Friday 23 December 2011

Rocky road

I tried making vegetarian marshmallow (from a packet) at home for the first time this year.  It was very soft and when I tried a little rocky road with the remains, it melted and was a mess.  I was wary when I found Dandies vegan marshmallows at Radical Grocery but excited too.  Another chance at rocky road.  I had particularly fancied trying Lorraine's Rocky Road with Turkish Delight and cranberries.
 
Just as well Lorraine had lured me with the hint of eastern promise.  I also came across a rocky road recipe with raspberry liquorice.  I wanted to use it, but it is not gluten free and I had decided to take some down to my family.  I considered raspberry jubes but they have gelatine in the end returned to turkish delight which was both gf and veg*n.

I also added shredded coconut which I love and chopped almonds for the nutty factor.  I would have used chunky nuts if not for choking risk with kids.  Peanuts were out because Sylvia is allergic.  Seems it is not easy to make a traditional rocky road with my family.  Doesn't mean it can't be delicious. I was relieved the that Dandies didn't disintegrate in the melted chocolate like the Angel Food marshmallow.  But they set quickly and got "rocky" rather more quickly than I expected.

I made the rocky road on Saturday night.  It was fairly quick.  Sunday morning we headed off to a birthday party for Sylvia's neighbour.  It was at Coburg kidzone play centre and I was really impressed with their flexibility in catering for dietary restrictions.  The amazing Vanilla and Carob Castle Cake was made by a friend, Catherine of Cate's Cates who has posted the recipe.  Isn't it just what every kids wants on their birthday!

We went home and stopped long enough to chop up the rocky road.  Then we headed down to my parents' place in Geelong to help decorate their Christmas tree.  It was the usual scene.  The tinsel was missing and we have to put on lights, tinsel, decorations in that order.  Luckily it was found before we had to do something drastic like change our traditions.  My mum was the grumpy onlooker.  My dad got out the ladder and chairs so we could reach the higher branches.  Sylvia and her cousins had fun hanging the decorations on the tree, but lost interest before it was all done.

We had a simple bbq lunch but had lots of chocolate goodies for afternoon tea.  As well as my rocky road, mum had made GF brownies and GF hedgehog.  She had also made some ginger beer that had the most impressive fizz when anyone opened a bottle as my dad found out.  (E had to take one of the bottles she gave us into the backyard and wait for it to finish fizzing.)

Finally I decided to take some of the rocky road and pieces of the Chocolate and Fig Fruitcake to work for some festive treats.  Most people enjoyed them, especially my colleague who took a piece of each to have for later because he was caught up with other stuff.  I am really pleased to have finally made some rocky road.  It isn't easy to buy the dandies as I don't get to Radical Grocery too often but I am sure I will be making it again some time.

I have more Christmas photos (hey I have a new camera!) that I hope to share tomorrow.  Meanwhile here is one of Sylvia's new toys bought for her by her father.  Dracula, or as he is known, "Drac" not only had eyes with a scary glow but also a scary laugh.  Sylvia loves him though her friend over the road found him scary.  Oh dear! 

Scary toys aside, it is Christmas craziness here.  I am now off to make fruit mince for panforte.  More baking will follow tomorrow.  E has just rushed to the post office to collect a parcel before it closes so we are looking forward to listening to Dr Demented Christmas hits.  We are also planning to watch Peppa Pigs Christmas DVD tonight now that I have been back to the ABC Shop to get the security tag removed.  Then some wrapping of presents tonight.  Hope you are enjoying this Christmas and have a relaxing break ahead of you.

