Sunday 18 August 2013

Chickpea pilaf

It has been a busy weekend at the Fitzroy Market and a first birthday party, following hot on the heels of a busy week and Sylvia waking at night with a cough.  And then I find that Vegan MoFo is starting a month early.  I feel all done in.  (So is Sylvia - she fell asleep before tea.)  So today I share a simple weeknight Chickpea pilaf that will see you right through a night or two of leftovers.

Actually I feel a bit cheeky calling it a simple weeknight meal because I found it on Bite Sized Thoughts where Kari had it at a celebration meal.  Hers had sultanas, almonds, yoghurt and spinach.  Yet it is the sort of forgiving recipe that is flexible enough to accommodate your choice of vegies and spices.   It would also be a great dish at a potluck.

I used what I had on hand - peas, broccoli and tofu bacon.  I also changed the spices so it was not very spicy.  (This meant Sylvia could have a small taste.)  I really liked the mild flavours that allowed the vegies to shine.  E added both tabasco and worcestershire sauce because he loves his condiments far more than me.

I am grateful to Kari for bringing this dish to my attention.  It is the sort of dish I used to make regularly when I was first vegetarian.  Then I got bored.  Now I am rediscovering it and loving it.  Not that I ever had it with tofu bacon.  That is something we often have around because Sylvia loves it so much.

I think there is enough pilaf to serve 6 people if you don't snack on it during the day.  We had enough left on the the third night to eat with a pizza I made with a sourdough base.  The base was a bit undercooked but I loved the silverbeet topping.  I used tomato sauce, 1 onion sliced and fried, 3 medium silverbeet (chard) leaves fried with 3 cloves of garlic and 2-3 tbsp of sultanas and a pinch of salt, with cheese on top.  (And I guess that it would taste as good without cheese!)

Maybe pilaf and pizza aren't traditional dinner plate partners.  They were both delicious and worked surprisingly well together.  The ultimate plate of comfort!  I am sending the pilaf to Jac's Bookmarked Recipes event at Tinned Tomatoes.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: NCR African Curried Coconut Soup
Two years ago: Besan Vegetable Frittata and a week of eats
Three years ago: Mushroom and chocolate risotto
Four years ago: WHB Broccoli – brassica royalty
Five years ago: Soup for the Leguminous Evangelists
Six years ago:SHF #34: Pumpkin scones

Chickpea Pilaf
Adapted from Sanitarium via Bite Sized Thoughts
Serves 4 to 6

1 tbsp oil 
1 leek, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup peas (or sultanas)
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric 
generous shake of each cinnamon, allspice and ginger
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
400ml vegetable stock (oops I used 500ml)
300ml water
3/4 tsp salt, or to taste*
fried tofu bacon bits (or slivered almonds) to serve

Heat oil in a large saucepan (or stockpot).  Fry leek, carrots, rice, garlic, peas and spices for about 5 minutes over a medium high heat or until softened.  Add remaining ingredients (except tofu bacon).  Check and adjust seasoning.  Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 12 minutes.  Remove from heat and rest with lid still on for about 8 to 10 minutes.

*My chickpeas were unsalted when cooked.  You may need less if using tinned chickpeas.

On the Stereo:
Words and Music: Billy Connolly

21 comments:

  1. Aw, this is so much what I used to make and eat back home with my parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - definitely that sort of food - my mum actually cooked a cauliflower pilaf when I was down at her place the weekend before I made it!

      Delete
  2. It looks so tasty. I seriously shouldn't look at food blogs before dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - am sure you are having a tasty dinner yourself :-)

      Delete
    2. Can't remember what I did have that night. I can confess a sin tonight though. We are all poorly, so we had microwaved macaroni tonight, hehe.

      Oh and the roundup is now live.

      Jac
      :)

      Delete
  3. Very healthy and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of simple, nourishing food. Love the idea of topping it with tofu bacon to jazz it up a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - we have tofu bacon on lots of things because it is often about - I love that it gives a bit of salty smoky crunch!

      Delete
  5. Hope the little one is feeling better soon!!!! It seems that the sickness big just wont leave our house either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - sorry to hear you are still fighting it - Sylvia still has an impressive cough but at least is sleeping better

      Delete
  6. The change in month for Vegan MoFo was a surprise for me too! I also used to make this type of meal regularly but the man is pickier with what he likes to eat these days and isn't a huge fan of chickpeas. Perhaps the tofu bacon would get him on board?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - I checked only a few months back and there was nothing about the change in date so I started planning for Oct. The tofu bacon is nice in this so hope the man might try it because it is a great dish to make when you are busy or even as a side

      Delete
  7. I am grateful to you for bringing it back to my attention! I've been meaning to make it ever since I had it at my parent's place but it had slipped my mind. Your variation looks great!

    I'm also thrown by Vegan MoFo in September and sadly think I might have to skip it this year - extra disappointing after I'd started pondering my October MoFo posts, but perhaps I'll have an extra good year in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I really want this to go on my regular rotation but I do have a way of forgetting dishes. Sorry to hear you will have to skip mofo - you might just have to do more blog reading instead :-)

      Delete
  8. Looks lovely and really comforting. I don't make pilafs that often, as I' like my mother and sister in laws to make it, and then it feels like a treat. This recipe, I have to say looks yummy. I would like to have a go at making the tofu bacon, I made tofu jerky a few years back and D hated it. I wonder if he will take to tofu bacon, he's a huge fan of No Meat Athletes facon back. Hope the little lady is feelign much better now too. OH must mention that I have signed up for VeganMoFo this year. Looking forward to participating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - my mum made a pilaf recently but it isn't a regular meal in my family - food made by others is a treat. If you like the no meat athlete facon you may like this I prefer this one and it is so much easier to make. Sylvia is on the mend, thanks! And v excited you have signed up for mofo - will look forward to your posts

      Delete
  9. This sounds like my kind of meal! I love chickpeas, will definitely be trying this one sometime soon. I don't think I have had tofu bacon before though haha. Thanks for the great recipe :)

    Reanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reanna - hope you enjoy it - highly recommend you try tofu bacon - we use it heaps because we love it so much and it add a bit of pizzazz to so many meals

      Delete
  10. This looks delish! Hope Sylvia's cough is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - the cough is lingering but sylvia is on the mend

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)