Friday 3 February 2017

Chickpea tofu and pea curry

During the holidays, I found chickpea tofu in the supermarket and was curious.  Once I purchased it, I was unsure how to feature it.  A few weeks later I opened it to make this tofu and pea curry.  It stank.  At first I thought it might be off.  But I forged ahead and loved the curry.

We are very used to soy-based tofu in our house.  Sylvia often tries to swipe some of it while I cut it up to eat straight from the packet.  When she smelled the chickpea tofu, she turned up her nose and didn't want anything to do with it.  Given that the finished product was delicious, I wonder if the smell was just different to what we know.  The texture was also different.  Chickpea tofu was less rubbery and a bit more crumbly.  As it is the only packet I have tried, I really should buy it again to check it is the chickpea tofu characteristic and not just that batch.  Stay tuned!

I really loved this curry.  It reminded me of this spicy pea curry but I enjoyed the addition of tofu.  I am sure it would work with regular soy tofu as well as chickpea tofu.  The curry was very creamy and tasty.  I used less ginger, no pepper (I don't like too much spice), no bay leaf (I felt lazy), fried onion instead of raw (it was there), powdered garlic rather than fresh (as I had none).  The recipe below reflects what I would be most likely to do.

I served the curry with a lentil and sweet potato curry that was like a dal and some basmati rice.  I might have served brown rice but I had been cleaning the shower and knocked E's electric shaver into a bucket of water.  So the shaver went into a tub of brown rice rather than the brown rice going into dinner.

I ate my curry in front of the tennis.  The Australian Open is one of the few times in the year that I have any urge to watch sport on tv.   And by the time I had the curries and rice ready, Sylvia had gone to bed and E was at ukulele practice.  So I just sat back and enjoyed my curry to the sounds of summer: the thwack of the ball on raquet, the drone of the umpire's voice and sneakers squeaking on the court.  The tennis is now over and I am looking forward to some decent tv starting up again.

I am sending this curry to Meat Free Mondays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Gluten Free Fridays and Eat Your Greens.

More easy curries on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Banana curry (gf, v)
Chickpea and potato curry with mango chutney (gf, v)
Easy dahl (gf, v)
Spicy pea curry (gf, v)
Spinach and chickpea curry (gf, v)
Watermelon curry (gf, v)

Tofu and pea curry
Adapted from Everyday Healthy Recipes
Serves 4

2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
250-300g tofu
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp each cumin powder and turmeric
400g can of diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup coconut milk

Cut tofu into cubes.  Season and fry in 1 tbsp oil until golden brown.

Fry onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, cumin and turmeric for a few minutes.  Add tomato and salt.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir in peas and coconut milk.  Once peas defrost remove from heat.

NOTES: I found the mixture quite salty when I added the tsp of flaked salt.  Once it had cooked and had peas and coconut added it tasted wonderful.  I didn't include onions when frying up spices because I had fried onions leftover from another meal and used them.  I don't like a really spicy curry but if your tastes differ, you may want to add chillis, pepper and/or coriander.  I used chickpea tofu and sprinkled it with curry powder, salt and pepper, and tossed it about before frying.

On the Stereo:
The Days of Our Nights: Lunar 

13 comments:

  1. What a great looking dinner! There is a Chickpea Tofu recipe in Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen - it is super-easy to make and so delicious!! I think the recipe might be on her blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bowls and the chickpea tofu curry too. The colours are indeed vibrant. I am surprised it smelled though, maybe something to do with the packaging process. I often make my own Shan tofu, its pretty easy and cheap based on a Burmese Tofu. I adapted the recipe from a cookbook called Burma – Rivers of Flavor by Naomi Duguid (2012). But previous to discovering 'Burmese chickpea tofu' - chickpea chips were all the rage and I used to make them all the time. You may remember this blog post I wrote in 2010.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/home-made-chickpea-chips-or-fries.html
    I do love them, but not too much. Thank you for reminding me of recipes gone, You've inspired me to make them again or maybe I shall try the chickpea tofu again, seeing that I never blogged about it which is a shame. Thank you for sharing with EatYourGreens to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I'm completely intregued by the chickpea tofu, it's something I've not come across here in the UK - I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it! Love what you did with it, particularly that you made it into a tomato based curry rather than a creamy one. - just love tomatoes!
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of chickpea tofu! What an intriguing concept and I would love to try it if I come across it. It would be nice to have something different to soy as I worry sometimes how much soy gets added to things, and consequently how much of it I consume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I've never seen chickpea tofu before but we don't really buy tofu that much. What is the smell like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really tasty. I haven't tried chickpea tofu, but it sounds interesting, I will need to try if I see it anywhere. Thank you for sharing with Eat Your Greens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds delicious and I'd love to try chickpea tofu but haven't seen it anywhere yet. I only like tofu with strong flavours like curry, partly because of the texture so a more crumbly one would probably suit me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, it sounds like chickpea tofu may have something in common with shrimp paste, which smells appalling but tastes fine in the finished dish. Your curry looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of chick pea tofu before, but I've never seen it anywhere - now I'm certainly intrigued! Not sure about the smell, but I'm glad it turned out to be a temporary thing! Did the shaver recover?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I found chickpea tofu in the supermarket and was curious." I would be curious too! I was very excited when I once found hemp tofu... but it wasn't very good at all and it smelled terrible. Maybe anything other than soy tofu smells bad? I'd still be curious to try the chickpea one though as I'm not supposed to eat much soy.
    This sounds really delicious. Warm and comforting and filled with delicious spices. I'm not sure I"ll be able to track down chickpea tofu - I may just try this with plain old chickpeas.
    I hope you managed to save E's shaver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried that tofu yet, I'm interested to see (smell!) that smell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious! I tried hemp tofu before and I think it was okay. I only saw it that one time so I wasn't able to try it again. I would love to try chickpea tofu. Love the addition of peas to your curry! I'll have to try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not seen chickpea tofu before! Looks like it cooks up a great curry though. Shame I can't just hop on a plane and nip over for tea! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)