Friday 21 August 2015

Cocoa bites

These cocoa bites were made on a day when I felt like baking but wanted quick results, I wanted chocolate but not too unhealthy, I wanted to snack but in a sensible way.  So I made these cocoa bites that are packed with good stuff.  They are the sort of snack you feel ok feeding to little girls who have just been to netball practice or having before doing a body balance class at the gym.

I made these in my high powered blender rather than a food processor.  They were really good but in a nut butter sort of way rather than finely chopped nuts because I think I got a little enthusiastic with the blender. So they were soft and fudgy, sweet but not overly so, and easy to take about with me.  Maybe not too different from a whole lot of energy balls I have blogged here but I think they were exactly what I needed.

I am sending these cocoa bites to Healthy Vegan Fridays #61 and Gluten Free Fridays #156

More energy balls at Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Almond, date and cranberry truffles (gf, v)
Almond energy snacks (v)
Chocolate almond and coconut balls (gf, v)
Chocolate bliss balls with banana and oats (v)
Dried fruit and coconut balls (gf, v)
Wattleseed cashew truffles (gf, v)

Cocoa Bites
From 86 lemons
Makes about 24 small balls

1 cup dates
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup dried unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
1 tbsp flax seeds (linseeds)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Soak dates in hot water for 10 minutes.  In a high speed blender (or your food processor), blend nuts until ground.  Add coconut, cocoa, seeds, agave and vanilla and continue to blend.  Add drained dates.  Roll mixture into balls.

On the stereo:
Tales of a Librarian: Tori Amos

17 comments:

  1. These look lovely, will have a go later xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look wonderful. I am craving chocolate and bites are so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah - this was an easy way to deal with chocolate cravings

      Delete
  3. I've been making similar energy balls on and off the past few months, know what you mean by wanting a little choc, but not too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I think I need to make them a little more over the next few months

      Delete
  4. These are a really good snack and I could really use something like this when I sit on the side of the pool watching the little guy swim for 90-minutes four times a week. I get so bored and hungry! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - you will need something easy to make if you spend that amount of time at the pool - I think I would be taking a snack and some reading to catch up on!

      Delete
  5. It's fantastic when you get to satisfy an urge and these look good. I had some bliss balls yesterday and they were really soft and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I still really love the chocolate bliss balls I got from your blog but Sylvia keeps eating those bananas!!!!

      Delete
  6. I end up eating too many of those, despite trying to pace myself! Tales of a Librarian! I must listen to that again soon (love all the outfits in the CD booklet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - I must check out the booklet - E got it second hand recently so I haven't looked at it much

      Delete
  7. I have those days quite a lot, where I want baking without baking and chocolate without too much excess :P These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it is hard to hit the right spot - too much temptation and too many options makes it hard to hone in on one recipe

      Delete
  8. Mmmm I love chocolate date balls. And calling them Cocao Bites make them sound so much cuter. I like the addition of flax and chia seeds - sounds like the perfect post-workout snack.
    Thanks for sharing this at HVF Johanna - I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)