Thursday 23 July 2015

Catch up eating out 2014-2015

It is an embarrassingly long time since I last shared a catch up of random photos of cafes for which I haven't had time to write a full post.  It seems my computer is full up with photos so it seems a good opportunity to dig deep into the shadows (and my memory) and bring some of these old photos into the light. 

These cafes are either places I wanted more visits before I write about it, places I have already written about or places for which I didn't have much information or time for a full post. 

It is so long since I did a catch up that this meal from the Cornershop (9 Ballarat St, Yarraville) was from summer in 2013-2014.  I quite liked the zucchini and mint fritters with cumin yoghurt, sumac and pinenuts.  Sylvia had hand cut potato chips which were really good.  It was a really lovely space to eat in but my memories are a bit blurry.

I love visiting bakeries and have so many photos that here is a collage of some of the great baking I have been eating. 
  • Far left and far right middle: The chocolate muffin from Green Refectory Cafe (Sydney Rd Brunswick) was amazingly good and I also really liked the pie but can't find any notes of what was in it.  
  • Middle top: Yummy tofu and pumpkin pie from Melbourne University food cooperative.
  • Middle bottom: Vanilla slice from O'Hea's Bakery (203-205 O'Hea St, Coburg).  I have friends who swear this is the best vanilla slice.  It was a bit rich for me but pretty good.
  • Far right top: Pumpkin and polenta muffin from Sugardough (Lygon Street, Brunswick).  I just love their savoury muffins either on the go or in the cafe with a good book.
  • Far right bottom: Cheese, spinach and sundried tomato muffin with pepper from Dench Bakery (109 Scotchmer St, Fitzroy North).  Another delicious savoury muffin. 

This mint and chocolate ice cream from Brunettis (Lygon St, Carlton) was enjoyed in summer,  That seems a long long time ago.  If memory serves me right, it was actually for Sylvia but I can't remember the occasion.

A recent meal was this cauliflower. tomato and mushroom soup at the Brunswick Flour Mill (341 Sydney Rd., Brunswick).  I really liked the wooden table and chairs with old advertisements on the walls.  This cafe has lots of bakery pies and cakes as well as a cafe menu.  I really loved this soup and would return to try other food.

I went to a birthday dinner at the Clarendon Hotel (378 Latrobe Terrace, Newtown) in Geelong back in 2014.  I enjoyed the vegetarian lasagna and the golden chips but it was your average pub grub rather than anything fancy.  It was a dark cold night and we were glad the kids could play in the indoor area and there was lots of room for us to sit.  However we had a long wait for dinner and I was surprised to find some of the kids has to wait ages, which meant tears and meltdowns. 

I went to New Day Rising (221D Blyth St, Brunswick East) recently for another of their amazing CLTs.  For the uninitiated, that is the coconut bacon, lettuce and tomato bagels.  It is such a cute tiny cafe and I enjoyed reading a magazine and gazing out the window while I ate but first I had to find a place to get cash because there is no EFTPOS or credit cards accepted there.

One of our regular places to see movies is the Cinema Nova.  Quite some time ago, E and I had a meal at the Cinema Nova Bar (380 Lygon Street, Carlton) before a movie.  I had the pizza with tomato and basil sauces.  I liked it but found that this criss cross of sauces looked good but was a bit much sauce for me.  The menu seemed quite snacky but upon checking the recent menu I would like to try it again because there are quite a few vegetarian options and it is so convenient.

Another long ago meal that has almost receded in the mists of time is this pumpkin soup at a cute little cafe in the city called Le Petite Bourke. It was ok but pretty light for lunch, even with a bread roll.  Sylvia had a croissant with cheese.  As I remember the vegetarian options were not extensive but I think the menu was fairly small anyway. 

On another trip to Cinema Nova, we had dinner at Sea Salt (364 Lygon St, Carlton) before the movie. While this is fancier than the traditional fish and chip shop, I like that there is the option of burgers and sushi for vegetarians.  I had a vegetarian burger with chips and it was great.  This was back in summer when we could sit outside on a balmy evening and chat to other people at the communal table.

When the Emporium shopping centre opened in the CBD last year, E, Sylvia and I went to the food hall for lunch after a movie.  Because the centre was so new, a stall was giving away free green tea ice cream.  I can't remember where it was but the ice cream was really good and the colour was amazing.

