Wednesday 24 January 2018

The Backyard, Geelong cafe

Over Christmas after going to the movies at the Geelong Village Cinema (does anyone remember when it used to be called the Village Twin?), I spied an interesting looking cafe called The Backyard.  Soon after while shopping in Geelong, I stopped for lunch at The Backyard and was very impressed with my lunch.

It is a relaxing place with a lots of pale wood, metal and distressed furniture.  I sat by the window and enjoyed a gentle breeze.  Service was friendly.  I ordered kombucha and then perused the menu.  It offered a few promising dishes: Chocolate lamington waffle, Corn and zucchini fritters, Moroccan cauliflower.  I had to try the Superfood Bowl.

And I was most pleased with my choice of the Superfood Bowl ($17) which was broccolini, avocado, black rice, spinach, edamame, pickled cucumber, radish, almonds and sesame dressing.  It was excellent.  In fact as I ate it, only a week into January, the thought crossed my mind that this could be my best cafe meal of the year.  A big call!

As I had my laptop out and was enjoying some of the Backyard's WiFi, I decided to have dessert.  Though there were a few raw slices, it was the Raspberry and Cadbury Flake Muffins that caught my eye.  They were very nice though, especially the flaky chocolate topping and the raspberry flavour.  I would have preferred a bit more chocolate flavour but I guess Flake has always been a little light on.

I would definitely return to the Backyard.  But while I would love to try some other dishes, I loved the Superfood Bowl so much that it would be hard not to just eat that again and again.

The Backyard
188 Ryrie Street, Geelong
03 5298 1813
Open Mon-Sat: 8am-4pm, Sun: 8am-3.30am
http://thebackyardgeelong.wixsite.com/thebackyardgeelong

The Backyard Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of warm service, and a cool breeze! Sometimes, I really find myself craving macrobiotic or superfood bowls or things of that ilk - I don't know what it is, but every now and again, it's just the only thing that I want (always in cafes - oddly, I never make them myself!). I'm glad this one was up to par!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food sounds great, both what you ordered and the dishes you could have tried. Is $17 standard for a salad of this type in Melbourne these days? I'm out of touch with Australian prices and it seemed high, but then you would pay more than that in London once factoring in the exchange rate. The setting seems worth paying for here at least - wood and light and metal are a nice mix.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)