Thursday 12 May 2011

A Neb at Nut Roast - round up

When I announced my second Neb at Nut Roast event back in March, I had decided that the time had come to promote my beloved nut roast once more and encourage my fellow bloggers to join me in making nut roasts. I had seven wonderful nut roasts sent in, plus three that I made. Not a bad effort for a niche event.

Each nut roast the was sent in filled me with delight. I loved seeing people trying nut roast for the first time, bringing me innovative exciting new ideas for nut roasts and sharing my love of the dish. I know there are others out there with an interest in the event and I am sure you will agree this is a splendid round up of nut roasts. I hope it will inspire many more to give it a try.

Cooked raw cauliflower nut roast
Me (Green Gourmet Giraffe)
Melbourne, Australia

This was my failed attempt at a raw nut roast (blame my kitchen renovations) with almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, sun-dried tomatoes and cauliflower. I finally fixed it by adding eggs and breadcrumbs and baking it to turn it into a more regular nut roast. Not my finest moment in nut roasts but the mushroom whiskey gravy made it wonderful.

Vegan 'Cheese' and Walnut Roast
Me (Green Gourmet Giraffe)
Melbourne, Australia

This nut roast was made with walnuts and used tofu instead of the cottage cheese and egg I usually put in. A plain but tasty nut roast that works well with lots of flavours in a roast dinner or a salad sandwich.

Vegetarian Nut Loaf
Ashley of Eat Me Delicious
Vancouver, Canada

A chunky nut loaf made with walnuts, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, caraway, and topped with a tomato sauce. Makes me feel all nostalgic for my mum's meat loaf which was baked in condensed tomato soup. However Ashley uses fascinating flavours I never would have encountered in my childhood.

Buckwheat and sweet potato nut roast
Me (Green Gourmet Giraffe)
Melbourne, Australia

This was a very soft gluten free nut roast of hazelnuts, almonds, buckwheat groats, sweet potato, rice flakes, mushrooms and smoked paprika. It was quite a fragile nut roast that crumbled easily. It was great for roast dinner on Easter Sunday. The leftovers made a great chow mien.

Tamarind Thai Nut Roast
Lisa of Bake Bike Blog
Canberra, Australia

This was Lisa's first experience of nut roast. She took walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, peanuts, and almonds and paired them with Thai flavours: tamarind, chilli, fresh coriander (cilantro), chilli jam and spring onions. Being gluten free, she used brown rice, chia seeds and eggs to bind it. An unusual and yummy nut roast. Lisa served it with simple green veg. Just as well, for she found that nut roasts are very filling.

Mrs Myrtleberry's Roast
Mel of Veganise This
Melbourne, Australia

Mel gamely set about veganising a Celia Brooks nut roast named after a B&B owner. Sounds like a place I would love to stay on holiday. The nut roast has cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans and pine nuts, as well as tomato passata, brown rice and sage. Mel used flax and cheezly to replace the eggs and cheese. She found it quite soft but tasty and has enjoyed lots of nut roast sandwiches while experimenting.

Cheesy Nut Roast
Cakelaw of Laws of the Kitchen
Melbourne, Australia

Cakelaw tried a gluten free nut roast from my blog with vegetables, nuts, cheese and rice. I was delighted that she enjoyed her first foray into the wonderful world of nut roasts. She found it quite filling and a healthy alternative to meat.

Carrot Pecan Nut Roast
Ricki of Diet, Dessert and Dogs
Toronto, Canada

Ricki made a vegan and gluten free loaf inspired by her hero (and mine) Mollie Katzen. It was made with carrots, pecans, flaxseeds and used gluten free cracker crumbs to firm it up. She flavoured it with garlic, dill and parsley. I loved her observation that its golden hue reminded her of the royal wedding.

Easy Peasy Nut Roast
Torwen of Torwen's Blog
Reading, UK

Torwen shares my love of nut roasts and demonstrates that they are not just for winter, with his great summer take on the loaf. He was inspired by poppy seed encrusted pea burgers to make a glorious green nut roast filled with peas. It was a simple vegan gluten free recipe with cashews and brazil nuts, onion and garlic being the other ingredients. Easy peasy indeed!

Nut Roast with Za’atar
Vanessa of Sweet Artichoke
Switzerland

Vanessa made her first nut roast for this event and was very pleased with discovering how good they taste. I found her discussion of the French approach to nut roast fascinating. Finally she settled on a nut roast flavoured with za'atar, a middle eastern spice mix. It also had almonds, cashews, walnuts and red lentils. Sounds delicious.

Well that's all folks. If I have missed your nut roast, just let me know. Thanks again to everyone who joined in and to others who gave me their support in holding the event.

Update: I originally posted this round up on Thursday 12 May.  I avoided posting it on Friday 13th due to a superstitious inkling.  Then on Friday 13th, it was taken down as part of Blogger maintenance (oh the irony!) and two days later is still not restored (nor are a few lost comments) so I have reposted it

8 comments:

  1. Darn blogger! Well, nice to see all the nutroasts again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for holding the event Johanna. It was nice to read about all of the different nut roasts and be part of the nut roast fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased to see them up. Yet sorry that i missed to enter your Nutroast challenge, but can oggle over them.

    By the way how did you manage to repost it for Thursday, I made a change to my banoffee curd post (a bit like your italic notes, and its got reposted to Saturday).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to this post, and it doesn't disappoint! :) We made our first nut roast a while back encouraged by your previous event, and it's time to try a different one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so many delicious nut roasts to try. As a fellow fan I am salivating now and wishing I had one of them - any of them for dinner tonight. As long as they were served with your mushroom whisky gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I for one am delighted you needed to repost the nut roast round-up. (sorry for you though:( I'm really beginning to catch the nut roast excitement especially with a round-up like this!!! Very cool...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Johanna...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ricki - sorry your first comment got eaten by blogger - nice of you to come back

    Thanks Mel - glad you could take part

    Thanks Mangocheeks - I use the schedule posts time to repost this for Thursday - I like to keep it in its right place - and often write up drafts earlier and then schedule the time to post it when I finish it rather than when I started the draft. Enjoy oggling

    Thanks Lesley - lovely to hear you take some inspiration from the events - this is definitely a whole new swag of nut roast ideas for you

    Thanks Choclette - we all need more nut roasts in our life, don't we :-)

    Thanks Louise - nut roast excitment is a wonderful thing - great to have and great to share

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yumm what a lovely collection of nut roasts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)