I am sending the Rocky Road to Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes for her bookmarked recipes.  I also highly recommend you check out her NCR Festive Photos for some more seasonal cheer.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Potluck Tofu Chocolate Ice Cream
This time two years ago: Back home with festive flapjacks
This time three years ago: Coconut ice is very very nice
This time four years ago: Christmas Snowflake Biscuits

Rocky Road with Turkish Delight and Coconut
Adapted from Not Quite Nigella

283 g marshmallow (I used dandies - not home made angel foods)
250g turkish delight, chopped
1/2 cup shredded coconut (not dessicated)
1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries(I forgot)
400g dark chocolate (mine was 50% cocoa solids)

Prepare all ingredients except chocolate.  Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper.  Gently melt chocolate (I did this in the microwave - I think it only took me about 1 minute and quite a bit of stirring so that a lot of the chocolate melted out of the microwave and didn't get too hot).  Pour chocolate over remaining ingredients and gently stir.  Pour into prepared tin - work quickly as it doesn't take long to firm up.  Let set in fridge until hard.  Slice into squares.  We kept ours in the fridge but I think it could be kept at room temperature if you are not in the heat of summer.

On the stereo:
Images: the best of Jean Michel Jarre

13 comments:

  1. OMG Johanna, this looks fantastic and the timing of it is impeccable! I asked my son what he would like me to veganise 2 days ago and the first thing he came up with was rocky road. I have been compiling a list of things I would like to make in the New Year. I might keep this one quiet until February and surprise him on his birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rocky road looks wonderful - I am so glad the vegan marshmallows worked ok. I hope I can track some down one day! The not-quite-traditional ingredients appeal to me, especially as I don't like chunky nuts in rocky road much.

    Also, that vanilla carob castle cake may just be my dream too! I don't think I'll ever get too old for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rocky road sounds fantastic and sounds like the tree decorating was fun, so nice that you do it together as a family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you and Cate of Cate's Cate know each other? Squeeeee! I so very much wanted to try that cake, and also have swooned over that recipe of Lorraine's before, so pretty much I just wish I was at the party. But you know what? The best thing about being at the party wouldn't have been the food but chatting with you and Cate. This I know for a fact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marshmallows suitable for vegans and veggies alike, I so want some.

    Happy Christmas Johanna to you and your Family x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the sound of your Turkish delight Rocky Road, that's a novel concept I heartily approve of. Your mum's ginger beer sounds brilliant too. Hope you all have a great Christmas and enjoy the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your tree is already standing! We have to set ours up tomorrow! (Last minute, as every year ;) ...)

    Merry Christmas and happy holidays, Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummo!!!! I adore Rocky Road, especially with Turkish Delight in. Merry Xmas to you and your family Johanna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous rocky road. Love the idea of using the turkish delight for a twist. Sounds like a lovely family day. Have a wonderful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that you got to try the Rocky Road! Sounds like you had lots of fun there! :) And a very Merry Christmas to you all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mel - am sure there is lots of intersting food in your new year list - good luck with making rocky road for your son

    Thanks Kari - I never get too old to love fun cakes either - and hope you can find vegan marshmallows - I was delighted to find them as I read about dandies every now and again

    Thanks K - it is nice that we still make an effort to decorate the tree together with my mum and dad - the little kids love it as well as us big kids

    Thanks Hannah - I don't know Catherine well but she is a friend of a friend which is just lovely to have some read world contact and, having met her a few times and having her wonderful cake at the party, it is a shame she couldn't be there too

    Thanks Shaheen - would have loved to share some of my marshmallows with you

    Thanks Choclette - yes I was really interested in the idea of turkish delight - and the ginger beer was very good

    Thanks Kath - am sure your tree will look gorgeous

    Thanks Cakelaw - had to check out yours and love the sound of it with cherry ripe as well as turkish delight

    Thanks Katie - turkish delight gives a different taste that I enjoyed

    Thanks Lorraine - the moment I saw it on your blog I knew I had to make it some time - just brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to make Turkish Delight Rocky Road for Hubby's Xmas present every year ... along with a few other treats ... but thankfully I've never had to worry about veggie friendly marshmallows. So pleased you have found successful ones ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What interesting rocky road!! I've never seen one with Turkish delight or coconut or the other things you added. I love rocky road bars and am so excited about this different take on them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)