Tuesday 27 November 2012

Dublin streets and miscellany

Last night we arrived in Edinburgh after a couple of wonderful days in Dublin.  Having Irish ancestors and siblings who lived in Dublin, I had visited the fair city on many occasions.  However it has been quite some years since we were there last.  Being back made us wonder why we had left it so long to return.  A charming welcoming city of elegant Georgian buildings, it is easy to see why my sister has made it her home town.

I am planning to write a few posts about Dublin but for now, I will start with some photos I took on the streets and some miscellany.  Above is our first meal in Dublin.  My sister Chris and her partner Fergal were wonderful hosts.  They picked us up at the airport and fed us freshly baked scones, then fed us Ottelenghi's potato and goats cheese tart tatin with chickpeas and roasted sweet potato on the side.  How good was that after 24 hours on a plane eating food of dubious quality!

The next morning we were still on jetlag time and were up before the sun.  All the better to admire the Christmas lights.

We had already planned breakfast with Chris but had a first breakfast at Centra (think 7/11, Spar, or your corner shop or convenience store).  I had a chocolate pastry while reading Jamie Oliver's potato recipes in the Daily Mail newspaper.  It wasn't fancy but jetlag makes you do strange things!

When it was light we ventured out again and admired the Christmas displays in Dublin's streets. I think I am right in saying that Butlers are well known for their fine chocolates throughout Ireland.

I loved the Irish take on the traditional gingerbread house with a wee leprechaun outside it.  I guess this is where he keeps his pot of gold.

Brown Thomas in Grafton Street has a quirky mix of traditional Christmas and snooty fashion in their windows.  I liked the snowman and the dummies.  My sister was amused by the dummy having a sleighride in another window.

Just to remind you that not everything in Dublin is gorgeous to look at, I took a photo of this tasteless snowman.  Fortunately for you I don't post videos to this blog or you might have been treated to a video of the snowman doing his dance.  Moving right along!

We also saw signs of Dublin hipsters in the streets.  Here is a sweet poster we spied on a walk early yesterday.

If I had had lots of time to take photos with my zoom lens I might have taken a better photo of these traditional Dublin street lamps.  Alas, this was the best photo I could do.  It will do.  I love the beautiful design on these lamp posts but even more I love them because they remind me of my excitement at being in Dublin many years ago.  (Actually I didn't love Dublin at first sight but I did love these street lamps.)

The Irish Parliament building with no windows (to avoid window taxes) also reminds me of lots of previous visits and tours I have done.  An iconic image in Dublin.  I will write more about the places we went in another post.

Time to leave you as the day is beginning in Edinburgh and we have things to do and people to see.  I will leave you with a glimpse of some of the goodies we took away with us. 

16 comments:

  1. Welcome home ;0)
    I've been to Dublin a couple of times and it is a lovely city, it looks especially lovely in your photos with all the Christmas lights and display's. Almost makes Christmas in this hemisphere worthwhile lol.
    Can't wait to see you on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chele - looking forward to meeting you too - and I think Christmas in the northern hemisphere has to be great to make you forget about the cold weather :-)

      Delete
  2. I've never been to Dublin but it looks beautiful. That chocolate pastry looks yummy and I'm intreguied by the Irish honey chocolate pictured above. Let us know how it tastes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - highly recommend a visit to Dublin if you get a chance - haven't started the honey chocolate yet but will try and report back when I do

      Delete
  3. I've reviewed that gin and tonic chocolate!! Dublin looks well worth a visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - great to see your review - I will not taste it as it is a present so enjoyed a little virtual taste :-)

      Delete
  4. Eee! I am so thrilled that are finally off - I was wondering when you were leaving but hadn't realised that I'd missed your departure. I loved this post Johanna, all the more because I have never been to Dublin (any of Ireland). It sounds like you had a lovely arrival and I'm sure it was great to see your sister again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *you* are finally off...

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kari - I scheduled a few posts for when we were leaving to take the pressure off blogging - though now I have so much to blog about Dublin and trying to get this done so I can blog about scotland

      Delete
  5. How wonderful! Glad you are enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how crazy these family visits are, trying to fit everyone so I won't pester you for a meetup... but if you need cake I can thoroughly recommend Lovecrumbs - http://www.lovecrumbs.co.uk/ Proper good cake and lovely coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna - it is a crazy visit when you know people and places but hope to meet up and to get to lovecrumbs

      Delete
  7. Hope you all enjoy your trip! I'll enjoy reading about it and looking at your photos. I would love to travel to Ireland and the rest of the UK one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - happy to share a bit of travel with you for some - hope you do get over this way some day - it is full of wonderful places and sights

      Delete
  8. Welcome home, Johanna! It's easy to see from your pictures that you had a great time in Dublin and that you also tasted our best food! ... After all, that's what Christmas is about! ;) Don't miss the chance to come back next year for the Gathering, the biggest Irish reunion ever! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)