Thursday 11 June 2009

Holy Broccomole

I love my vegetable dips. It is amazing what wonderful colourful dips are about these days: spinach, rocket, pumpkin, beetroot, avocado, corn, red pepper etc etc etc. But the one vegetable that I have not seen in dips is broccoli. (Though a quick search of the net will find some.) So when I saw it in a British magazine my mum brought me, I couldn’t resist.

Green broccoli and a cool name. It made me think of Batman and Robin – holy broccomole Batman, can you believe this dip! How could I resist! Broccoli is wonderful eaten fresh. Such a fresh vibrant green colour. The lemon helps to bring out the freshness and the tahini gives a little creaminess.

This dip is best left overnight for the flavours to meld. If you keep it a few more days in the fridge it starts to get a bit whiffy like its brassica cousins the cabbage and cauliflower. You know the smell that is reminiscent of a big black pot of stew in a crofter’s cottage!

So I recommend you try broccomole for something quick and different but it not a comestible to linger in your fridge too long. It is excellent on good bread or a corn thin and no doubt would benefit from a slice of tomato on top.

Broccomole
(adapted from Cook Vegetarian, February 2009)

1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (approx 400g)
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of one small lemon
1 clove garlic, chopped
Seasoning to taste

Lightly steam broccoli in microwave for about 2 minutes. Refresh and cool under cold water. Place in food processor with remaining ingredients and blend to a smooth paste.

On the Stereo:
Fold your hands child, you walk like a peasant: Belle and Sebastian

14 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a great idea...and looks so pretty. I have some leftover broccoli and this is going to be their final product. Great idea for an appetizer. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the absolute BEST title for a blog post I ever saw! The dip looks nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting dip Johanna! I never would have thought to use broccoli this way. So good for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm sounds delicious. I love broccoli! I've seen (and wanted to make) guacamole but with broccoli added mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I love the name as well,....hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just used the last of my tahini three nights ago. This is a must try as soon as it's replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the broccomole! I never think of making such creative veg dips - must give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a interesting dip, will have to try it just to see the out come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this dip sounds really good, thanks for the recipe! and i like the name, i'm a fan of puns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Juliana - it is a great way to use up leftover broccoli - hope you enjoy

    Thanks Lysy - the title gave me a laugh

    Thanks Lisa - I had never thought to put broccoli in a dip but it seems to work

    Thanks Ashley - confess it is not as good as guacamole but nice for a change

    thanks Sophie - worth making to say the name over and over for a good laugh

    thanks Tanna - I have to have tahini in my fridge because it gets well used

    Thanks Katie - I love different dips to tempt me to eat them because I get bored with the same old same old

    thanks Kiran - hope you try it - and enjoy

    Thanks twins - puns are fun aren't they :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I'm new with the blog world. I love this recipe and many others I have seen in your blog, thank you for them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe I love the name! Do you remember when they only had French onion dip at the supermarket? And now there are so many delicious ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a fantastic idea (plus, yum! I love broccoli so much!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Liz - nice to hear from you - will try and get over to your blog but time seems to get away from me too often lately

    thanks Lorraine - glad we have more choice than french onion dip

    Thanks Vegetation - yay for broccoli lovers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)