Thursday 17 November 2016

Rainbow fruit kebabs

I've wanted to make a fruit rainbow forever!  I got close a few times but this year got the closest yet.  We almost made a fruit rainbow for a recent birthday lunch.  Then Sylvia saw rainbow fruit kebabs and that was it.  It is so simple it is almost embarrassing to post.  Yet it is so simple and pretty that it is worth sharing.

We had some discussion of which fruits to use.  Here is some brainstorming:
  • Red: strawberry, raspberry, grapes, watermelon
  • Orange: orange, mandarin. apricot
  • Yellow: yellow peach, banana, pineapple, mango
  • Green: kiwi fruit, green apple, green grapes
  • Blue: blueberries
  • Purple: grapes, blackberries, cherries
 Of course, it depends on what time of year as to what is in season.  We had strawberry, orange, yellow peach, kiwi fruit, blueberries and grapes. 

This dessert was so easy that Sylvia was able to take responsibility for this meal.  She decided which fruit, helped choose them at the shops, put the skewers together.  And she loved eating them.  The skewers took a bit more time than arranging them on a plate but we do not really have a plate big enough for a rainbow.  We only made 10 and could easily have eaten more if time had permitted.  I am sure we will be making these again.

More fun healthy food on Green Gourmet Giraffe: 
Carrot and cucumber tulips (gf, v)
Chocolate and black tahini cut out biscuits (v)
Franken sushi (gf, v)
Geegaw cups (v)
Polenta pizza people (gf) 
Watermelon monster (gf, v)  

I am sending these to Healthy Vegan Fridays and Gluten Free Fridays.

On the Stereo:
As Time Goes By: Bryan Ferry

This post is part of the Vegan Month of Food (Vegan MoFo) in November 2016.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2016 Vegan MoFo posts. 

Week 3's theme is Rainbow Food

16 comments:

  1. 'so simple and almost embarrassing to post' - well I am pleased you did as the visual presentation is stunning , just like a rainbow. Its adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - awww now I really am embarrassed at all your kind words :-)

      Delete
  2. Oo, I love this! So bright and colourful :)
    Definitely worth the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsey - it is quite cheery with all the colours

      Delete
  3. Hehe these are cute Johanna! Even if I don't usually like fruit I'd go for these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - quite a few of us wanted seconds and I wondered if it encouraged us to eat more fruit than usual

      Delete
  4. Aww, these are gorgeous and so healthy - and wonderful that Sylvia could be so involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - sylvia was very excited about these - probably because it was so easy to help

      Delete
  5. Cute! They remind me of the treats provided for a rainbow themed birthday party in one of the children's party books my mum had when I was growing up. I never had a rainbow party but I did always love that one in the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - I would have loved a rainbow party when I was young (actually I think I might love one now) but never had those sort of party books

      Delete
  6. So simple but so clever! Well done Sylvia for all her creativity.... they are so pretty and so effective (and I am sure very delicious too!). Looks like Miss GF has a foodie competitor down under. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so beautiful! Simple but they really make an impact. I'm sure Sylvia loved helping with these!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen - they did look great on the table

      Delete
  8. You can't be embarrassed about posting this - it's so pretty! And although it is simple, I bet it is time consuming. All of the fruit prep and carefully arranging them. Just beautiful. I bet Sylvia had fun with this =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - it took a little time and probably would have been much more time consuming if we had bothered to make more but the few we made weren't too hard (esp after the castle cake which was very time consuming)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)