Sunday 13 October 2024

Street Art in Melbourne city (CBD) 2021 with covid images


I decided to collate some old and new street art photos from the city today.  There were so many from this one bike ride back in mid April 2021 that they deserve their own post.  
 
It was a memorable day.  Back then we had survived our first long covid lockdown in Melbourne and still had restrictions.  Yet it was a moment of hope that we were dealing with covid well and would be ok.  It was before all the deaths, the ugly politics over vaccines, the peak of the terrible toll on the health system, and the minimising of covid by the mainstream that left many vulnerable people feeling left behind.
 
It was a day of rediscovering whimsy and fun in the lanes near Spencer Street but also finding politics in the street art, especially in a sobering photo exhibition of health care professionals with reflections that brought me back to reality of what we had been through.  The exhibition is long gone and I am not sure how many of the other artwork remains.
 
I am presenting the photos today with minimal text so that I can post them and go on my way with so many other things to do.  Other city street art photos will come soon, I hope!













There was very little street art in this lane but I loved that it was called Equitable Place/  It was near a lunch at Seedling that I wrote about in my April 2021 post.

This is the Information board on the Surge exhibition by Pheobe Powell and Kate Disher-Quill.  This outdoor exhibition was held on the hoardings around the construction site on the City Square on Collins Street where the new Town Hall Metro station is still being built.  The last photo gives a big picture of the site.  The reflective quotes in the artwork show the exhaustion and the hope that was about at the time.










More Melbourne city street art photos on Green Gourmet Giraffe blog:

1 comment:

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)