Tuesday 2 June 2009

Apricot Crumble: a moveable feast

We went to my sister’s house for dinner last week. I had said I would take dessert. At first I had thought I would take some baked goods because they are so transportable. But then I thought it would be nice to make something with fruit because it seemed healthier and lighter.

Flicking through recipes books I came across some recipes for crumble and decided to make one with tinned apricots. I headed to the supermarket mainly to buy a tin of apricots. Instead I ended up at the check out with a basket full of groceries but, as the cashier started to wand them through, I noticed there were no apricots. I ran off and grabbed a tin without much thought as to how much I needed.

At home I made the crumble and put the apricots into a baking dish. I was going to bake it before I left but Sylvia was quite unsettled so I put the crumble into a plastic tub and took it separately with the apricots. So serendipity showed me the ideal dessert to take to someone’s place - or for any moveable feast. Next time I will take the apricots in the tin and the crumble in a tub.

Francesca is always busy but still manages to be the consummate hostess. She offered dips and crudités when we arrived. For the main course she made ricotta and spinach triangles in puff pastry. They were perfect golden triangles and tasted excellent accompanied by salad and oven chips.

Once we had finished dinner, we set about assembling dessert. Before putting the crumble on the apricots we swithered about if we needed to drain the apricots. Fran decided we should ring mum. She said to drain them and in retrospect I am glad we took her advice.

The crumble was inspired by one in Vikki Leng’s Vegetarian Feast that had a cup of muesli in it. There was no muesli in the house so I just threw in some ingredients that seemed right for a warming wintery dessert. The crumble was a great success with hazelnuts and cranberries. I served it with my new favourite honey and cinnamon yoghurt. Fran’s partner John said you could eat this dish for breakfast. I agreed with him when I took the leftovers home and had them cold the next morning. Delicious!

Fran is living in a new house with a huge shiny new oven. I was a bit unsure about how long to bake the crumble because I am so used to my slow and doddery oven. So we were very cautious with time and kept only setting the timer for a short period. Hence the baking time is a bit of guesswork because I got so confused about how long it actually took. Her kitchen has fiercely bright down lights that are great for photographing food.

I have written before about my love for apricots and how as a child I always wished my mum used them instead of stewed apple in desserts. All this summer I meant to do an apricot crumble and am pleased I finally have. It is a shame I had to buy tinned apricots rather than stewing my own. Unfortunately in warm weather when they are in season I have a lot less inclination to eat apricots. But maybe one day I will get into the habit of stewing them for the cooler months. Having this wonderful crumble to look forward to will give me some motivation!

Apricot Crumble
(Inspired by Vicki Leng)
Serves 4-6

825g tin of apricots, drained
1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup wholemeal flour
¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped
¼ cup coconut
¼ cup cranberries, chopped
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
50 g butter (or margarine), chilled and chopped

Tip apricots into a greased baking dish (mine is about 22 x 22 cm). To make the crumble, place all remaining ingredients into a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the dry ingredients. Sprinkle this crumble mixture over the apricots and bake in a moderate oven for about 20-25 minutes or until crumble is golden brown and crisp.

On the stereo:
Ruby: The Killjoys

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious and isn't it funny how ideas just present themselves and problems solves themselves, especially in times of crisis. Where would we be without our mums to call too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great improvisation on the crumble. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fruit crumble, but have never had apricot the picture looks fab tho

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really lovely Johanna and I like the idea of muesli in the topping. You've got me thinking about which other tinned fruit would work as a crumble base. Hmmm, I will ponder on.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum - that sounds delicious. i love apricots and desserts too. also great with crumble mixture is that it freezes too - sometimes if we have been over enthusiasic with crumble making that means we can stash some of it in a little bag for next time. and now i have a great new recipe to try - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lorraine - my mum always is good with some advice - we are lucky to have her to depend on!

    Thanks Ashley - it is interesting where improvisation will take you

    Thanks Flower - you must try apricot crumble - it is so delicious

    Thanks C - I haven't used tinned fruit in crumble before but now am also wondering

    Thanks Frances - freezing crumble is a great idea - something for me to try

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)