Thursday 6 August 2009

Surprising Sprouts in Risotto

We eat Brussels Sprouts quite often in our house. E even encouraged me to serve a dish with them the other day and I commented on how he had changed since I met him. Back then, it was a family tradition for him and his dad to complain about the sprouts each Christmas. But he explained that he never had sprouts cooked like I do them. I microwave them so they are still a lovely green or roast them to bring out their lovely flavour.

Sprouts converts as we are, neither of us had ever had sprouts in a risotto until recently. I was making a feta and sweet potato risotto that was inspired by finding the term entered as a search item in my stats. Great combination, I thought, I might just try it. When I came to trying it, I planned to serve it with sprouts on the side. But then I thought, why not add them into the mix. And so I did.

A bold move, indeed, but one that paid dividends. I think they were better on the first night but still quite tasty with the leftovers the next night. This was a delicious risotto with lots of unusual flavours and textures. E particularly liked the walnuts. I was most impressed with the sprouts. I always like new ideas for getting green vegetables into my dinner so I will be trying this one again.

Sweet Potato, Brussels Sprouts and Feta Risotto
Serves 4

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tsp stock powder
350g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
oil spray
300g Brussels sprouts, shredded
1 extra tbsp olive oil
½ cup white wine
4-5 cups boiling water
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
100g feta, crumbled

Place sweet potato in large baking tray. Spray with oil and toss so chunks are evenly coated. Roast at 220 C for about 30 minutes or until just soft. Then add Brussels sprouts, 1 tablespoon oil and toss to mix. Roast for an additional 10 minutes or until sprouts are just cooked.

Heat oil and butter in large saucepan. Fry onion for about 5 minutes till soft but not browned. Add garlic and rice and stir for about 3 minutes. Pour in white wine and stir frequently till almost absorbed.

Meanwhile boil kettle. Add half a cup of boiling water and stock powder, keeping the mixture simmering (on about medium heat but fiddle with heat to keep at even simmer) and stirring frequently. Once most of the liquid is absorbed. Repeat with half cups of boiling water until rice is soft. This should take about 20-25 minutes.

When rice is soft, add lemon juice, sweet potato, sprouts and feta. Stir til combined and heat for a few minutes if roast veg have cooled. Serve with chopped nuts on top.

On the stereo:
Sylvia Suite from the Best of French Ballet by Delibes

9 comments:

  1. I used to hate sprout with passion but now I love them. Johanna, this recipe is gold. I am making some next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this idea - we have been enjoying shredded sprouts recently and i too am keen to look for opportunities to add green to our meals. can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anh - hope you enjoy

    Thanks Frances - shredded sprouts are great aren't they - I love them in stir frys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you took the plunge - nice crunchy sprouts are great, aren't they? We put them in stir fries too, and they're delicious there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great combination of flavours here! I do so like risottos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm what a delicious risotto! I keep wanting to buy brussel sprouts and roast them but whenever I remember to look for them they don't look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks lysy - sprouts are good in so many dishes

    thanks lisa - I love a good risotto too

    thanks ashley - sprouts are best in winter I think although now it is the end of winter here it is getting harder to find them small with the leaves tightly wrapped

    ReplyDelete
  8. This risotto looks delicious! I love sprouts and would have never thought to put them in risotto. We will definitley be trying this when it's cool enough to turn on the stove again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious Johanna - I've bookmarked it to make if my newly planted brussels seedlings ever amount to something edible. I imagine the sweet potato goes really well with the sprouts. I know you can fiddle with these things as you go along but I like that it already has a really good ratio of veggies to rice too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)