Friday 11 November 2016

Vegemite and poppy seed scones

When we were young my family often had scones.  My brother one day asked for scones with vegemite and cream.  We all laughed at him.  Scones were sweet.  Vegemite is uncompromisingly savoury.  These days the line between savoury and sweet is more blurry.  I have made many savoury scones and the idea of putting vegemite on or in scones no longer seems so odd.

I was inspired by a recipe for Marmite and Poppy Seed Cookies.  I wanted to make scones so I adapted the recipe.  The scone recipe was quite similar to the cookies but a lot less butter, far softer and best eaten fresh.  I added a similar amount of vegemite but if you love the stuff I reckon you could add more. 

Originally I had visions of a dark black scone.  It was more of a warm caramel colour.  The flavour was also quite subtle.  There are hints of the intense yeasty salty black paste that pleases Aussies and bemuses foreigners.  It made them lovely to eat plain.

I took one to Sylvia to eat before her after school swimming lessons and she enjoyed it.  (Hence the scones without poppy seeds.  I'd made a promise.)  They would also be lovely with margarine, hummus or cheeze spread.  My main regret was that I made a small batch.  They disappeared far too quickly.  Next time I will double the recipe.

More vegemite recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Cheeseymite scones
Dark vegetable and lentil stew (v) 
Gravy (v)
Mashed vegetables with vegemite (v)
Vegemite burger (v)
Vegemite fudge

Vegemite and poppy seed scones
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe
Make 6 scones

1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp vegemite
1 cup self raising flour
1 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp extra milk, for glazing
1 tsp poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 220 C. Lightly grease or flour a baking tray.

Mix milk and water with vegemite.  (It is easier to start with a little liquid and vegemite and then gradually add more mixture.)

Place flour and salt in a bowl. Rub in margarine with your fingertips (or as you normally would do – pastry cutters, food processor etc) til it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Pour in vegemite milk mixture. Mix in gently with a knife until it forms a soft and slightly sticky dough.

Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead briefly til smooth.  Pat dough out to a 2cm thickness. Dip biscuit cutter or glass in flour and cut as many scones as possible from dough. Place scones on a baking tray. Lightly knead off-cuts into a ball and press out again and cut more scones. Repeat until all dough is used.

Brush the scones with a little milk and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake in over for about 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and sound hollow when tap on top. Remove from tray and wrap in a clean teatowel. Best eaten on the day of baking.

On the Stereo:
All that Jazz: the best of Ute Lemper

This post is part of the Vegan Month of Food (Vegan MoFo) in November 2016.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2016 Vegan MoFo posts. 

Week 2's theme is International.  Today is an Australian variation on scones.

16 comments:

  1. Ah I do like a good scone, sweet and savoury and this may be the reason for me to crack open that jar of Vegemite my mother in law gave me a couple of months back, also not odd combo really - you must have heard of Marmite Scones (with cheese though), so am looking forward to this, fact that they all went is a very good sign,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I had thought of you and thought you might try these with marmite. I am not sure of the marmite scones - I know of the cheeseymite ones that I make which have vegemite and cheese on top and in the middle - is it like that?

      Delete
  2. These scones look so good, I wanted to bite my computerscreen. Not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara - you'd be much better off biting into a scone - ha ha!

      Delete
  3. When I saw this I was sure I'd made and tried vegemite scones, but it seems my memory is deceiving me - I think I muddled up / merged my avocado and hemp seed scones and vegan vegemite scrolls. Clearly I should have made vegemite scones though because now you've posted them they seem like an obvious and delicious chocie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it does seem obvious - not as dark as I had hoped but interesting flavour - however I am now curious to see what you would get if you merged your avo and hemp seed scones with vegemite scrolls :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - there are not enough savoury scones in the world!

      Delete
  5. These sound really interesting. Back in the day, I would have gagged at the thought of vegemite, but now I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I don't think these are too strong tasting so you might quite enjoy them

      Delete
  6. Ooh I love the sound of these, they sound sooo good. My mum is a massive fan of scones, she'd just love these.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - definitely one for the scone lovers!

      Delete
  7. This is right up my street - I love Marmite (sorry!), I love scones, and I need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I went over to the dark (darker?) side and ate promite for years which gave me an understanding of how unrelentingly intense vegemite is but now I am outnumbered by vegemite lovers and haven't had promite for ages - so if marmite is you thing then go for it - am sure it would be interesting in scones

      Delete
  8. I love scones, I have never attempted to make my own though. I'm not sure what I'd think of vegemite in them, seeing as how I've never had it, but I do agree that the lines are definitely blurring these days and sweet & savoury can meld together nicely =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I think scones is one of the easier things to bake so am encouraging you to give them a go - and they are best eaten warm and fresh - and everything tastes good straight from the oven!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)