Friday 29 November 2013

Vegan 'fish fingers' sausages

It is no coincidence that I am posting this recipe for vegan fish fingers on a Friday.  Old habits died hard.  During my childhood we always had fish on Fridays in Lent and often on other fish fingers.  That was what Catholics did.  Earlier this year I tried making veg fish fingers for the first time.  They were tasty but it made me curious to try other faux fish finger recipes.  Recently I tried a very different recipe.

The first recipe I tried was a marinated tofu that was then dipped in breadcrumbs.  This recipe I made recently was quite different.  It was a mixture of soy, maize and gluten flours kneaded with other seasonings. 

The recipe was created to be similar to Redwoods fish fingers.  I have never tried them and now would do so out of curiosity if I ever came across them.  (NB Online Redwoods fish fingers look far more like fish fingers than these.)

Yet again I enjoyed the dish but did not think it that close to fish fingers.  In fact it was less like fish fingers than the tofu one.  Not white or flaky or even oblong.  They were more like sausages.  Impressive sausages.  I've tried making a variation of the classic PPK sausage recipe before but it was too much gluten for me.  The 'fish fingers' recipe has more variety of flours and did not require steaming.  The recipe I was following said to bake them but it was a hot day so I fried them.

Despite the addition of dulse powder and seaweed, E said he couldn't taste seafood flavour at all.  I though I caught a faint whiff but maybe it was my mind smelling it rather than my nose.  I was really pleased that Sylvia enjoyed her sausage but she asked if I could do tofu fish fingers next time.

I used to love mayonnaise with my fish fingers as a kid.  I had planned to make Fat Free Vegan's tofu-cashew mayonnaise but lacked the ingredients.  Instead I used some avocado to make this green goddess salad dressing.  It worked really well with the fish fingers.

I will be making this recipe again but with different expectations and a few different seasonings.  Perhaps a bit of nutritional yeast flakes, some fennel, maybe even some herbs.  I might not have found my perfect fish fingers recipe but I think I have found a great sausage recipe.

I am sending this recipe to Ricki Heller's Wellness Weekends a weekly collection of healthy recipes from bloggers.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago:
Dublin cafe - Queen of Tarts
Two years ago: Chocolate crackles and the copha conundrum
Three years ago: SOS Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato
Four years ago: Edinburgh - arrival and M and S Cafe

Vegan fish fingers
Adapted from broadbean at the Vegetarian and Vegan Society of Queensland forum
Serves about 3

1 cup soya flour
1/2 cup maize (corn) meal
1/2 cup gluten flour
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp seaweed (ground to powder) - I used arame
1 tsp dulse (optional)
1 tsp vegan stock powder
1 tsp onion granules
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
milk and breadcrumbs, for coating
oil, for frying

Mix all ingredients (except milk, breadcrumbs and oil) into a dough.  Knead for a few minutes until gluten strings appear.  If it is a bit dry (mine was) add a teaspoon or two of water. Heat oil in a non stick, heavy bottom frypan and fry the fish fingers until golden brown all over.  (Alternatively they can be oven baked.)  Eat warm. 

On the Stereo:
Lennon Legend: The very best of John Lennon

8 comments:

  1. I remembered snacking on fish fingers as a kid and it was one of my favorite childhood snacks! After trying “fish tacos” at Veggie Grill, I was hooked and now after looking at this post, I really want to make some and dip them in mayo - perhaps chipotle mayo! The “fish” sausages look tasty, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rika - I did think of putting these in tacos but I think the tofu version would work better - chipotle mayo sounds delicious too

      Delete
  2. These do seem very different to the tofu-based equivalent - and very appealing. I find the idea of making them a little scary though as I have no experience with seitan / gluten flour veggie options. I will have to jump in eventually though; perhaps this will be the recipe to sway me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I would highly recommend this recipe as a way to start using gluten flour because it is lower in ratio on gluten flour than a lot - the only problem is that the gluten strings were less obvious than in other high gluten recipes I've had to knead but if you just knead for a few minutes and don't worry about strings you will be fine anyway.

      Delete
  3. These definitely look more like sausages to me than fish fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - not at all like the pics of redwoods fish fingers but the forum where I found the recipe didn't have any pics so I am not sure what their recipe looked like

      Delete
  4. Yum! Def going to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, here even some non-catholics or even people that haven't grown up with the Christian religion eat fish on Fridays. I have some seaweed I never use, thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)