Sunday 23 April 2017

Cheese and parsley muffins (vegan option)

Lately I have enjoyed baking vegan muffins.  Sylvia on the other hand has been begging me to let her bake a favourite cheese and tomato muffin recipe that she made at her school kitchen garden program.  As I had not had eggs on hand, I told her we could make an eggless version.  Later when I had some vegan bio cheese on hand, I tried a completely vegan version and we all loved these just as much.

These muffins are so easy that even a child can make them.  Sylvia was keen to show me she could make them.  I mostly stood by.  She mostly needed help with putting them in the oven.  Once they were baking, I rushed off to meet a friend for brunch and left E to help her take them out of the oven.

As you can see, Sylvia preferred her muffins without the little cherry tomatoes on top.  I was pleased she was happy to still have parsley in them.  This cheesy version was a little crispy on top.  If I had been about I think I might have taken them out earlier than after 35 minutes.  But they were still delicious.  When I got home there weren't too many of them left.

Sylvia had insisted she use dairy cheese in her muffins.  Ironic as so often she does not want to eat cheese when I offer it.  She also wanted eggs in her muffins and when she stayed with my mum, she took along the school's recipe to make.  I didn't get a photo but they did look cute with cherry tomatoes on top.

A week later, I had biocheese in the fridge and decided to try them again as a totally vegan recipe.  Neither Sylvia or E noticed.  And they didn't mind when I told them they were vegan.  No one has a problem with good food.  I had thought they might be good to take to school and work for lunches but they just don't last that long. 

I am sending these muffins to Healthy Vegan Fridays #148.  This will be the last week of one of my favourite blog events..  It was started in 2012 by Carrie on Vegan (now Carrie on Living), Everyday Vegan Girl and Veggie Nook.  Since then it has hosted by a variety of bloggers including Green Thickies, Hello Veggy, Herbivore Triathlete, and Vegan Dollhouse.

Most recently it has been hosted by Kimmy of Rock My Vegan Socks, who has hosted for over 3 years, and Mary Ellen of VNutrition.  It has been a pleasure to get to know Kimmy and Mary Ellen.  However bloggers change and these lovely hosts have decided to hang up their boots and call it a day.  Many thanks to Kimmy and Mary Ellen for all the wonderful food they have shared; for their welcoming and generous spirits; and for all the time and work they have put into the event.  I will miss the event but hope to still keep in touch.



More cheesy vegan baking on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Buffalo cauliflower sourdough pizza with tofu blue cheese (v)
Cheeze crackers (v)
Sourdough polenta cheese bread (v)  
Sweet potato and cheeze scones (v)
Sweet potato, feta and sauerkraut muffins (v) 
Tofu feta, olive and sun-dried tomato muffins (v)

Cheese and parsley muffins
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe
Makes 12 muffins

1 cup white self raising flour
2/3 cup wholemeal plain flour
2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp baking powder
1-2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup soy milk
1/3 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 200 C and grease a 12 hole muffin tin.  Mix the flours, cheese, baking powder, parsley and salt in a medium large bowl.  Lightly whisk together milk and oil.  Pour into the flour mixture and gently mix until combined.  Spoon into muffin holes and smooth the tops a little (or you will get the rustic look).  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.   Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

On the Stereo: 
No Need to Argue: The Cranberries

11 comments:

  1. I am glad that Sylvia is enjoying baking. These muffins look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying your savoury muffins and this one is just as good as the others, i wish you had posted this recipe a few hours earlier as I would have made these to accompany a chunky soup that I made, but no worries, I will make it some other time. Love seeing Sylvia's little hands at work in the kitchen.

    Re Healthy Vegan Fridays, wow I did not know it was a long running blog challenge, I only got to know it with both Mary Ellen and Kimmy, who have been star hosts and I will miss this challenge lots as its the one I participated in the most and almost on a weekly basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vegan muffin making has never quite turned out as good as I hoped, but I remember making an acceptable sweetcorn and sundried tomato version. I need to give them another go! I love the parsley here, and I don't think they'd last long here either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love savoury muffins. I don't have vegan cheese (I think I've tried it once, it wasn't bad) but it's good that it can be made with either kind and with or without cherry tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savoury muffins are the best, and well done for making them vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look sooo good. I definitely going to try them. I wish I saw these before Easter - I would have totally made them for my family and they wouldn't have know they were vegan. Sylvia's idea to use a tomato on top is a good one, I'll definitely try that.

    And thank you so much for your kind words Johanna. I really appreciate it. Your recipes have always been so fun and delicious. I also always love your stories with Sylvia and how she helps you in the kitchen. I will definitely still keep in touch - it has been a pleasure to get to know you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, these muffins sound totally delicious. I may play around with a gluten free version (wish me luck haha!). I rarely make savoury muffins and I tend to forget how awesome they are. I actually prefer them over sweet ones as I find them more filling and satisfying.

    Oh thank you for the kind farewell to HVF. I may be getting a little teary-eyed over here (having a bit of an emotional week...). I appreciate you sharing so many of your wonderful creations with us and seeing HVF through the many hands of hostesses.
    You are one of my absolute favourite blogs to follow, so I know we will continue being good blogging buddies =)
    Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww...I loved my time working on HVF. I miss it (and you).

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound so good Johanna, and it's good to hear that your daughter is so keen on them with her wanting to make them again after preparing them in her school kitchen garden club.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll miss HVF too but will obviously still see your delicious recipes without it. These look like a great way to use up some of the parsley I have growing in the back garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Savoury muffins are always a treat. Parsley is a lovely addition with the cheese! Well done for making them vegan too xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)