Friday 10 May 2013

WW Vegan chocolate tart

So this year I lacked the energy for a fancy pants novelty cake for E's birthday.  Yet baking a Victoria Sponge Cake for a family lunch presented very little challenge or difficulty.  I had a little energy over.  And there was no chocolate offering.  I decided it was a birthday.  I could be indulgent.  I even kidded myself that it would cater for the celiacs.  But really I was just making a chocolate tart that I had wanted to make for ages and ages.  It was every bit as good as Pinterest promised.

It is not a difficult tart to make.  I decided to make it that morning and used what was in my kitchen.  It involves a little melting, a little blending.  Press, stir and allow a little time in the fridge or freezer and there you have it.  I was a little nervous at taking it in the car to Geelong.  I put it in the freezer before I left so it kept its shape.

I used my new 6 inch springform tin.  We always have lots of food at family gatherings so I thought it best to keep it small.  The tin has rather a large lip around the base.  This looked rather odd with such a flat tart.  I suspect I would have been better off to carefully transfer it to a plate.  As I have said before, presentation is not my forte.

The base started as a Martha Stewart coconut base.  Then I found the coconut and butter had to be baked.  I had no time for cooling it down.  So I winged it and added a bit of almond and a bit of sweetener.

The filling was from Chocolate Covered Katie.  It was mainly melted chocolate and silken tofu.  I enjoyed the base but the filling was divine.  It was so silky soft that it melted in the mouth.

What did everyone else think?  Andy thought the base needed to be crispier, possibly baked.  My mum, Susie and E all thought it was rather rich and would be nice with a dollop of cream.  My niece Quin agreed with me that it was perfect just as it was.  (Obviously she has good taste!)

Despite being rather rich, it was lighter than a traditional dairy based ganache filling.  I'd like to experiment with the Martha Stewart crispy coconut base or even Janet's raw date-nut-cocoa base.  Actually I'd love any excuse to make this again.  It really was amazing.

I am sending this to Ricki for her weekly Wellness Weekends event, and wishing her good health.  Also a big thank you to Cass for the Best Moments Award (will write more about this later).

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Hotel Windsor - an elegant high tea
Two years ago:  CC Crunchy Salad, Tofu Nuggets and Sylvia
Three years ago: The case of the disappearing tart
Four years ago: PPN Cavolo Nero and Chickpea Pasta
Five years ago: Creamy Green Lasagne for Beautiful Bones

Vegan Chocolate Tart
Filling adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
serves 10-12

base:
2 tbsp margarine (or coconut butter)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup coconut
2 tsp coconut sugar

filling:
150 silken or firm tofu (I used silken)
2 tablespoons coconut milk (or other milk)
1 tsp cocoa
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch salt
150g dark chocolate (I used 45% but would prefer 70% though it might require sweetener)

To make the base, melt margarine in a small heatproof bowl in the microwave (or in a small saucepan on the stovetop).  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Press into the base of a round 6 inch springform tin.  (I don't think I bothered to grease it.)

Melt the chocolate.  You can now blend it with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or blender.  But I chose to blend the tofu, coconut milk, cocoa, vanilla and salt in my little attachment for my hand held blender and then to stir this into a small bowl of melted chocolate.  Pour filling into springform tin on top of the filling.

Chill the tart to firm it up.  I set mine in the freezer for an hour or two because I wanted to take it in the car.  After that it was kept in the fridge because it became quite soft when out of the fridge for a while.  When soft it is delicious to eat but difficult to cut.

On the Stereo:
The Amber Gathers: Alasdair Roberts

17 comments:

  1. Yum! The filling is similar to my Almost Guiltless Chocolate Mousse Pie.. it has never disappointed me. Glad you liked it as much as me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - yes it seems to be filling from the same recipe but I made a smaller filling - probably just as well given comments on how rich it was - I see your filling looks firmer than mine and so does katie's - mine used a soft silken tofu but sounds like you can use any tofu so much experiment

      Delete
  2. This tart looks so deliciously decadent! A perfect birthday treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - it tastes decadent but it wasn't too unhealthy as far as desserts go - chocolate is good for you, right?

      Delete
  3. I've never had silken tofu but I love the sound of it, particularly blended with chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - I find silken tofu odd because it is so soft but it works well as a substitute for cream in this sort of dish

      Delete
  4. this tart looks divine and totally decadent! i've never been a tofu fan, but i'm guessing you don't taste it with the chocolate and coconut (i hope!). i can't wait to make this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ejelassi - no you don't taste the tofu with all that chocolate - hope you enjoy it

      Delete
  5. I think it looks perfect just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been on my 'to make' list for ages too :) I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for showing us that it does turn out well. I haven't made many tofu desserts but think I'll have to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - silken tofu works particularly well with making creamy desserts - I have used it in mousse but wanted to try a tart like this for ages and love it

      Delete
  7. Okay, so this is a chocolate dessert that I'd not only try but ask for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - I would of course be pleased to serve a piece to you :-)

      Delete
  8. You are so welcome! This looks so incredible. I love having another great vcgan recipe under my belt and you are the best at sweets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cass - very kind - hope you love this recipe

      Delete
  9. this looks SO good, going make this during the weekend ! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)