Malt? I can see a few quizzical expressions! I initially dreamt up the theme thinking about my dad's favourite malted milkshakes and Australia's favourite chocolate malt drink called Milo. Or similar powders such as Horicks and Ovaltine. I even fancied lots of recipes featuring Maltesers (or Whoppers if you are in America). But the more I thought the more I started to see malt everywhere. In a bottle of single malt whiskey. In the malted glaze on bagels. In Rich Tea Biscuits and Malt o Milk biscuits. In malted grains in breads. In the malted barley in beer. Did you know that some gluten free beers use malted buckwheat! I even saw a vegan malted milk recipe featuring Maca powder.
Back in early twentieth century malt extract was given to working class kids in Britain to boost their health. When I was a child, a glass of milk loaded with Milo was my idea of decadence but now I find malt quite a comforting flavour. This month I challenge you to dream up fun ways to marry chocolate and malt. I look forward to lots more malty inspiration and I hope you will have fun.
How to get involved:
- Post your recipe on your blog.
- Mention “We Should Cocoa” in your post and link back to here on Green Gourmet Giraffe and to Tin and Thyme. Feel free to feature the above We Should Cocoa badge.
- Only one entry per blog and it must be posted in June 2016.
- Entries should either be emailed to me at gggiraffe07ATyahooDOTcomDOTau or pasted into a comment below. I will paste them into a list in the body of this post.
- Entries should be submitted no later than midnight on 28 June 2016.
- The round up of entries will be posted on my blog by the end of the month.
- Feel free to add your entry to the We Should Cocoa group board on Pinterest. If you are not already a member and would like to join, please ask Choclette.
- By linking up you are giving consent for your image to be included in the monthly round up as well as possibly being shared on social media channels such as Twitter and Pinterest.
The entries so far:
- Three ingredient Horlicks (malted milk powder) chocolate pots - Fuss Free Flavours
- Malted superfood bars with mango and coconut chocolate - Tin and Thyme
- Malted loaf with chocolate, fig and brazil nuts - Green Gourmet Giraffe
- Vegan oil-free chocolate malt cake - Veganopoulous
- Chocolate malt pie - Bite Sized Thoughts
- Rye rye whisky brownies - The VegHog
- Malted chocolate cake - Mainly Baking