Thursday 2 May 2013

Calendar of significant dates

I have compiled a list of dates to help me keep track of days that I'd like to remember or highlight on my blog.  Mostly food.  A few quirky celebrations.  Some international.  As much as possible, I have attempted to highlight some Australian calendar events. 

2013 - International Year of Quinoa
2016 - International Year of Pulses

January

6 January - Epiphany
25 January - Burns Night
26 January - Australia Day
26 January - India Day

February

Shrove Tuesday
Chinese New Year (February or January)
5 February - Nutella Day
6 February - Waitangi Day, NZ 
14 February - Valentines Day
17 February - World Cabbage Day


Easter Sunday (March or April)
1 March - St David's Day
13-20 March - Celiac Awareness Week
14 March - Pi Day
17 March - St Patrick's Day
21 March - Harmony Day
28 March - Earth Hour (2015)
31 March - Melbourne Food and Wine Festival starts (2017)

April

4 April - International Carrot Day
6 April - Tartan Day (America)
13-16 April -  Songkran (Thai New Year)
23 April - St George's Day
25 April - ANZAC Day
29 April - my Blog anniversary (started 2007) 

May



Mothers Day
1 May - May Day
1 May - The Beltane
5 May - Cinco de Mayo
6 May - International No Diet Day

June

Queens Birthday Holiday
National Celtic Festival, Portarlington, Australia
1 June - National Doughnut Day
2 June - Yell "Fudge" at Cobras Day
13 June - Kitchen Klutzes of America Day
16 June - Bloomsday
19 June - Red Aussie Apple Day (2013)
Winter Solstice (Southern Hemisphere)

July
Christmas in July
1 July - Victoria Day (Australia)
1 July - Canada Day
1 July - International Tartan Day (Australasia)
4 July - American Independence Day
14 July - Bastille Day
21 July - National Lamington Day

August  

Lammas
International Scone Week (@Fig Jam and Lime Cordial)

September 
Fathers Day
13 September - International Chocolate Day
18-24 September - Meat Free Week (2017)
19 September - International Talk Like A Pirate Day

October


Vegetarian Awareness Month 
Canada Thanksgiving
1 October - World Vegetarian Day
10 October - World Porridge Day
16 October - World Food Day (UN) 
23 October - Diwali (2014)
25 October - World Pasta Day
31 October - Halloween

November
USA Thanksgiving
Melbourne Cup
Stir up Sunday (Christmas pudding baking day)
1 November - World Vegan Day
5 November - Guy Fawkes Night (Bonfire Night)
11 November - Remembrance Day
13 November - International Food Photography Day
30 November - St Andrews Day

December

Summer Solstice (Southern Hemisphere)
13 December - St Lucy's Day
21 December - Gravy Day
25 December - Christmas Day
31 December - New Years Eve (Hogmanay)


More dates:
One of the hardest parts of working out days of celebration is that I couldn't find much about national food days in Australia but the UK and America (my other main points of reference) have different dates.  So I will add to the above list according to whim.  Below are some lists of dates that I have found useful:
I will continue to add to this list and edit the photos as appropriate.  Please let me know of any Australian/international food days/weeks/months of celebrations that I may have missed.

    6 comments:

    1. Neat list, Johanna. I have never heard of "Yell "Fudge" at Cobras Day" but I do hope you commemorate it on your blog. ;)

      May 5 is also Cinco de Mayo.. mostly celebrated by eating lots of Mexican food. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Janet - have added it to the list. I am sure I would yell fudge at Cobras if I see any on 2 June :-) I tried to resist adding too many esoteric ones but that one was so quirky I couldn't resist

        Delete
    2. We don't have many cobras hereabouts. Would it be okay to yell "Fudge" at earthworms instead? Fun list! :-D

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Louise - sounds fine - I think you are meant to yell it in a busy park really loudly :-)

        Delete
    3. International year of quinoa huh? Who knew! This is a great resource - thanks for taking the time to compile it. Now I just need to remember to check here instead of remembering all those dates I hear about but don't get to looking up ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Kari - I am actually using this list to put monthly updates on the side of my blog - still wondering about the best way to do it - maybe will need reduced list for the sidebar if the lists grow too much

        Delete

    Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)