Wednesday 29 March 2017

Vegan sweet potato, feta and sauerkraut muffins

I mentioned in my last post (about more savoury muffins) that I was struggling to find time to make these muffins.  Finally it seemed a crime to let my roasted sweet potato and tofu feta go rancid rather than star in these muffins.  So I made them between dinner and Sylvia's bed time.   And ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day.  If only there has been some leftover for supper!

It wasn't easy fitting them in.  I was busy with Sylvia, outside playing with her hula hoops, chatting to neighbours, and inspecting her scars from a fall at school.  Luckily they weren't too difficult to mix up and pop in the oven.  I just needed to take a couple of breaks from reading The Midnight Gang by David Walliams with Sylvia.  And then they were out in the oven wafting their tempting aromas through the kitchen.

The muffins were everything I had hoped.  Well almost.  They are not the bonniest muffins.  I discovered the hard way that the shape when they are spooned into muffins tins is the shape they keep.  (Would a little more liquid help smooth them out or make them soggy?)  But they were slightly crisp outside and soft inside.  I loved the pairing of sweet potato and sauerkraut.  The tofu feta added nice flavour and texture (more chewy than creamy).  I am really delighted to discover how good the sauerkraut is in the muffins.  It adds a certain umami.

They were easy to eat.  A great portable snack and lovely with stew and rice for dinner.  The only challenge left was photographing them.  I arrived home, after riding into a headwind, and took some hasty photos before E arrived home with Sylvia from after school care.  I had to be content to put the camera away as we rushed about to serve dinner.  And decide how to divvy up the last few muffins. 

I am sending these muffins to the No Waste Food Challenge at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.

More sweet potato recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Smoky lime peanut baked sweet potatoes (gf)
Sweet potato and cheeze scones (v)
Sweet potato and red lentil soup (gf, v)
Sweet potato soda bread
Sweet potato, zucchini and olive quesadillas (v) 
Vegan pate with sweet potato (gf, v)

Vegan sweet potato, feta and sauerkraut muffins
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe
Makes 12 muffins

Dry ingredients:
1 cup wholemeal plain flour
2/3 cup white plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
1 cup roasted cubed sweet potato*
3/4 cup tofu feta*
1/4 cup sauerkraut
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
3/4 cup cold water
1/3 cup olive oil 

Mix dry ingredients in a medium large mixing bowl. Toss through the sweet potato, feta, sauerkraut and parsley.  Gently stir in the water and oil.  Spoon into a greased 12 hole muffin pan and bake at 200 C for 25-30 minutes or until when you insert a skewer it comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

Notes:
I chopped 1 largish sweet potato into small cubes and roasted with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil until soft.  My tofu feta was a crumbly mixture in a marinade so I squeezed out as much liquid as possible. It was quite like this tofu feta recipe.

On the Stereo
Scott Walker sings Jacques Brel

6 comments:

  1. Win win! Easy to make, tasty and totally transportable. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some great flavours in these. I like sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think muffins are given character when they are messy and these sound really delicious - and must be if you ate them for 3 meals in a row! I'm glad you could squeeze them in between busy life requirements (and hope Sylvia's scars aren't serious).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh you are inventive Johanna! I love the sound of these, I just love everything in there, but it would never have occured to me to combine those ingredients together in a muffin! I bet they tasted divine!
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think those muffins look very bonny indeed and they sound just as good. I love when you make something that's so good you have to keep eating it meal after meal. And I love the use of sauerkraut too - I can't get enough of anything fermented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderfully creative recipe, and I love how you've described how it tastes. Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge, it's always lovely to have you on board. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)