Saturday 18 July 2015

Chocolate apple pikelets with blueberry sauce

It was the morning after our Christmas in July dinner.  I was finely grating apple for pikelets for breakfast and it was taking forever.  Sylvia was so hungry she was eating the apple peel.  She was playing houses and waiting for the bus (that would be me).  I was taking so long that she made an announcement that the bus was delayed.  I think this is a sign that even the kids have noticed that the public transport system is in disarray.  And that I need to buy a better grater because I want to make lots more of these pikelets.

I had been after something really simple because I was still tired after our big meal the day before.  These apple pikelets seemed to fit the bill.  Then I made them complicated.  It struck me that I could add some chocolate spread and a blueberry sauce to make them perfect to send to Choclette for her We Should Cocoa event which has blueberries as the theme this month.

I really like Choclette's monthly event and had been thinking of what I could make to combine chocolate and blueberries.  Decadent cheesecakes and layer cakes aren't my thing.  And I have already combined these flavours in cake, scones and cake pops.  Thank goodness for pancakes and pikelets.

These pikelets were a fairly healthy sort of snack low in refined sugar.  Though I say this warily as I have been reading lately about the low sugar myth.  And despite my love of chocolate, I will probably try these pikelets without the chocolate and apple sauce some time.

After breakfast we had a quiet day at home.  Sylvia curled up in her little 'house' in the corner of the loungeroom and found a children's baking cookbook that a friend had given her for her birthday years ago.  She now can read well enough to flick through the book and tell me all the things she wants to bake.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it!

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Cuban Beer-Infused Black Beans
Two year ago: French lavender salt recipe
Three years ago: Irish No Knead Bread
Four years ago: Mulled wine and chocolate cake
Five years ago: Rhubarb and apple sponge pudding
Six years ago: Sour Skon
Seven years ago: Pumpkin, PC Stories and a Roast
Eight years ago: Full Moon Cupcakes

Chocolate apple pikelets with blueberry sauce
Adapted from Kid Magazine
Makes about 15 pikelets

1 cup self-raising flour
2 red apples, peeled and finely grated
2 tbsp chocolate spread
scant 1/2 cup milk
1 egg
butter or margarine to grease the frypan

Blueberry sauce:
125g blueberries
drizzle of maple syrup

Vanilla yoghurt to serve

To make the blueberry sauce, place blueberries and maple syrup in a small saucepan.  Simmer until blueberries are soft and syrupy.  Set aside to cool while you make the pikelets.

Mix flour, and apple in a medium mixing bowl.  Place the chocolate spread in the bottom of a small measuring jug and fill up to 1/2 cup with milk.  Stir the chocolate spread into the milk until combined.  Stir in the egg.  Pour the chocolate mixture into the apple and flour mixture.

Heat a frypan over medium heat and lightly grease with butter.  Drop dessertspoons of mixture onto the frypan.  Cook for a minute or so until a few bubbles appear and the mixture dries slightly.  Flip and cook until golden brown on both sides.  (I had to flip mine more than once on the first lot of pikelets).  Continue to cook pikelets until all the mixture is used.

Serve pikelets with blueberry sauce and vanilla yoghurt.

On the Stereo:
High Violet: The National

16 comments:

  1. I like the image of Sylvia curled up looking through her cook book :-) I also very much like the sound of these - you know my love of pikelets and apple ones are high on my favourites short-list. Blueberries and chocolate are always welcome in my life too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I thought it was really cute that she was looking at recipes - am sure you would enjoy these pikelets and that they would veganise easily

      Delete
  2. I would have been happy to wait for the bus to arrive with these wonderful apple pikelets. I'm lying in bed on a Sunday morning feeling guilty I'm not in the kitchen whipping up something like this for my little guy. And thanks for kind words regarding my run-in with Basil Fawlty. Yes, I have put in a complaint to Stayz and they have got back to me requesting I put in a review. Most definitely will! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I think you probably deserved a little time to lie in bed - esp after Basil Fawlty gave you so much grief - hope that Stayz acts on your complaint and changes its information

      Delete
  3. I love grated apple in pancakes and pikelets! I often put walnuts in mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy - I think a few walnuts scattered over these would be great - sylvia is against bits at the moment but I think they would be brilliant in these

      Delete
  4. These little pikelets are so cute! They look delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - yep, pikelets are cute and little

      Delete
  5. wow they look delicious and I love the dark glossy blueberries on top. Not had pikelets for years! We always used to toast leftover ones in the toaster the next day and smother them in butter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I would not be confident about pikelets being toasted in our pop up toaster - would worry I would spend 10 minutes prising it out when it refused to pop up - but I love the idea of it :-) And we usually had butter on pikelets when I was young so I sometimes eat them this way for nostalgic value

      Delete
  6. Sounds like these were worth the effort!! And the wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I used to eat the apple peels when my mum was making crumble - I always loved the sourness of them and the fact that they made such long ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - I sometimes eat apple peels when doing this sort of thing - love it most if I manage to peel an apple in one long strip

      Delete
  8. Ooh Johanna, you are a genius. I've made apple pancakes in the past with grated apple and really enjoyed them. But until I read your post, I'd completely forgotten about it. Sorry the blueberry sauce and chocolate spread didn't enhance your enjoyment, but they look pretty tasty to me. Thanks for being such a warm supporter of We Should Cocoa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your Christmas in July celebration - I think I should start up a tradition of my own like that next year =) I'll add this to the menu!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)