Friday 9 December 2011

PPN Panfried Gnocchi with Cauliflower and Peas

Sylvia has wanted some gnocchi in the supermarket.  We rarely have gnocchi - from the supermarket or made by my own hand.  I put it in the trolley anyway.  It sat in the fridge until a hot day when I was low on energy.  Pan fried gnocchi seemed the answer.  I three in some vegies that needed to be used, some parmesan cheese and a generous glug of oil.

It was lovely.  Not perfect.  Yet great comfort food.  My problem was that it was too savoury.  It needed some sweetness to balance the flavours.  I think it would be great with roast pumpkin.  I even wished I had remembered the half jar of roasted red peppers in my fridge.  Or a salad with a sweetish dressing.   Or even lemon juice.  Maybe it would have been better if I had had more peas, or if less of them had gone into Dolly's bowl.  At least I had willing helpers.  We served the gnocchi with corn on the cob.  Ironically Sylvia was not a fan of the gnocchi.

It surprises me just how chewy that gnocchi was - pleasingly so.  Less surprising is Nigella claiming she could simulate roast potatoes by pan frying gnocchi.  I didn't take much notice of timing or rigorously measure ingredients but I think it took about 45 minutes all up.  Below is what I did.

I am sending the pasta sauce to Rachel of The Crispy Cook for Presto Pasta Nights #244, the weekly pasta event coordinated by Ruth of Once Upon a Feast.

Other blogger recipes for ready made gnocchi:

Panfried Gnocchi with Cauliflower and Peas
serves 3-4

olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cauliflower, cut into small florets
pinch salt
pinch smoked salt
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
couple of handfuls of fresh peas, podded (or more)
1 packet ready made gnocchi (enough to serve 4)
1 tomato, chopped
2-4 tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated
freshly ground black pepper

Heat a glug or two of olive oil in a large frypan.  Fry onion for 5-10 minutes until softened while you chop the cauliflower.  Add the cauliflower and the salts (and another glug of oil if needed).  Cook for another perhaps 20-30 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.  Add peas and garlic.  cook for a couple of minutes.  Add gnocchi with another glug of oil and cook for another 5-15 minutes until gnocchi is a little crispy and soft inside.  The onion should be well browned and caramelised by now.  Turn off the heat and stir through the parmesan and tomato.  Serve with extra parmesan and freshly ground black pepper if desired.

On the Stereo:
Ultra Lounge Christmas Cocktails: Various Artists

19 comments:

  1. Sylvia and I must be on the same wavelength because now I'm craving gnocchi also! I love that you threw cauliflower into the mix. It's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Thanks for sending over a plate to Presto Pasta Nights this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this brings back a memory of one of the best meals we had in our 6 months stint in Australia. it was at a place in St Kilda, Melbourne. The gnocchi I had there was the best ever, although I can no longer remember the details (it was quite a long time ago now)!

    So sorry for not commenting on your blog much recently. I've been really busy over the last few weels and have had limited time for visiting. Hopefully I shall start catching up after Christmas. Thank you for all your comments, they are always much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god you sometimes use things from the supermarket! I feel like less of a failure at life now :P Looks wonderful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely have gnocchi either - I'm not usually a big fan - but I like the way you've done this. And it certainly is a good 'go to' option when short on time. I often wish I was a bigger fan of gnocchi and pasta for precisely that reason - they are quick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks perfect Johanna. I really want to dig in. I don't think gnocchi has ever looked so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gnocchi - that sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pre-made pastas are very handy to have on those low-energy days. They lend themselves to so many variations and can fill hungry teenaged stomachs quite quickly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excuse me for entering here. I saw your comment on Caked Crusader, and thought I'd drop by.
    My interests are books and cake, in that order. I notice your top book is one I have just written about on my blog, and would very much welcome to hear why you love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum - I know I would really, really like this dish. Actually, I have never tried actually pan frying gnocchi (only ever boiled them), but I totally want to try this. I can imagine how good this is with lovely pan roasted cauliflower and parmesan, but I can also imagine roasted peppers being a great addition.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Joanne - love cauliflower - especially when fried or roasted to have nice crispy edges - now if only you could just throw gnocchi in your mum's supermarket trolley like sylvia! (though I am sure you wouldn't them reject it like sylvia)

    Thanks Rachel - was pleased to get in another PPN entry for the last round up of the year

    Thanks Choclette - I've been racking my brains to think about if I have had pan fried gnocchi before - if so it is probably the sort of place you refer to - though not as memorable - nice to hear from you - best wishes for busy times

    Thanks Hannah - would you feel even better if I told you dinner tonight was a peanut butter sandwich - honestly it aint always gourmet at Chez GGG!

    Thanks Kari - I have moved away from gnocchi and pasta as a go-to option for lazy nights because I think I overdid them once upon a time but am finding new ways to enjoy them, like this one

    Thanks Jacqueline - not perfect but delicious

    Thanks Beth

    Thanks Rachel

    Thanks Amanda - I confess I was surprised at how moreish I found these - so much so that I am definitely going to explore a few variations

    Thanks Sue - I think I can find boiled gnocchi a bit gluggy - or maybe I should blame some mediocre gnocchi in restaurants recently - but pan fried it is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi sensibilia - have written a comment on your post about housekeeping - it was only after reading your post that I remembered that one of the main characters is called Sylvie - like my daughter - I really love Sylvie in the novel for her outsider perspective on society.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm how can gnocchi be too savoury? I looove pan fried gnocchi, best way to eat it for sure. Adding in pumpkin and roasted peppers would've been delicious though I'd be happy with just cauliflower and peas too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why, thank you, Johanna for coming back to my question so quickly! Thank you for giving me your perspective on the book. I did notice that your daughter had the same name!

    Yes, she is definitely an outsider. But it made me feel even more appreciative of my own clean bed and warm house on these winter nights in the northern hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a lovely way to spend an evening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it amazing how kids will crave something and then refuse to eat it. Some things never change... from my daughter to her son... same story applies.

    That said, the gnocchi look positively delicious. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Ashley - sometimes savoury needs a lift - like a touch of lemon juice or maple syrup - I think this is what it needed

    thanks Sensibilia - reading the book always makes me want to fill my house with stacks of old newspapers (but don't tell my mum who is on a mission to get rid of as many newspapers from my house as possible)

    Thanks Lisa - it was - if only it wasn't so cold

    Thanks Ruth - kids are fickle creatures but I live in hope :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love gnocchi--probably my favorite pasta--and sorely miss it. Your top photo has me drooling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)