that sweet-plus-umami of the miso myself. . . but I'll take your word for it. ;) And I love that Sylvia changed her mind after you put a candle in the muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting!! I would never think to put pumpkin and miso in a muffin like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)