Sunday 9 March 2008

WBB #20 A sanctimonious smoothie

Both Holler and Lisa have recently made a wonderful looking smoothies with blueberries, bananas, oats and maple syrup. I don’t eat blueberries or bananas by themselves but love them in a drink and they are fairy easy to buy at the supermarket (now that last year’s banana crisis is over). This drink looks delicious and so healthy it is downright sanctimonious :-)

I decided I would make one for myself this long weekend. Lisa had her oats soak in yoghurt overnight but I wanted a drink that didn’t require such planning ahead. I was tossing up between pancakes or a smoothie. So I asked E who was half asleep and said he didn’t want pancakes.

Happily I pottered about and made this smoothie. I am used to smoothies in juice bars which have much less yoghurt so I found it was quite sharp with the yoghurt but not unpleasantly so. I dislike adding any sort of sugary syrup to juices so I omitted the maple syrup. The result was a lovely fruity yoghurty sludge with lots of texture from the berry seeds and the oats. I’ve never have oats in a smoothie before but I liked the addition very much. This smoothie is even good if it sits a few hours in the fridge.

Once E got up he said he dreamt I said I would make him bacon and eggs. I gave him a sip of my lovely smoothie. He said it was too thick and he didn’t want any (hurrumph to the Grim Eater)! Then he said he fancied some pancakes. Luckily for him, I was feeling obliging as you will see in my next post.

I am sending this to Mansi at Fun and Food who is hosting this month’s Weekend Breakfast Blogging which was started by Nandita of Saffron Trail. The theme this month is balanced breakfast. Mansi has encouraged bloggers to try and cover as many of the following groups: Fruit & Vegetables, Grains & Cereals, Dairy, and Protein. Well if you count dairy as protein (which I do) then I have covered all of these so I would recommend this smoothie to Mansi for a balanced breakfast.

Blueberry, Banana and Oat Smoothie
(adapted from Tinned Tomatoes)
Serves 2

1/3 cup of apple juice
125g (1 punnet) blueberries
1 banana, peeled
250ml of plain-yoghurt
a small handful of oatmeal (approx 2-3 tbsp)

Blend all ingredients with a handheld blender or in a benchtop blender. Drink!

On the stereo:
Best of Scottish Folk: Various Artists

9 comments:

  1. Your version of this smoothie certainly sounds good Johanna. Smoothies are fun to make because the possibilities are endless. So easy to adapt a basic recipe to suit your own tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johanna, I don't know if my comment went through or not, because my connection crashed as I was posting it!
    I am glad you liked the smoothie, it is one of my favourites! I like to add the maple syrup, because I have an extra special maple syrup. Lisa sent me some of her dad's homemade syrup. I am eeking it out, slowly! I don't want to run out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this looks brilliant Johanna! Smoothies are surely a great way to start a breakfast!

    thanks for sending them my way girl!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Lisa - I actually have just bought a good jug to make smoothies with a handheld blender so I hope to try more combinations now I know I can do them at home

    thanks Holler (technical glitches are such a pain aren't they - didn't get any other comments!). I would probably add home made maple syrup too if I was lucky enough to have some. I may try adding maple syrup at some stage for research but will depend on how I feel :-)

    Thanks Mansi - loved thinking about the balanced breakfast challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smoothies are such great energy boosters not to mention filling and entirely satisfying. I could drive yours right through the page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great smoothie. I also tried it after reading Lisa's review of Holler's recipe (but I did soak the oats). I agree that it's creamy and rich tasting. . . will definitely make this one again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Giz - I am now thinking I need to make smoothies more as you are so right about the energy and satisfaction

    thanks Ricki - I hope I will be making this again - I might even try soaking the oats some time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Johanna,

    I came here from Mansi's WBB. Since I also submitted a smoothie entry, I was going through the list and became curious about adding oatmeal to a smoothie. So dropped in here to check the recipe, it sure sounds interesting.

    May I also point out that the link given in the roundup opens your home page and not the smoothie recipe page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks Madhuram - I am new to oats in smoothies but love them - would recommend trying it! And I will let Mansi know about the link

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)