Tuesday 10 March 2015

Simple birthday cakes: rainbow cupcakes, jelly belly flower cake, choc mint cupcakes

Sylvia's recent birthday presented four birthday cake opportunities.  Yes it was a lot of baking, especially making three cakes for her castle cake the day before her birthday but that also meant opportunities to experiment with some simple decoration ideas.  I will save the castle cake and some other birthday party food for future posts but here I will share a few easy cake decoration ideas.

Firstly on the weekend before her birthday, I made rainbow cupcakes to take to a family birthday lunch followed by a swim at the pool.  The cupcake recipe I used was the same gluten free vanilla cupcakes that I had made for our jelly bean cupcakes recently.  As they are best on the day of baking, I made them early on the morning of the lunch so they cooled in time to decorate.

We had found the rainbow sour straps in the supermarket a week or two before.  Not as bright as some but they worked well with the baby blue icing to represent the sky.  I made the white icing for the clouds really thick so it kept its shape.  Sylvia helped to put the sour straps in the clouds (when not putting scraps of straps in her mouth)!

I also made sausage rolls to take down.  Sylvia has gone hot and cold on these but seems to be enjoying these lately.  They are easy traditional party food.  (Upon heading home at the end of the day we were happy to have left a few at home.)  We also had dips and chips and cheezels.  The desserts, however are the star of the show for my little sweet tooth Sylvia!

As you can see in the above photo the rainbow cupcakes were a little flatter at the end of the journey to my parents' house than when we left.  No doubt a hot day of 36 C didn't help.  You might also notice that my mum had a field day baking.  She made pavlova, as requested by Sylvia, as well as chocolate cake, fairy bread, chocolate crackles, little cake with pink icing (also a birthday girl request) and jelly cakes!  We didn't eat them all but no one left without a little package of goodies.

The night before Sylvia's birthday I baked chocolate mint cupcakes for her to take to school.  They were a variation on the vegan chocolate cakes that I made last year for her class.  This time I put a little peppermint essence in the cake mixture. 

The main attraction was the crushed peppermint crisp.  My mum always puts it on pavolva.  I thought it would work on cupcakes but after Sylvia had helped me sprinkle it everywhere (table, hair, floor) I worried that it would melt overnight.  I was a little bit right.  It was still edible but so so so sticky.  Sylvia and her friends seemed to love it.  One kid was seen licking icing off the tub after school!

Sylvia had many special treats on her birthday.  I took her to the hairdresser who braided her hair after the haircut.  I also took her along to the lolly shop to introduce her to the joys of jelly belly jelly beans.  I still remember discovering them as an impressionable 14 year old and I still am amazed by the range of flavours.  Some of Sylvia's favourite flavours were candy floss, buttered popcorn, caramel corn, toasted marshmallow, banana and watermelon.

For her birthday, her request for dinner was pasta with parmesan.  (I added some tomato and chickpeas on the table as well).  After school we decorated the banana yoghurt cake (which is becoming a favourite birthday cake) with leftover blue icing and jelly belly flowers.  When dessert came, Sylvia amused me when she cut herself a circle shaped piece of cake around her favourite flower!  It was the one with lots of different colours.

Here is a picture of more of her presents.  She is very into stationery lately.  Pens, pencils, erasers, sharpeners, notebook, clips.  (She has just discovered Smiggle!)  She was also very spoilt with lots of other lovely presents - books, craft kits, clothes and a little trampoline for the backyard.  And there was a party.  I will soon share some of the party food!

I am sending the rainbow cupcakes to Caroline Makes (and The More Then Occasional Baker) for the Alphabakes blog event.  This month the theme is the letter S (for Sour Straps).  I am sending the jelly belly flower cake to Eat Your Veg (and Bangers and Mash) for the March Family Foodies event: Let's Get Baking.

19 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY love all of these sweet and savoury treats and the photos are WONDERFUL! I remember I was into stationery when I was little too, and still love the smell of a stationery shop! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - me too - I find the smell of sweet scented stationery particularly evocative

      Delete
  2. the flower cake is just simply beautiful! Such fabulous design and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday to Sylvia! I just love her broad smile in the photo where she's holding the cupcake!! And her hair looks so lovely. Sounds like a very sweet birtthday, indeed--so many cakes! I'd be in heaven. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOOVE the rainbow cupcakes!!! I didn't notice they were flat until you mentioned it :) Peppermint Crisp was one of my favourite chocolate bars when I was younger, my sister and I would try to eat the chocolate before the peppermint bit. What beautiful treats for Sylvia! I smiled at her discovery of Smiggle because my daughter loves it too and I wonder if it's the modern day equivalent of The Body Shop-- when I was young it seemed buying something from the Body Shop was a rite of passage! Maybe for older kids though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - my mum always put peppermint crisp on pav since I was little so it has a special sentimental place in my memories but I don't think I often ate one that wasn't crushed and sprinkled - but I think I might have eaten the chocolate off too if I did. Smiggle does seem a phase all the kids go through just like they go through their pink princess phase and (thankfully) it seems to not last!

      Delete
  5. Such cute cupcakes! I tried to do ones like that but the rainbow strap wouldn't stay. Happy Birthday to Sylvia! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I didn't find it so hard to get the straps in the icing but in future would try and do it just before lunch (easier said than done of course)

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to Sylvia. The heat always interferes with the making of children's party food. I do love your rainbow cupcakes - so cute but I'm sorry they didn't survive the 36C day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - heat does present many challenges for parties - so I just try and remember at least we don't worry about the kids freezing in the cold :-)

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday Sylvia! What an amazing spread of baking - all of which looks great and those rainbow cupcakes are really clever. I love her braid and stationar too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Sylvia! I can't believe we both made castle cakes, can't wait to see yours! I really love the jelly bean cake and rainbow cupcakes - I'll have to show them to my Sylvia, she will love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - so funny how our sylvia's went for the castle cakes this year!

      Delete
  9. Those little rainbow cupcakes are THE cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! This post is cuteness overload! I cannot believe how cute everything is. You are such an awesome mom =) Sylvia is lucky to have had such wonderful celebrations - I hope she had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, those rainbow cupcakes are clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like Sylvia had a wonderful birthday and she clearly has a very clever mummy. Sometimes the simplest decorations are the most effective, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - the simple stuff is good for kids to help out

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday to Sylvia! I'm sure she had a great time what will all those lovely presents, cakes and beautiful braiding. Love these rainbow cupcakes especially with the blue and white icing. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)