Sunday 24 August 2014

Vegan flourless almond choc chip cookies

I once made flourless peanut butter cookies before Sylvia was diagnosed with her peanut allergy.  They were delicious.  These days they are off the menu.  And I have often thought it a shame they weren't vegan.  I stumbled across a vegan version with almond butter recently and am in love.  They are simple to make and amazing to eat.

The recipe I followed was slightly quirky.  It used banana instead of egg and a crazy amount of choc chips.  You can never have too much chocolate!  Right!  In fact I was tempted to stop with the raw batter which tasted great.  But I pushed on and love love love the baked cookies.  They were most amazing when warm with gooey choc chips.  Even cold they were amazing: thin, crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle.  It is very hard to stop at one!

They remind me of cinnamon stars and Dreena Burton's sticky almond blondies.  As I only had regular dark choc chips from the supermarket they were sweet and not actually vegan.  I would love to try the recipe with chopped Lindt 70% dark chocolate. Maybe I could ditch the brown sugar and use all coconut sugar.  Lots of experiments to do.  I hope these cookies might grace our kitchen again soon.  I know we would all welcome them back.

I am sending these cookies to Healthy Vegan Fridays #10, hosted by Kimmy of Rock my Vegan Socks and Robin of Vegan Dollhouse.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
 One year ago: Chickpea pilaf
Two years ago: Top 10 photos, Pinterest, Delicious and Eat Your Books
Three years ago: CC Pumpernickel Rolls with Currants
Four years ago: Quince Curiosity
Five years ago: PPN Neofolk Buckwheat Pasta Bake
Six years ago: Lemony Dressing for a Quinoa Salad
Seven years ago: Midweek Mock Fish

Flourless almond choc chip cookies
Adapted from Cook with Manali
Makes about 24

250g almond butter (approximately 1 cup)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 smallish banana, mashed (1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup choc chips

Preheat oven to 180 C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Stir together almond butter and sugars.  Mix in mashed banana.  By now it will be quite stiff.  Stir in baking powder and choc chips.

Working quickly so the choc chips don't melt, roll mixture into walnut sized balls.  Place on tray and flatten with the palm of your hand.  Leave about 2 inches between cookies because they will spread.

Bake for 9-10 minutes for a chewy cookies, or a few more minutes for a crisp cookie.  Cool on tray for at least 10 minutes.  Continue cooling on tray or removing on the baking paper to a wire rack. 

On the Stereo:
The Best of Weddings Parties Everything.

28 comments:

  1. These sound intriguing and they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! And with that ingredients list how could they not be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look tasty - I think I shall have to give these a try this week, thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never resist a choc chip cookie - and these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be bookmarking this recipe! I tried making a different vegan and gluten-free choc-chip cookie recipe a few months ago and it turned out terribly. This one looks more promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy - it is amazing how with just nut butter they really have such a great texture - and I thought the banana would make them soft but it seems to work - enjoy

      Delete
  6. These look fabulous! I agree you can never have enough choc chips. I love the flavour of almond butter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - Manali - on the blog where I found the recipe - amused me by not only including so many recipes but also dotting with a few extra choc chips as they came out of the oven!!!!

      Delete
  7. Ooo these look so good. I love the simplicity of the ingredients! And the amount of choc chips- it gives me hope that my Sylvia will eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I think we were fighting over the last one because everyone loved them. My Sylvia was smitten so I hope yours is. And they were so quick to put together.

      Delete
  8. Look and sound amazing, they're next on my hit list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vegan cookies! I don't think I've ever made cookies without either eggs or butter. I'm sorry to hear Sylvia has an allergy to peanuts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I highly recommend this recipe as your foray into baking cookies without eggs or butter - they are amazing. And it is annoying that Sylvia has a peanut allergy but it is not life threatening and at least she can eat other nuts - am waiting for her to be retested as kids can grow out of allergies

      Delete
  10. These sound wonderful Johanna - very much my sort of cookie! I love the sound of your variations too. These would be fun to experiment with ;)

    Also, thanks for alerting me to the new HVF. I had completely missed it starting up with new hosts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I think there are many experiments you could make here (choc chips and cranberry woudl be good). Glad to remind you of Healthy Vegan Fridays - was pleased that Kimmy has kept it on with Robin and am keen to support it when I can - hopefully they will have lots of entries in vegan mofo

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful cookie, have all the ingredients on hands will be making this afternoon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I wish I had one (or maybe two...or maybe........) to go with my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe I like your strategy of adding lots of chocolate chips! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I actually used less choc chips than Manali (where I got recipe) - never though I would encounter someone who loves chocolate even more than me :-)

      Delete
  14. Wowzers, these look amazing! I was just about to start making some banana muffins to take to work for a thingo tomorrow, but maybe I should try these! Don't have any almond butter though...I wonder if I should make some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - well worth making almond butter for!!!

      Delete
  15. I want a big batch of these in my life! So ooey gooey yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really fascinated to give these a try. I'm not allergic to gluten, or have anything against it (unless you've got a gluten allergy) but I like to experiment with different ways to bake. These are now on my to bake list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I am not vegan or gf but like to have a good range of recipes for when I cook for others. I also think the experimenting with different ways of cooking gives a better understanding of 'normal' baking and makes me a better cook. Am sure you will love them

      Delete
  17. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, they look heavenly tasty!!!!!!!!! Isn’t banana the best?! Miam miam miam!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kimmy and I made these for one of our HVF posts, and ours didn't look nearly as cute as yours...haha. And oh my gawd! I just noticed that you and I do the same thing where we both write what music we were listening to while we were cooking!!! I ❤ you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)