Saturday 2 November 2013

WW Halloween treat: bat toast (with facon)

We haven't done lots of Halloween food in my house since I started blogging.  Halloween takes a back seat to remembering Alex and Ian.  But this year Sylvia and I have had fun making a few simple Halloween-themed snacks.  Perhaps she is old enough now, or I spend too much time on Pinterest, or I have the energy for it right now.  So I will share a few posts over the next day with Halloween treats.  Starting with bat toasts.

These bat toasts were a last minute idea when I saw blue corn chips in a health food store.  I'd never find them if I was looking for them.  I remembered some cute healthy bats made out of grape bodies and corn chip wings.

I thought I would do black olive bodies and then hit upon a brilliant idea to carve them out of tofu bacon and fry til dark and crispy.  Not as easy as I expected but it looked great.  And Sylvia was happy to have some tofu bacon for tea.  I placed the bats on sourdough bread spread with hummus.  Then I had the not-so-brilliant idea of the bats flying over purple cauliflower trees.  It looked silly. 

The bat toasts were yummy for dinner with some tricken soup (with noodles not rice).  Later I thought that you could do away with the corn chips (though they are easy) and carve wings out of tofu.  If you wanted to make this meal gluten free as well as vegan, you could use rice cakes instead of bread.  Maybe even some ghoulish red eyes could be made with tomato sauce in a squeezy bottle.  So many spooky possibilities!

No recipe but for those who want a summary of how to make bat toast: spread a slice of bread or toast with hummus, place fried bat body shape of tofu bacon in middle (or black olive) and place blue corn chip wings either side.

The bat toasts were great fun and so I am sharing them at Wellness Weekends with Ricki Heller who enjoys some healthy fun.

6 comments:

  1. Silly is good! I think it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - silly is definitely good when doing halloween snacks - but I thought it was better without the purple trees :-)

      Delete
  2. I find Halloween a lot of fun and a chance to do things that I wouldn't normally get to do. I think kids and kids at heart really enjoy it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - we never grew up with halloween but it does seem an opportunity for fun food for me and E likes all the scottish traditions of halloween (but I hope he doesn't expect us to carve turnips) and sylvia just enjoys it all :-)

      Delete
  3. These are very clever! I have seen (but not tried) those blue corn chips and am sure I would never have thought of turning them into bat wings ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - the blue corn chips are more exciting for colour than taste - but they do taste good - I have looked for them before and not seen them so I was glad I had been perusing the halloween ideas on pinterest so I knew what to do with them when I saw them.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)