I had the superfood salad at Miss Marmalade (126 Union St, Brunswick) when I had lunch there with my mum last August.  This is the time of year when I feel the lack of seasonal fresh fruit and vegies.  So I really loved this fresh hearty healthy salad of quinoa, lentils, barley, greens, almonds on yoghurt flatbread with harissa, truffle pecorino, white bean hummus and pomegranate.  It is a really beautiful cafe and I was surprised to see that the back room was very child friendly with books and toys.

We haven't been to Batman Market (Gafney St, Coburg) for ages but last year we went there and I really enjoyed the broad bean pea arancini with cabbage salad.  Meanwhile Sylvia and E were more excited to eat a cronut.  We must go back and check how the market is going.

I am always on the look out for a good vegetarian pho.  This one at CERES Merri Table Cafe (East Brunswick) was nice but quite light on vegies. I had been tossing up between the pho and the zucchini fritter sandwich.  I recently tried the sandwich and it was not that impressive.  However other foods that people around me have had there recently such as roast potatoes and Dr Marty's crumpets have been really good.  I also really like their little sweet snacks for kids such as the chocolate covered dried banana that Sylvia enjoyed.  However I prefer a pie at the market cafe and I long for them to open the cafe by the old train that closed over a year ago for refurbishment.

Lastly I was really impressed by this pancake about a year ago at what I thought was from St Ali North (815 Nicholson St, Carlton North).  I had gone to meet a friend and found I got my times confused so instead I went to read the paper and enjoy these pancakes with rhubarb, meringues, and pistachio.  (I didn't take notes of the actual name).  However when I thought about returning there another time it was named Green Park.  

So maybe others don't have the chance to eat this lovely pancake again.  However it was so pretty and delicious that I still want to share.  And note in the photo that at the time, The Age newspaper was featuring the shame of our refugee situation.  It seems that things have only got worse since then.  But politics aside, I am truly spoiled to live in a town that offers so much good food that I can't keep up with the places I visit.

NOTE: there aren't many vegan meals here as they were featured in my Vegan eating out in Melbourne post late last year.  I also have other places that I am still hoping to find time to write about!

16 comments:

  1. Lots of great sounding places there, I also have to get back to the market but on the days I check to see if Dr Marty's crumpets are there, or 5 & Dime Bagels, it's a day I can't make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - we really need to get back to the Batman Market - do they have crumpets and bagels - I have only seen them at Coburg Farmers Market but haven't been to either market for ages - saturday morning sport is just not sympathetic to markets

      Delete
  2. Nice catchup! Love the green tea ice cream, looks so inviting!!

    Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie and Alesah - the green tea ice cream was great though I don't think I got much of it :-)

      Delete
  3. Yummo!!! I want to try all of those places and eat all of the food!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting these peeks into what you've been eating!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very full catch up! I'm impressed. Miss Marmalade sounds particularly good and that green tea ice cream is amazingly green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I really loved the Miss Marmalade salad - must write more about the place one day. And I did wonder if there is food colour in the green tea ice cream because the colour is so vibrant

      Delete
  6. I've been to quite a few cafes lately where you find out when you go to pay the bill that they now only take cash! The ice creams look really good. I've never heard of coconut bacon! Must look out for it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I hate finding that a cafe only takes cash when I have eaten up and am low on change - and even finding out when you are wanting a quick lunch and have to rush off elsewhere before eating is a nuisance. I make coconut bacon occasionally and it is great - we sometimes just eat it as snack food - http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/ww-coconut-bacon.html

      Delete
  7. You have been to many great places. Thank you for the post, it's always interesting to see eateries of all sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much great food in one post Johanna! I get dismayed when I have something great and they discontinue it. I just want everyone to try it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - yes I hate it when I have something amazing and it is a special so I can't recommend it to others - though some specials then become regular dishes once tested and loved

      Delete
  9. i really enjoyed reading this, I very much miss the Melbourne food scene!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! All of the food looks so fun. I love your random pics.
    The chocolate muffin from Green Refectory Cafe - OMG.
    And lasagna and chips is a perfect combo - why have I not thought of that?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)