Tuesday 7 July 2009

NCR Quinoa, Cabbage and Corn Soup

Last year when I first tried quinoa Lisa recommended I try her Quinoa Soup with Corn. And I did. It was very good. I had some lovely colourful red quinoa. I added a few vegetables and ate it for lunch. I dug out an old photo and it felt like a journey back in time to go through some old photos.

It was a soup good enough to blog but I felt I needed to try it again. That took me almost a year. Then a few weeks ago my sister Fran and my mum were coming over for lunch. I cooked up a big pot of it with lots of lurking vegetable from the fridge the night before. It is a good feeling to wake in the morning and have lunch ready to heat and serve. Fran brought over some lovely ciabatta. We heated up bowls of soup, cut big chunks of bread and chatted over lunch.

My mum noticed that the corn was fresh and commented on what a difference that made. I agree and feel that there could be even more corn in this soup. It was a great way to use up my cabbage, which gave it heaps of flavour, although after a few days it was a bit smelly, though still very tasty. I used herbs from the garden and some baby turnips that my mum had bought me in a moment of curiosity. The quinoa added a pleasing chewy substance. I did prefer the colour of the red quinoa but I don't think the colour affects the flavour. E liked it with a handful of grated cheese but I don’t think this is at all necessary as there was enough flavour without it.

Lisa is right in advising that quinoa makes a great addition to a soup. So I am now returning the favour and sending it back to her for the No Croutons Required Event she founded with Jacqueline. This month Lisa is hosting and the theme is grains in a vegetarian soup or salad. I just know she will love it.

Quinoa, Cabbage and Corn Soup
(adapted from Lisa’ Kitchen)
Serves 8 (4 dinners and 4 lunches)

1 tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
¼ cabbage, chopped
2½ litres of water
bouquet garnet (bay leaves, rosemary, parsley, thyme)
2 tsp salt
2 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
6 baby turnips, trimmed and chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
kernels of 3 cobs of corn
2 small zucchini, chopped
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chilli paste
1½ cups (300g) dried quinoa
juice of half a lemon
handful of chopped fresh parsley, to serve
cheese to serve (optional)

Fry onions in oil in a large stockpot for 3 minutes on a low heat. Add carrots, celery and cabbage, and fry for 7 minutes. Then add water, bring to the boil and simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients (in the order on the list), placing in the pot as you go. This should take about 20-30 minutes, some of which is while the water is coming to the boil. I placed the quinoa in the pot last and turned off the heat. Then I left it overnight and when I warmed it the next day the quinoa was cooked. If you want to serve straight away, you could add the quinoa in with the water and check it is cooked before serving. Stir the parsley in just before serving. Sprinkle with grated cheese if desired.

On the stereo:
The World of Michael Nyman

9 comments:

  1. I've yet to cook with quinoa but I tried it the other day and it was a nice grain indeed. I also love those soups where you throw in what you have in the fridge and somehow they work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could try this with flakes too, your a star :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I do love it! I must try your version. Thanks so much for submitting this to No Croutons Required.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that does look good and flavorful. And I'm always looking for a good way to use up fridge veggies. Hey, by the way, thanks for stopping by our blog! I'm really touched that you kept us on your blog reader after a 12 month hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo this soup is filled with lots of good stuff! And reminds me that I have corn in the fridge. I have yet to try quinoa in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinoa in soup...haven't try this one yet...will keep in mind. The one that you feature sounds yummie...love all the veggies in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great soup--sounds almost like a stew, hearty and filling. And the colors are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to try quinoa in a soup - think this will be it! Haha, it's so funny how boys love a grating of cheese at any chance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lorraine - I love emptying a fridge into a soup - it is the only way to use up vegies when I have no other inspiration

    Thanks Flower - would love to hear how it goes

    Thanks Lisa - a pleasure as always

    Thanks Neen - nice to hear from you again

    Thanks Ashley - corn and quinoa is a good combination

    Thanks Juliana - definitely one to keep in mind - hope you get to try it

    Thanks Ricki - many of my soups are like stews - I love them hearty - especially in this cold weather

    Thanks Kate - boys and grated cheese go together so well don't they!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)